View Poll Results: Should Blizzard introduce more LGBT characters?

Voters
311. This poll is closed
  • Yes

53 17.04%
  • No

258 82.96%
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    if I have to get through an entire quest chain of thrall , his wife and children then straight people have to experience gay couples as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    I've come to an amazing realization about the representation of the LGBT community in game. It's non-existent
    Wrong. It exists. You have this Christmas' OW comic that caused an uproar because it showed Tracer kissing a girl and insinuating she was lesbian (or bi), which was later confirmed by the designers.

But why is that? For the most part we all live in a liberal societies where people that oppose homosexuality are branded as homophobic buffoons, they're banned from public places of discussion based on that. Laws are being written everyday that further legalize homosexuality and derivatives. Nowadays the norm is to be open about your sexuality, gender identity is a thing and not frowned upon. It's basically the new norm
    Let me ask you. Why is manifestating the sexual orientation of a VIDEOGAME CHARACTER relevant and or important?

In the vast majority of games, the sexual orientation of the character is IRRELEVANT. Taking OW as an example again, WHY did the devs have to show the world "this character is gay, this one is hetero, this one is..."?

I understand sexual orientation to be shown on adequate videogames, like dating sims, erogames, or even RPGs if the plot spins around the idea of a relationship. But in World of Warcraft? Diablo? Starcraft? Overwatch? The sexual preferences of characters in those games is completely irrelevant. Therefore, talking about it not only is a waste of time and effort, but also a potential landmine of problems (not only in the sense of "hate", but also the consequences of putting the focus in a sexual orientation instead of the actual plot).

Why is Blizzard so against creating characters that represent the LGBT community? I've searched a little bit and there are a few minor, obscure characters that hint at being homosexual, but they never openly admit it. So it's just open to interpretation.
    That's where you're wrong, kiddo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEgzLCkUp6k

They clearly state there are many LGBT characters in OW.

http://fraghero.com/blizzard-reveals...et-going-nuts/

There's also a twitter of Michael Chu about Tracer, confirming she's lesbian:
    https://twitter.com/westofhouse/stat...10259737137152

And I maintain my posture. I have nothing against LGBT. But I don't like sexual orientations (be it LGBT, hetero or fetish) to be mentioned in videogames if the videogame doesn't need info about it.

You see it everywhere, movies changing actors to accommodate non-racist thoughts, main characters changing genders and race for the sake of racial and gender diversity. But not in World of Warcraft.
    And why do you care so much about the sexual orientation of a war-focused videogame? Does it matter if a character is gay, lesbian, asexual or w/e? It has NO RELEVANCE, so there's no need to actually make a character hetero, homo, bi or w/e thing you want to imagine.

EDIT:Some of you got the wrong idea, I'm against LGBT characters. I just don't understand why Blizzard is against introducing them when the society around them is so friendly towards them
    If there's no need to call for a sexual orientation, why should they spend time on it? It's only getting on a landmine field of problems and useless arguments.
    Last edited by Insofin; 2017-07-11 at 12:59 PM.

You have a fair point there. As a left-handed individual I would actually like if they changed that about their game.

You should put yourself on the shoes of other people to realize how feeling not represented in the world around you can damage you
    If you are damaged because youre not "represented" in a video game, you have much bigger problems than that. You talk about being treated normally, but the LGBT community doesn't act normal. You guys have to make sure EVERYONE knows your preference. You don't just live your lives like normal human beings, you shove your beliefs into every ones faces and want them to conform to making you feel better.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who would go around Azeroth actively searching for LGBT characters?
    Who would actively question a perceived lack of of them if they didn't support their inclusion

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe there are tons of LGBT characters in WoW, we just don't know about it. The fact is that almost no NPCs in WoW have any kind of relationships to speak of, at least none that we know about.

