Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    There was another theory that aliens were aware of earth but we are nowhere near advanced enough for them so we're on our own. After all, you wouldn't be aware of a singular ant from an ant colony in your garden and we're the ants in this scenario ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
    I've heard a similar theory, coming from the perspective of us ants. An ant colony right next to a highway is incapable of perceiving the fact that they are right next to a highway, since they aren't intelligent enough. Likewise, it's possible that there is evidence of intelligent extraterrestrial life staring at us in the face, but we're still not yet advanced enough to perceive it. Like Stone-age level tribesman living in an isolated part of the world unable to realize that there are radio transmissions between more technologically-advanced cultures traveling over their heads.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

Humans just don't have anything they could gain from nor can we hurt any of them. For the most part I would say humans would be mostly ignored by advanced civilization for those two reasons. I mean I doubt a ship flying by the solar system would stop in and be like "oh shit you know you can burn dead animals and planets to make steam to turn a turbine to move a magnet to make electric power!!!?!?!?!?!! Lets go down there and give them interstellar technology for the how to book on that shit!!!!"

Deleted
    I'll still hold on to my Star Ocean's UP3 theory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    I've heard a similar theory, coming from the perspective of us ants. An ant colony right next to a highway is incapable of perceiving the fact that they are right next to a highway, since they aren't intelligent enough. Likewise, it's possible that there is evidence of intelligent extraterrestrial life staring at us in the face, but we're still not yet advanced enough to perceive it. Like Stone-age level tribesman living in an isolated part of the world unable to realize that there are radio transmissions between more technologically-advanced cultures traveling over their heads.
    Pretty much. Not to mention we are aware of there being more than 3 dimensions while only being able to perceive an imprint of a shadow a 4th dimensional object would leave, so anything beyond 3 dimensions is literally incomprehensible to us as it currently stands.

There are so many factors and our knowledge is so very limited if you think about it. Trying to explain computers or smartphones to someone far in the past would be literally impossible for them to grasp unless you showed it to them. Something technology wise or even physics wise that seems impossible to us today might not be tomorrow.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    It may very well be that there is no way of FTL travel or FTL communication. If that is the case, it's quite likely that the distances between populated worlds alone are enough to effectively isolate them for the entire life cycle of any civilization.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    The biggest dissapointment would be that aliens would turn out to be humans as well and that we are just decendants of some shipwrecked crew.
    Xenogears intensifies...

Deleted
    Reason we've never found aliens: Aliens do not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Plenty of people love animals that could kill them.
    ok but why everyone think they are some sort of ghandi? i mean everyone i know who think there are aliens is convinced they are good and won't harm humanity, wtf?

What happen if they really come and are a bellicose civilization and enslave us ? there is no way to claim alien exist and even less to claim that if they exist they are good like ET or bastard like the Predators.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    But remember that we are isolated from them by vast distances in all four dimensions. That's the most likely resolution of Fermi's "paradox".

And yes, we don't know what the average lifespan of an advanced civilisation is, if there is one. That's one of the components of the Drake equation I think.
    This. Until a group of beings determine a way to beat the distance factor, there's really no way to interact unless they're in this galaxy or solar system at best. Even communication is not really a consideration unless in this galaxy given what we know in terms of light.

So unless they or we can move through space in a more expedient manner, meeting won't happen.

The real reason aliens haven't made contact is that they've intercepted our broadcast signals and don't like what they see. Between politics and the Kardashians, I'd stay the fuck away too.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    This. Until a group of beings determine a way to beat the distance factor, there's really no way to interact unless they're in this galaxy or solar system at best. Even communication is not really a consideration unless in this galaxy given what we know in terms of light.

So unless they or we can move through space in a more expedient manner, meeting won't happen.
    Another possibility: if life really is plentiful then we aren't that special so the Great Spacefaring Civilisation of the Perseus Arm isn't in any great hurry to catalogue "sub interstellar primitive culture #344".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    I looked in my backyard all day, never found any. Even went down the road to the shops to be sure. Aliens definitely do not exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

It never fails to amuse and disgust me that those that claim scientific impossibility, simply refuse to realize the limitations that they've just stated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiushtha View Post
    You are ignoring a whole slew of other factors:

- Humanity may simply be the first to emerge.
    - The Earth has been through no less than 5, if not more extinction-level events.
    - The configuration of the Sol system can be unique, offering us protection and in turn giving us time for complex life to evolve.

there are many, many more.
    I doubt number 3, at least. With the incredible number of stars and planets in just our galaxy - requiring mathematical abstraction to comprehend - no matter how "unique" the Sol system is, there has to be others like it, others with belts, with "sweet spot" orbits. We can't be the only one in all of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Aliens like Big Foot and a lot of other faiths, don't exist just because people tell you a story. They might exist, but their is no clear objective evidence of such.

Conjecture is not evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    This distinction eludes most people because despite the reality of the fact we have no evidence, the conjecture is well it's highly likely that we would or do, THAT IS NOT EVIDENCE.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

This is why nobody takes climate change seriously. They'd have us believe aliens don't want anything to do with us because we're 'extinct' in their eyes.

Silly kids. Maybe it's time we got rid of some of these nutjobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Wait, so now a perfectly adequate reaction image is considered "minor spam"?

Or is it just some misplaced anti pepe bias?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Us" going extinct or not would have nothing to do with aliens finding us or not. That doesn't even follow.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's gotta be life on these Kepler Planets, aka Earth's cousin, too bad there lightyears away

Quote Originally Posted by Aiushtha View Post
    - The configuration of the Sol system can be unique, offering us protection and in turn giving us time for complex life to evolve.
    Unique?

In a galaxy where scientists estimate there's at least one planet orbiting every sun?

Where there'd be billions of planets in this galaxy alone?

I don't think so.

10+ Year Old Account
    The most certain sign that there is intelligent life beyond Earth, is that no-one has contacted us.

-Put differently, we might be so destructive, so rude and uncultured, so barbarian that we're viewed as a plague. We're the galactic equivalent of a "bad neighborhood", that will be "cut back" if it tries to spread out.

I honestly couldn't blame them.