Poll: Do you like Warcraft's lore?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Do you still like Warcraft lore?

Has anyone ever asked this?

The question is do you still like Warcraft lore? Are you still interested in it? And if you do not, why?

Mine is unclear really, but I think I'm on the red side of things. Blizzard really turned this franchise's story to a walking retcon machine. Legion was great in terms of story development, yes, but with the whole glorifying Illidan bullshit, some characters having unbreakable plot armors (I'm looking at you Sylvanas) based on their popularity, and other characters having lame deaths (Tirion) and shitty out of character drama (Thrall) just because they lost popularity and had to have their weapons given to player characters because of a new gameplay mechanic... not so much.

(Thought of posting this thread on the General subforum but it kinda seemed off since it was more like an out of lore but still a lore question. But hey.)

Uh.

Ye.

/thread

Yes... Regardless of how MUCH I like it, I'm kind of invested in it so have an interest in where it's going and what we do. That said, I am currently enjoying the story, even if it does fill a lot of tropes.

Warcraft will stay THE game of my heart and I love the lore. They are some decisions I don't like at all (Kael'Thas... what have they done to you...) but still... I like it.

Also, Sylvanas had unbreakable plot armor? WHAT?!

She just suffered a BIG loss at Stormheim.

Like, are we just going to forget the events that went on there?

10+ Year Old Account
    If I didn't I wouldn't come here. Raiding and lore is why I play, yes.
    Last edited by Shampro; 2017-07-13 at 04:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Definitely still enjoy and like Warcraft lore. I won't say that the extensive canon of the universe is issue-free as I think pretty much everyone has seen moments where retcons and inconsistencies make the story fall flat in places. But the Warcraft universe, owing to its age and extensive scope, has subtleties and background which is a rare occurrence for a video game setting. That this forum can have sprawling discussions and debates about the motivations, outcomes, and reasons for occurrences in the game while calling back to its own internal history is all part and parcel of the lore's enduring charm.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Funny, I just started asking myself this question.

I've been watching endless videos on Game of Thrones lore/theory, and it really exposes how shallow WoW lore can be at times in comparison. Especially when they have these panels where it feels like they're making up stuff on the fly.

And certain things in wow lore seemed laborious or for whatever reason, didn't sit with me well. In particular I've never been a fan of the Naaru or Void Lords. As a concept, they lacked creativity and were overall uninteresting to me. Not to mention the Naaru are just floating ornaments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I like it in the same way i like prune juice. Hate/love relationship.

That being said, i wasn't able to enjoy it since the shitfest of MoP that destroyed horde, and left me disillusioned.

On the other hand, my love for mudmug keeps me going. No matter how bad things may seem, there is always mug.

Somewhat. Lich King lore was the best though and I don't believe they can't top the Frozen Throne arc.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

I liked it until Legion, more or less. And I even like a lot of Legion's story.

mostly I just hate putting up with illidan as a good guy again. I liked him better when he was a petty jerk that we beat and threw in prison

also void lords are dumb

Deleted
    No. I don't feel it is epic anymore. I think it has to do with player characters being heroes on-par with the actual heroes of lore in terms of power, importance, recognition or responsibility. Being hoisted up has just hoisted the legend down for me.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm trying to, but they are not making it easy!

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post

/thread
    Uh.

Because you have the only opinion that matters.

No.

Played since TBC, never paid any interest in the lore - have no idea who anyone really is xD
    Bar Lich King

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Well...uh, technically... nah.

Warcraft is a great universe and I follow all the lore updates... but it feels like it's being wasted on people who can't write interesting stories to suit this world.

Too much focus on world-ending threats and silly references. Not enough on the little interesting plot lines.
    The old world isn't updated enough, it might as well not exist, it practically fades into the background as they shift their focus to other planets and smaller continents.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Well...uh, technically... nah.

Warcraft is a great universe and I follow all the lore updates... but it feels like it's being wasted on people who can't write interesting stories to suit this world.

Too much focus on world-ending threats and silly references. Not enough on the little interesting plot lines.
    The old world isn't updated enough, it might as well not exist, it practically fades into the background as they shift their focus to other planets and smaller continents.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Every expac has been trying to one-up the previous in terms of epic-ness.

That's why I say WoW lore is shallow at times, it's all about being grander and grander, as if the audience lacks intelligence for smaller, interesting plotlines. Though the writers involved might struggle to make such plotlines at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Uh.

Because you have the only opinion that matters.

No.
    Since when did I say that my opinion matters?

I don't understand what you're saying!

When I say "/Thread", I'm only ending my opinion on the subject. I'm not speaking for everyone else!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syriane View Post
    No. I don't feel it is epic anymore. I think it has to do with player characters being heroes on-par with the actual heroes of lore in terms of power, importance, recognition or responsibility. Being hoisted up has just hoisted the legend down for me.
    And why hate that? After all the shit we've been through, we kind of deserve this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    Since when did I say that my opinion matters?

I don't understand what you're saying!

When I say "/Thread", I'm only ending my opinion on the subject. I'm not speaking for everyone else!
    Typically, "/thread" is a sarcastic retort in which a poster means that either their own post, or a previous one, should end the discussion and close out the thread. It doesn't tend to mean it's just your own opinion on the subject - most people take it to mean that you're implying your statement (or the one you've quoted) is the quintessential final word on the matter.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Typically, "/thread" is a sarcastic retort in which a poster means that either their own post, or a previous one, should end the discussion and close out the thread. It doesn't tend to mean it's just your own opinion on the subject - most people take it to mean that you're implying your statement (or the one you've quoted) is the quintessential final word on the matter.
    Ah, I see.

Well, maybe they shouldn't take it like that, then!

Not going to say /10chars since that kind of get annoying!

Either way, what I'm saying doesn't go for anyone else. So, there's that.