Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,621
    It's going to be more varied than people think, but it's not going to be super varied.

    Hunters, warlocks, warriors, balance druids, mages, rogues and unholy DKs see play in high keystones (using 21-23 keys from last week as an example).

    Tanks are probably the most varied, with the only exception being protection paladins and maybe protection warriors. There are a couple high monks, and you might see more if it wasn't for the fact that monk is still a very unpopular class.

    Healer spot is the only spot that's really bad. It's pretty much dominated by resto druids and holy paladins, and you can't go wrong with either. For the most part I feel like restoration druid are the safer option from pure throughput and dealing with a couple affixes, along with bringing a battle rez. However in high level keys generally having a way to reduce group damage (AM) is pretty important, and a few areas can be cheesed by using BoP/Bubble.

  2. #42
    I can't wait to see the triple Affliction Arcway run.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I can't wait to see the triple Affliction Arcway run.
    That comp is actually pretty bad. Low number of stuns and interrupts is brutal in arcway. Pure damage isn't everything.
    Last edited by dirtybrew; 2017-07-20 at 02:31 PM.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    It's going to be more varied than people think, but it's not going to be super varied.
    I doubt that. I would compare it to the difference of world top 100 and world top 1 raid guilds:
    World top 100 guilds are all very very good players, but they also play in a more or less fixed group without much class stacking. World top 1 guilds readily use class stacking to be the best of the best.

    When you apply this to m+:
    Currently, there is no incentive to be a top 1 group for m+ because it's just that. So you run it with friends, guildies, whatsoever. As soon as it becomes a real competition, and especially with a price-tag attached to it, it becomes about the absolute min-maxing. Which means that you will pick your team in a way that gives you the absolutely best chances to win.

    When player skill is not the differentiating factor, because effectively all of the players at that level are almost equally good, you will gravitate towards a group setup that is simply superior.

    Warry is basically a must-have. Hunter (both MM and BM) is also insanely good. Mage (actually even all specs, although fire seems to still be best overall) or Ele are a must if you don't have a BM hunter for hero/lust. And no, drums will not suffice because as I mentioned earlier, this is a min-max game, and 10% (or was it 5%) more haste is just better. Especially given that both mage and ele are highly competitive with all other classes that don't have hero/lust.

    That leaves tank which will be either DK or VDH (I actually ran a high key with a VDH for the first time yesterday and holy hell, they ARE amazing) and heal. Paladin for dps or Drood for pure heal.

  5. #45
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    I doubt that. I would compare it to the difference of world top 100 and world top 1 raid guilds:
    World top 100 guilds are all very very good players, but they also play in a more or less fixed group without much class stacking. World top 1 guilds readily use class stacking to be the best of the best.

    When you apply this to m+:
    Currently, there is no incentive to be a top 1 group for m+ because it's just that. So you run it with friends, guildies, whatsoever. As soon as it becomes a real competition, and especially with a price-tag attached to it, it becomes about the absolute min-maxing. Which means that you will pick your team in a way that gives you the absolutely best chances to win.

    When player skill is not the differentiating factor, because effectively all of the players at that level are almost equally good, you will gravitate towards a group setup that is simply superior.

    Warry is basically a must-have. Hunter (both MM and BM) is also insanely good. Mage (actually even all specs, although fire seems to still be best overall) or Ele are a must if you don't have a BM hunter for hero/lust. And no, drums will not suffice because as I mentioned earlier, this is a min-max game, and 10% (or was it 5%) more haste is just better. Especially given that both mage and ele are highly competitive with all other classes that don't have hero/lust.

    That leaves tank which will be either DK or VDH (I actually ran a high key with a VDH for the first time yesterday and holy hell, they ARE amazing) and heal. Paladin for dps or Drood for pure heal.
    Of course there is no incentive right now, but there are people who still push keys, which is all you can go by right now. Even without reward people still min/max to push as high as they can go. I just based it off of the top 20 runs from last week, and there is some variance. I outright stated that while there is variance, it's not completely varied. I merely meant that I don't think it's going to be completely cookie cutter to the extent of it being the same tank class, the same healer, and the same three DPS. I fully expect there to be variance in tanks, with moderate variation in DPS. The only true place where variance would be low is with healers.

    Keep in mind that some instances favor some classes/specs over others. While I run with an elemental shaman in my key runs quite a bit, he doesn't attempt to hide his contempt for how bad elemental plays in a couple instances, especially those that are not as trash intensive like Upper Karazhan. Survival and niche compositions also become an issue in certain dungeons as well. Anybody who has done high Upper Karazhan keys for example knows how hard it is to effectively soak the orbs on the third boss without having an abundance of immunities.

    MM is actually pretty retarded in M+, and 5% haste on drums really isn't as big as you're making it out to be. I claim ignorance as to whether or not being MM and having drums is better than bringing a BM hunter though. Warlocks are also top tier, and is reflected by the amount of them in high clears (more so than mages). They don't have immunities, but they are generally more durable and affliction in honestly a better mage, mostly because they can have all the aspects of each mage spec in one single spec. Fire can be beast on trash, but is middling on bosses. Affliction really doesn't have that problem. Another combat rez certainly doesn't hurt. Not saying they are better than mages, just competitive.

    Ultimately we will have to wait and see what compositions arise, because the very top right now is narrow in regards to people actually attempting to push keys. Variance will depend on what affixes they decide to use, and what instances they decide to use. If it's only a couple instances and a couple affixes then yeah, we might not see much difference in comps.

  6. #46
    Hunter, Warrior, sub rogue , Hpal, Dh tank

  7. #47
    Am i mistaken in assuming that whatever toons your team used to qualify, they are locked into for competition? If so, we may see the few teams that qualify use the same comp due to how strong they are on the 2 qualifying weeks. The only reason I can see there being much variance is if there's some random teams that come out of nowhere and crush shit with an unexpected comps or blizz uses their line about choosing teams based on their performance to pick teams that they go "they performed really well considering this doo-doo comp they used".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •