Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Anti-Science views?

Do YOU have any views that go against mainstream science? What are they? Why do you have those views?

10+ Year Old Account
    Science has become a fad and tool by bigoted, ignorant and demagoguery. Too often used by narcissist and stupid polluting a valuable tool for human progress.

I feel that way because I see science being made into fad and political weapon.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-07-29 at 04:36 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    None whatsoever. Even if they conflicted with my religion I would still pick science a 100% of the time.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

No. Science is science because you can prove it. Which is what makes it so valuable. The incorrect data is thrown out and replaced with correct data until then it is proven to be incorrect and then replaced.

I guess, on climate change. I agree humans have an impact on climate change, just not as big an impact as people think. There were hotter times then now, and ice ages before man, so I think there is too much blame on us. Also, even if we made 10X pollution as we do now, I would still drive vehicles with the most powerful, gas guzzlingest engine I can find because I love it. Fuck emission restrictions. I want to bring by Cadillac's with 8.2 Liter V8 engines, etc.

Lastly, all humans have their own agenda, and I think people can bend and tweak information to suit what they want. I don't think we can ague the earth is round, because we have photos of the earth from space. Even if someone said it was fake, you can see the curve of the earth out on the ocean on a calm clear day for example. However, if someone tells me this rock is 100 million years old, I just have to take their word for it, as I have no way to prove otherwise.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like being right way too much to hold views that are discordant with demonstrable reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

The Mayans calculated their calendar backwards. Their starting point is where is where we perceive it to end.

No, but I have some views that I'm fairly sure are well-grounded in science that are firmly rejected by mainstream culture.

Of course, pretty much everyone thinks the things they think are scientific and rational.

Quote Originally Posted by Verzen View Post
    Do YOU have any views that go against mainstream science? What are they? Why do you have those views?
    Anti-science and anti-MAINSTREAM science aren't the same thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    None whatsoever. Even if they conflicted with my religion I would still pick science a 100% of the time.
    Science has become a religion.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Those words don't even mean kind of the same thing though. It'd be like saying my mother became a submerged Volkswagon Granada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Science is only a religion to people who have no idea how science actually works. So in that context, I guess you could be right, since most Religions in general are the refuge of people who have no idea how reality really works.

I hate when people begin to conflate scientific understanding with political opinion and humanism. I understand that we can use science to make the world a better place, just don't force people to do it on their dime.

- - - Updated - - -

Except you can read a science text and reproduce it. Same doesn't go for other texts.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Those words don't even mean kind of the same thing though. It'd be like saying my mother became a submerged Volkswagon Granada.
    Hey don't blame me, I didn't want science to become articles of faith. Blame modern day scientists who have sold out to the left so that science can now fit into whatever narrative happens to be fashionable on the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey don't blame me, I didn't want science to become articles of faith. Blame modern day scientists who have sold out to the left so that science can now fit into whatever narrative happens to be fashionable on the day.
    Doesn't happen. All you're really saying here is that you choose to ignore scientific fact when it shows that your faith-based views are factually incorrect and without basis in reality.

And because you don't want to admit that, you claim the scientists are the ones with "blind faith", projecting your own behaviour onto them.

Science isn't faith. There is no field of science that relies on that kind of concept. Period. If you're claiming otherwise, then you don't understand what science is.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Science is only a religion to people who have no idea how science actually works. So in that context, I guess you could be right, since most Religions in general are the refuge of people who have no idea how reality really works.
    Science used to be about creating theories and working to disprove them. If you couldn't disprove the theory it became fact. That science has now stopped to become whatever people want it to be to suit an agenda. Scientists have sold themselves out. Now science is mostly about make believe, like religion. Climate change is the most egregious example of that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Science isn't a broad subject you can disagree with or agree with, you can only disagree with the methodology or conclusions drawn by specific studies. So even in that regard I disagree with them scientifically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Science used to be about creating theories and working to disprove them. If you couldn't disprove the theory it became fact. That science has now stopped to become whatever people want it to be to suit an agenda. Scientists have sold themselves out. Now science is mostly about make believe, like religion. Climate change is the most egregious example of that.
    Again, literally not true. The facts don't fit your worldview, and rather than realize you're wrong, you insist that the facts are an "agenda". You don't have an argument; this is all in your own head.

Climate change being a really obvious example, since it's entirely based on analysis of all the available data. If anyone wants a comprehensive overview of all that, here you go; http://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/

There's no "faith" there. No "agenda". Just facts and analysis.
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-07-29 at 06:23 AM.

Yep. I believe that the researchers in LENR technology have discovered something real although it may or may not be useful. Mainstream science denies the possibility.