Deleted

Post Crime threads are useless and should be banned

Violent crime has been overall in decline worldwide, yet people are feeling more in danger than ever. Why ?

Because Crime is over represented in the media just like it is on this forum.

There are possibly thousands of news articles about crime daily.

I could post 10 a day, with a particular focus on crimes committed by X group, and give the impression that said group commits more crimes.

I could just spam them indiscriminately and give the impression that the world is a dangerous place populated by psychotic killers.

Anyways, the average crime thread on gen it goes like this:

-(Op)
    - -random insult- hope he gets a hard sentence !
    - religion of peace/ facts are racist
    - 3 different posts of sincere condolences

Nothing of value is added or even discussed, as those threads all end up as people venting their anxiety in the various forms above.

I'm not saying we should deny the existence of crime but constant exposure to death and tragedy isn't representative of the real world nor useful in any manner.
    And the people who spend their time posting them rarely do so for informational purpose, they do so to further a political agenda of fearmongering, and always post very specific kinds of articles because those are the ones that filtered through their social media feed.

You'll catch a few with this one, it's more subtle than your other two posts.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    This is unlikely to happen. Unless it breaks our rules, people are free to post what they want and there is nothing innately wrong with crime threads.

closing