View Poll Results: Should Blizzard introduce more LGBT characters?

Voters
311. This poll is closed
  • Yes

53 17.04%
  • No

258 82.96%
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    They are represented ingame. Rather tastefully, I might add. Whether they add any more such characters specifically really shouldn't matter. People should want to see new characters be well written and engaging, regardless.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Eucaliptus View Post
    Seriously, how would lgbt character look like? I dont see any difference irl...
    LGBT people don't look different. I understand what you mean though.

Take a quest to save someone for instance, why isn't there quests where you go save someone's lover and they're both man?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Talk about double standards, so it is perfectly fine that FF14 does not have LGBT rep in it, but for some reason WoW must have LGBT rep in it.. Talk about a load of bollocks..
    FFXIV doesn't have heterosexual representation either. That's what I meant

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW hardly focusses on sexual orientation at all. Given that LGBT are, in real life, pretty small minorities, there is little incentive to make their representation in the game disproportionately large such that it becomes noticeable.

Several people have already mentioned examples of gay characters in game. Hell they even had a gay dragon (Theralion from Bastion of Twilight).

I think what you're asking for is for it to be more over the top, in your face. It doesn't need to be. It should be something you don't even notice unless you're specifically looking for it, which is exactly as it is right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    I've come to an amazing realization about the representation of the LGBT community in game. It's non-existent

But why is that? For the most part we all live in a liberal societies where people that oppose homosexuality are branded as homophobic buffoons, they're banned from public places of discussion based on that. Laws are being written everyday that further legalize homosexuality and derivatives. Nowadays the norm is to be open about your sexuality, gender identity is a thing and not frowned upon. It's basically the new norm

Why is Blizzard so against creating characters that represent the LGBT community? I've searched a little bit and there are a few minor, obscure characters that hint at being homosexual, but they never openly admit it. So it's just open to interpretation.

You see it everywhere, movies changing actors to accommodate non-racist thoughts, main characters changing genders and race for the sake of racial and gender diversity. But not in World of Warcraft.

I believe it to be a stance Blizzard is making, which is a dangerous stance to make in today's age where contrary opinions are branded as offensive as a way to silence them.

Do you believe Blizzard should pay more attention to the LGBT community which feels oppressed and not represented in their favorite fantasy game ? Or are things fine as they are?

EDIT:Some of you got the wrong idea, I'm against LGBT characters. I just don't understand why Blizzard is against introducing them when the society around them is so friendly towards them
    Yes you might see it 'everywhere', what you are seeing is instead of creating new characters and giving them their own original story you are seeing what amounts to theft, misappropriation and a lack of creativity.

Perhaps Blizzard would rather make a game that we all love instead of trying to push some social agenda and alienating people that want to play a video game based in a fantasy world instead of having their real world try and shove some social agenda in their face.

PS. Your posting this thread says more than your half-hearted retreat.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    why isn't there quests where you go save someone's lover and they're both man?
    Because it isn't needed.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    FFXIV doesn't have heterosexual representation either. That's what I meant
    You do know what hetrosexual means don't you..

It would be nice if they added gay characters to the game, they have some options already with Anduin-Wrathion or with Koltira-Thassarian.

I don't think they "should" in the sense of feeling obligated because of outside pressure, the same way I don't like when adaptations change the race of characters just for the sake of pandering, but I mean...right now the 2 options above are really convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    WoW hardly focusses on sexual orientation at all. Given that LGBT are, in real life, pretty small minorities, there is little incentive to make their representation in the game disproportionately large such that it becomes noticeable.

Several people have already mentioned examples of gay characters in game. Hell they even had a gay dragon (Theralion from Bastion of Twilight).

I think what you're asking for is for it to be more over the top, in your face. It doesn't need to be. It should be something you don't even notice unless you're specifically looking for it, which is exactly as it is right now.
    I'm not asking for it, actually I oppose it.

We're talking about extremely obscure characters from random side quests that you only realize there's something different about them upon reading lots of text.

On the other hand we have Thrall getting married and having children.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hipnos14 View Post
    It would be nice if they added gay characters to the game, they have some options already with Anduin-Wrathion or with Koltira-Thassarian.

I don't think they "should" in the sense of feeling obligated because of outside pressure, the same way I don't like when adaptations change the race of characters just for the sake of pandering, but I mean...right now the 2 options above are really convincing.
    What is that fantasy with Anduin and Wration? Seriously..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    You do know what hetrosexual means don't you..
    Why do you think that?

What is that fantasy with Anduin and Wration? Seriously...
    It's because they're cuuuuute together. #AbsolutelyNotBiased

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Yes you might see it 'everywhere', what you are seeing is instead of creating new characters and giving them their own original story you are seeing what amounts to theft, misappropriation and a lack of creativity.

Perhaps Blizzard would rather make a game that we all love instead of trying to push some social agenda and alienating people that want to play a video game based in a fantasy world instead of having their real world try and shove some social agenda in their face.

PS. Your posting this thread says more than your half-hearted retreat.
    What retreat are you talking about exactly?

It is my opinion that Blizzard shouldn't introduce LGBT characters. I also find it very confusing that such a liberal company wouldn't introduce them

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrad Wagner View Post
    It's because they're cuuuuute together. #AbsolutelyNotBiased
    Isn't Wration the last black dragon or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    I know the game you're playing already, but you still haven't given me my number.

With lgbt being only ~3% of the population, you can't be up in arms until you've shown that they're going out of their way to ignore them. Give me my number.
    Your number? Your number is 0

ZERO relevant characters

We don't need LGBT stuff in video games (and I say this as a gay guy), it ruined BioWare and all of their games since DA:I. As long as we keep insisting on all of that nothing will change because it's still not regarded as normal but as something special (when it isn't).

10+ Year Old Account
    While veganism is a healthy diet, I fail to see how it equates to the representation of lgbt people
    Gallup reports that ~4.1% identify as LGBT, and its reported that ~3.2% claim to be vegetarian, with another 0.5% claiming to be vegan... Why shouldn't Vegetarian/Vegans be represented?

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted

That's a fair question
    It's not. because there is earth religion in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Because it isn't needed.
    So are heterosexual rescue missions all that is needed? Why not create one quest where the "princess" is actually a man?

There are things in life which are not worth disputing. Letting them call themselves a community is one of them
    Let them call themselves that, doesn't mean you have to call them that and argue when people say they are not.

Deleted
    So Tickol is this all facts or did you read an opinion piece and got confused again?

10+ Year Old Account
    But then Blizzard are very disingenuous about their product
    Disingenuous how? Please explain. I think your claim that you are against LGBT characters is what is disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Gallup reports that ~4.1% identify as LGBT, and its reported that ~3.2% claim to be vegetarian, with another 0.5% claiming to be vegan... Why shouldn't Vegetarian/Vegans be represented?
    You're right. They should. I'm sorry I rushed to conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    So Tickol is this all facts or did you read an opinion piece and got confused again?
    There's little facts about it. There's a few obscure characters 95% of players don't know about which hint at homosexuality or other sexual tendencies.

On the other hand we have Thrall having babies and getting married.