Need some advice monitor/TV setup

Hey guys.
    I'm at a bit of xroads in my PC upgrade. I own a R9 280X and a 32 inch FHD TV. I play only WoW atm, at 8/10, but might do some CS or NFS in the future. If you can, please do not advice for some SF stuff, because I can't justify spending 1000$ on a monitor or GPU, regardless of the games I play.
    I want to upgrade my display and I can't decide. Naturally I went straight to a TV, thought UHD was the best. But there are no 32 inch 4K TVs. So I searched for monitors 1440p and there I hit a brick wall. I can't purchase a 1440p 144Hz and IPS monitor. So I have to settle between 1440p IPS or 1440p 144Hz TN. So many mixed reviews. But I did read that IPS should be better for WoW than refr rate.
    I found the following:
    Dell u2715h and Acer xg270hu. The Acer is ~130$ more than Dell.
    This is where my best bang for the buck comes in. I want to upgrade my GPU also, hopefully the mining craze ends. I was aiming for a 1060 or RX580, but I did find some 980ti at a very decent price. I could use that 130$ to get the 980ti(or 1070 if lucky), which should blow 1060 out of the water. But now comes the refresh rate in play. With my current GPU i dont get past 60 fps so the Dell is purfect, but with 980ti I might, so the Acer might fit better.
    I also want to change the TV to UHD. Lowest I found was 40 inch, which is enough for me. But my R9 will never handle UHD. And 40 inches at 1 m away is going to fuck me up. Not to mention my eyes and neck will break from all that movement.
    Regarding GPU, when would it be a good time to upgrade. When the mining ends, the market will be flooded with affordable GPUs, but there is a risk that you get a very used one. Also when will the bubble burst? The 980ti looks like it stood still on the market. Here they cost around 400$. Used yes, but with warranty. I'm also thinking I can sell my R9 for a better price now than after the mining ends.

So tldr:
    - 1440p IPS vs 144Hz regardless of how powerful the GPU is
    - 4k UHD TV set at 60Hz, but with the right GPU might reach ultra @50-60 fps
    - when to buy GPU?
    - sell current GPU now and buy 980ti for a decent price.

Thank you for the help. I suck at picking parts. I like to read and read and read and the more I read, the harder it gets to pick SOMETHING...

Quote Originally Posted by Hellshout View Post
    Hey guys.
    I'm at a bit of xroads in my PC upgrade. I own a R9 280X and a 32 inch FHD TV. I play only WoW atm, at 8/10, but might do some CS or NFS in the future. If you can, please do not advice for some SF stuff, because I can't justify spending 1000$ on a monitor or GPU, regardless of the games I play.
    I want to upgrade my display and I can't decide. Naturally I went straight to a TV, thought UHD was the best. But there are no 32 inch 4K TVs. So I searched for monitors 1440p and there I hit a brick wall. I can't purchase a 1440p 144Hz and IPS monitor. So I have to settle between 1440p IPS or 1440p 144Hz TN. So many mixed reviews. But I did read that IPS should be better for WoW than refr rate.
    I found the following:
    Dell u2715h and Acer xg270hu. The Acer is ~130$ more than Dell.
    This is where my best bang for the buck comes in. I want to upgrade my GPU also, hopefully the mining craze ends. I was aiming for a 1060 or RX580, but I did find some 980ti at a very decent price. I could use that 130$ to get the 980ti(or 1070 if lucky), which should blow 1060 out of the water. But now comes the refresh rate in play. With my current GPU i dont get past 60 fps so the Dell is purfect, but with 980ti I might, so the Acer might fit better.
    I also want to change the TV to UHD. Lowest I found was 40 inch, which is enough for me. But my R9 will never handle UHD. And 40 inches at 1 m away is going to fuck me up. Not to mention my eyes and neck will break from all that movement.
    Regarding GPU, when would it be a good time to upgrade. When the mining ends, the market will be flooded with affordable GPUs, but there is a risk that you get a very used one. Also when will the bubble burst? The 980ti looks like it stood still on the market. Here they cost around 400$. Used yes, but with warranty. I'm also thinking I can sell my R9 for a better price now than after the mining ends.

So tldr:
    - 1440p IPS vs 144Hz regardless of how powerful the GPU is
    - 4k UHD TV set at 60Hz, but with the right GPU might reach ultra @50-60 fps
    - when to buy GPU?
    - sell current GPU now and buy 980ti for a decent price.

Thank you for the help. I suck at picking parts. I like to read and read and read and the more I read, the harder it gets to pick SOMETHING...
    First off, not sure why you " Naturally went straight to a TV" for a computer monitor. That's the opposite of what people naturally do. Also, of course there are not 32" 4K TVs. At the average distance people sit from a TV(not a monitor) you don't need 4K at 32". You only need 4K at larger sizes where the pixels become more apparent. Monitors, yes, there are 27" 4K Monitors, because people generally sit closer to a Monitor and at 1080p/1440p at around 24"/27" you start to see pixels. That's basically what larger resolutions are made for, larger screens.

Also, no a 980ti is not going to blow a 1060 out of the water. It will be better, by about 20%. Ina PCGamer 16 Game average, the 980ti averaged 71.3 FPS at 1440p and the 1060 averaged 55.7. The 980ti had dips a min FPS below 60 as well, even though the average was higher. Personally, I would not consider that gain worth it for the price of a 980ti. Not when they are still selling new for around $800 and used around $300. At those prices, get a 1070, especially if you are planning on 1440p. Once the bubble does pop, which we don't really know when, but I think I've heard it's "soon" so the next couple months maybe? These things are not easy to predict.