Relationships are beyond the point. You can be a trans-gender single person
    How do you know that the NPC isn't transgendered?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    If you are damaged because youre not "represented" in a video game, you have much bigger problems than that. You talk about being treated normally, but the LGBT community doesn't act normal. You guys have to make sure EVERYONE knows your preference. You don't just live your lives like normal human beings, you shove your beliefs into every ones faces and want them to conform to making you feel better.
    that's exactly how straight people do all the time, why di I have to get through an entire questchain of thrall sexual preferences?

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Who would actively question a perceived lack of of them if they didn't support their inclusion
    Someone who is trying to start a fire on the forum because that's how he is having fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would rather NOT have LGBT characters. If they are to be integrated, I want quality characters that have their stories well built, being gay or identifying as a wolf should be secondary
    If you would rather NOT have them why exactly does this thread exist? Why are you so vocal about their being identified as LGBT? Are you secretly plotting to attack those NPCs if ever given the chance?

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    good grief

It's a video game, not a platform to force ur insecurities down other ppls throat.

84% no.

Good to see that the majority (just like in real life) does not want to see this garbage shoved down everyone's throats, specially in-game where it has no reason to.

Quote Originally Posted by Insofin View Post

And why do you care so much about the sexual orientation of a war-focused videogame? Does it matter if a character is gay, lesbian, asexual or w/e? It has NO RELEVANCE, so there's no need to actually make a character hetero, homo, bi or w/e thing you want to imagine.
    Personally I think this is the least convincing argument. Protecting your loved ones is a powerful motivator for going off to war and defeating bad guys. Similarly, reminiscing about those you've left behind isn't unusual. Having characters talk about the people they miss, the people they're defending wouldn't be bizarre, regardless of their orientation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    It's a video game, not a platform to force ur insecurities down other ppls throat.
    then why do I have to get through an entire questchain of thrall sexual preferences?

Quote Originally Posted by wikinger View Post
    84% no.

Good to see that the majority (just like in real life) does not want to see this garbage shoved down everyone's throats, specially in-game where it has no reason to.
    majority mmoc users are homophobe, that's no surprise

LGBT can suck my tiny little penis.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well first of all: Does WoW have anything to gain from having a very open gay character in the game? Does it give something to any character, that we get to know their sexuality? They are very few characters in the game, who actually have a sexuallity so it is not surprising, that nobody is open gay.

And finally, who says that there is no gay characters in the game? You can't see that a person is gay from their looks. I can talk all day with my lesbian friend and at no point find out that she is gay. Having an openly gay character in WoW, to a point where you see them as gay or hear them talk about being gay, will just create a mismatched character, who does not match up with the other characters at all.

This is just like the entire Wrathion-Anduin thing: People wanting to pressure something into the game, that is simply not needed.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are some LGBT characters in WoW. Some are rather obvious as well.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Sexuality#Homosexuality

With that said, I'm not sure what to feel about adding them. I can't help but feel every addition is merely some token gesture, with little to no meaning behind them. I think I'd prefer we left them out completely, or at most leave some small hints if some NPC's might be. Guess what we have now is fine.

If Blizzard can pull off a meaningful LGBT character, then I'm all for it. But if it's written to be one "just cause", I'd rather it was left out entirely, or perhaps left in the sidelines, like some of the characters that are mentioned in the Wowpedia I linked.

World of Warcraft is, after all, a fantasy game. It doesn't need to have real life equivalents, be it sexuality, skin color, religion or whatever.
    Last edited by Santti; 2017-07-11 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masteryuri View Post
    then why do I have to get through an entire questchain of thrall sexual preferences?
    Which quest chain is that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    Because he's a known troll and just wants people to take the bait.
    I suspect you are correct, I want him to admit it instead of changing direction faster than a possessed Roomba

Because World of Warcraft is oriented to the international audience, which generally dislike sexual deviations depicted in 12+ games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    Personally I think this is the least convincing argument. Protecting your loved ones is a powerful motivator for going off to war and defeating bad guys. Similarly, reminiscing about those you've left behind isn't unusual. Having characters talk about the people they miss, the people they're defending wouldn't be bizarre, regardless of their orientation.
    finally a good post, so there are still intelligent people here