Poll: Should Blizzard Create another MMO??

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Highly doubt it. As much money as WoW still makes they have found that they can make a ton of money from smaller games with less upkeep. I feel like when/if WoW ever finally dies in the somewhat forseeable future they will just focus on smaller games like Hearthstone, Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm. Will also probably see them keep Warcraft alive (outside of Hearthstone) as a new RTS or maybe an RPG or something.

Deleted
    There is...one more probability...a very bad thing to happen.

It could be that Blizzard is working at a survival game, like Player Unknown's Battlegrounds. It's the only genre they didn't tap yet, and it's also a casual multiplayer game like Blizzard makes now.

When it comes to MMOs the trend has come and gone. I don't think we're about to see any new successful MMOs in awhile. Especialy since the devs can make more money these days with micro transactions and DLCs than they woould ever make with monthly sub. My money is either on Starcraft FPS that would emulate Mass Effect. I don't think they'll use WoW as a springboard for anything, at least not as long as WoW is around, and to use it when it's in decline is a marketing suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I wouldn't count on them ever doing another MMO. Gaming generally has moved on from the MMO genre. Which is one reason why most of them have failed.

Just to be clear I don't think they'll do an RTS any time soon either. If there's a genre that is more dead than MMORPG at this point it would be RTS.
    Agreed with your first statement.

But only half agree on the second. The demand for a WC4 has been pretty high, but yeah RTS in general are dying. However, I think blizzard has what it takes to bring bac kthe genre with something fresh that stands out and make people interested in RTS again. Something that they just couldn't do with SC2 because it has very strong core foundation in SC1 that they couldn't steer away from. Let's not be stupid here, SC1 was one of the closest to perfection game ever made, it would have been dumb on their part to make something weird out of SC2. But WC has always been a bit more experimental, it would be a nice opportunity to bring up something out of the box and wow people with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want another lame copy like they did with Overwatch. Give me RTS or go home Kottick, you greedy...

10+ Year Old Account
    mmorpgs aren't as popular as they once were so I don't see them doing another but who knows maybe a brand new IP can reignite interest in the gaming community.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrene View Post
    Blizzard said they won't make another MMO because they don't want to be known as the "MMO company". Of course they don't seem to have a problem with being known as the "makers of average, casual, multiplayer-centric games, to be milked for months until their hype dies down and so do they".

On topic. The only thing that would interest me, and quite a lot, would be a Starcraft MMO with 3 factions.
    I'll vote for this for "most whiney off-topic post of the month".

I think Diablo 4 is coming, and I think it'll have MMO-elements, just like its superior (right now) Path of Exile.

Deleted
    should close all WoW servers and focus on the only decent game Blizzard has which is heroes of the storm.

Deleted
    No. By the time WoW is worth pulling the plug on, Blizzard would presumably have lost credibility in the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankdruid View Post
    should close all WoW servers and focus on the only decent game Blizzard has which is heroes of the storm.
    I can see you're an entrepreneur of many successes, with that attitude.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    No. By the time WoW is worth pulling the plug on, Blizzard would presumably have lost credibility in the genre.
    Welp yeah, because the EQ developers have no credibility on Kickstarter these days.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I can see you're an entrepreneur of many successes, with that attitude.

- - - Updated - - -

Welp yeah, because the EQ developers have no credibility on Kickstarter these days.
    I don't really know what you're trying to say, Blizzard could do much better by venturing out than running on its MMO reputation.

I'm unsure. Not likely though. Hotbar MMO's are already pretty stagnant and Blizzard own the best grossing MMO of all time anyway, which just happens to be a hotbar MMO. They wouldn't do an FPS MMO because that would be in direct competition with Destiny 2. If they do do another MMO,. I expect it to be pretty innovative and different from what we currently have.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    MMOs are all but dead at this point. Sure new ones pop up all the time but they barely last.

I could see Blizz trying to develop a heavily story driven single player RPG. Something in the mold of the Elder Scrolls franchise.
    I think that we'll never see Blizzard doing a single player game. Since Warcraft I they have been focusing in multiplayer more and more, and due to the current state of the industry, they will probably follow that path. Maybe if they do Warcraft IV we'll have the campaign, but of course the focus will be in the multiplayer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    MMORPG or RTS? A game of kinda dead genre or a game of dead genre? Hmmm... Hard choice T_T
    RTS were dead when Starcraft II launched IMO. I'm confident that we'll see a Warcraft IV eventually.
    Last edited by Darkarath; 2017-07-14 at 05:02 PM.
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    I don't really know what you're trying to say, Blizzard could do much better by venturing out than running on its MMO reputation.
    What I'm trying to say is a direct dispute of your first comment where you said Blizzard would lose MMO credibility when WoW is worth pulling the plug on. They won't, probably ever, aside from the vocal minority that keeps predicting WoWs death.

I think the MMO genre has had its day, similar to RTS. I think the main issue with an MMO is that they tend to be grindy time-sinks that keep you paying to be able to play it. They're not like usual games where you can pick it up, play the game for a few hours and get a lot done (or even complete the game fully), and then decide to trade in when you're done. In an MMO it could take you that long just to get basic shit done.

On top of that, a lot of MMOs fail to get off the ground because the market is becoming smaller and smaller, and most people don't want to try another MMO if they're already committed to one already, because they don't want to start from scratch and/or leave an MMO that they've spent so much time and money on, especially if that new MMO is also subscription-based.

Having said that, in lieu of my last point, WoW has also monopolized on the MMO market along with FFXIV. But I think the reason why WoW and FFXIV did so well is because they were made on the backs of an existing and well-loved franchise (Warcraft and Final Fantasy respectively.) I think Blizzard, should they decide to do another MMO, would be able to make one based on either Starcraft or Diablo. But if they were to do that, then they'd need to get past one of the earlier stated problems of moving or playing another MMO: people don't want to pay for multiple subscriptions. So they either:

-- Make this new MMO around microtransactions (similar to GW2 and not, say, SWTOR);
    -- Or have it share the same monthly subscription as WoW, so it's effectively a buy-one-get-one-free if you're only playing one of them, or a two-for-one deal if you play both.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    No, they won't.

And WoW2 would not only be risky, but downright retarded as a venture when WoW is 13 years old yet pulls a billion USD per year, growing its profits. They wouldn't risk that good will and the dedicated playerbase to try and create something new for people whom are mentally over the WoW universe.
    The delusion is real.

honestly, remembering the outcry after finding out SC Ghost was axed and knowing it would have made a good base for a starcraft MMO, im pretty sure NOTHING would save them if they did a new mmo that wasnt starcraft
    Never believe you have seen the peak of human stupidity and ignorance, or you will constantly be surprised by the new levels the reach almost every day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    What I'm trying to say is a direct dispute of your first comment where you said Blizzard would lose MMO credibility when WoW is worth pulling the plug on. They won't, probably ever, aside from the vocal minority that keeps predicting WoWs death.
    I guess my impression is just that all the people who played WoW and stopped for whatever reason would be less interested in picking up another Blizzard MMO, when Blizzard could make something else instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    The delusion is real.
    How is it delusional? Are you saying their earnings calls are lies?

Haha... Although I'll give you one right, the 800 million USD they made from WoW during a bad year (last 4 quarters of WoD) is not EXACTLY 1 billion USD... But, considering profits have grown and Legion so far has performed better than WoD financially, 1 billion USD is not being "delusional".

The only delusional saps are people whom are so convinced that this game and Blizzard as a company ain't making absolute bank.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-07-14 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    The delusion is real.
    Either that or he thinks that the next decimal after a million is a billion, and not 10 million.