As for specifics on which TV/Monitor, I'll leave that to someone who knows more. @Fascinate always seems to find great deals. @Remilia and @Artorius know this stuff very well as well. I tagged them, so they should see this and respond, eventually.

As for when to buy a GPU, that's up to you. If an approximate 15-20FPS(possibly less in some games, for WoW you'll get a gain in open areas but next to nothing in any CPU Bound situation, ie. Raids, Cities, Suramar) gain is worth $400 to you, then do it now. If it was me, I'd wait for the bubble to pop and get a 1070 or a next gen xx70.

Also, why IPS? Do you NEED the better viewing angles for any reason? It's a myth that IPS has better colors. Yes, low-end TNs have worse colors, but there are TNs capable of producing the same colors as an IPS. The IPS also has what is referred to as "IPS Glow" which is not on TNs and TNs have faster response times generally.

So, in short, if it were me, I'd buy a 1440p 27"/32" TN Panel Monitor with G-Sync now and hold of on a GPU. The G-Sync will replace V-Sync so in situations where you drop below 60FPS, you still see your actual FPS instead of dropping to 30FPS. This will extend the life of your current GPU by a bit and allow you to save up and wait for the market to settle.

Thanks for the reply.
    Naturally because after I switched from laptops 2 years ago, I bought a 32 inch TV as monitor and I liked it a lot.
    I considered the 980ti over 1060 because it's the same or cheaper, but I will keep an eye out for a 1070. I read they are good, but I can't touch one atm without selling my car.
    I am on a G3258 atm and I plan to upgrade the CPU next week. I was aiming a 4690k like you have in the sig, but I might get a 4790k, maybe get lucky enough and reach 5k GHz. I should focus more on the CPU, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellshout View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    Naturally because after I switched from laptops 2 years ago, I bought a 32 inch TV as monitor and I liked it a lot.
    I considered the 980ti over 1060 because it's the same or cheaper, but I will keep an eye out for a 1070. I read they are good, but I can't touch one atm without selling my car.
    I am on a G3258 atm and I plan to upgrade the CPU next week. I was aiming a 4690k like you have in the sig, but I might get a 4790k, maybe get lucky enough and reach 5k GHz. I should focus more on the CPU, right?
    Naturally, you have never played on a real monitor then. I used to run on my 32" 1080p TV and now on my 55", next to my 24" 1080p monitor. Text was crisper and everything looks better on the monitor, no matter what settings I tried on the TV. TVs just are not meant to be used as a monitor and you pay more for the TV because it has many more features, like a tuner and nowadays Smart TVs with the ability to run apps and stuff. If you have your TV hooked up to your PC, then you have no need for any of those features, yet you are paying for them. An actual monitor, without all the fluff that turns it in to a TV, is cheaper and usually looks better as well.

As you said, A used 980ti is about $400. A brand new 1070 is about $550 and quite a bit better. In addition, I don't think you need a new CPU at all(more info below) so you could use that money towards the GPU instead.

For upgrading your CPU, I don't think you really need to. The only game that a better CPU will make a major difference in is going to be WoW, and WoW doesn't care about more cores, just IPC. The IPC of your G3258 is great, only a few % behind current gen, and should have no problems running WoW at the best it can be run due to it's engine. You will have dips below 60 in certain situations, but even people with top-end $2000+ rigs have that. It's the game, not your hardware. For other games, more cores can make some difference, but again, it's not earth shattering. As we move forward and DX12 starts to be more of a thing, then yes, more cores will matter. There are a few game, like BF1, that get a noticeable increase in performance with more cores, but honestly, we are still at least a couple years away from it making a major difference, so I would wait until then to buy a CPU if what you have works. IMO, your CPU is still fairly new and fine for a bit longer.

Even if you were to upgrade your CPU though, DO NOT buy a 4690k or 4790k, unless buying used. They are a couple generations old now, so you could probably find a decent deal on a uaed on, but if buying new, a 7600k is around the same price, newer and better. You also at that point have the option of looking at an R5-1600, 6c/12t CPU that will perform about the same as your G3258 in anything that does not make use of the extra cores. Really though, even going to a 7700k vs your G3258, in most games, won't make a huge difference at all, unless the game just plain refuses to run on a dual core, which really the only games I have heard of doing that still ran fine when bypassed and was patched out later.

Ya get the TV idea out of your head lol, they truly make terrible monitors.

In your situation id find a used 980ti made by evga with warranty left, a 4790k (will last a lot longer than an i5 will) and a dell gsync monitor.

As for upgrading the actual TV, just buy this:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-c...?skuId=5878705

Does not get better for the money.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-07-19 at 10:41 PM.

@Lathais yeah I saw new they are super expensive. At some point I was thinking of selling everything and upgrade to current gen, but current gen is getting replace soon, so I'll wait and see. I digged the new i5 7640x for that huge OC, but the mobos are thru the roof. Hoping next year they'll release smth like this with the new Z chipset.
    @Fascinate that's why I'm here. I'm getting the monitor idea in my head now. I bought a TV because back then I had none(new house) and also had a PS4, so I had to compromise.
    Regarding the monitor, 25 is ok for WoW? My head is like 1 m away from it. I'll try to find a 27, but I don't live in the USA, so I might not find all the good stuff. I'll look for that TV also, maybe on an european seller.
    https://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/...2-2A6780A37C4B
    This is the 400$ GPU I found. Says it has evga warranty. The guy hasn't sold it for like a couple of months. Could be something wrong with it or just people wanting new gen?

Thank you both for the help.

Edit: searched for a Dell G sync. On Amazon US its 520$. Here it's 750$. Yeah.....
    Last edited by Hellshout; 2017-07-20 at 07:14 AM.