Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Making the crimes less lethal inherently makes the country safer.

Being dead is much worse than losing some money, I know this might be hard for Americans to comprehend.
    By how much is the question though, if it's a very small drop then a full ban, like what happened in Australia, it's not worth it to me. I'd rather see more effort where the issue is, that is crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    There is no evidence that banning guns makes a country safer.
    Australia's gun laws provide plenty of evidence that it indeed does. We had some seriously strict anti-gun laws brought in after a massecre in 1996. In the 21 years since, we've had about as many 'massacres' with guns as the US has in less than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Australia's gun laws provide plenty of evidence that it indeed does. We had some seriously strict anti-gun laws brought in after a massecre in 1996. In the 21 years since, we've had about as many 'massacres' with guns as the US has in less than a week.
    It doesn't though.

There were no mass shootings which is good, but the results are mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I haven't seen anything with that. If she came to the drivers side and the passenger shot her, it seems unlikely to be intentional. You usually don't use your partner as cover.

The thread has mostly devolved into the "US guns" or "US cops" "discussions", so not sure it matters anyway.
    Well, they clearly pulled their guns on purpose, and intended to fire their weapons. Luckily, we have their body camera footage to use...

But you had way less BEFORE then too. Crime in the 20 years following the massive bans went down MORE in the USA than it did in UK or Australia, percentage wise. The drug trade/ mexico cartel issue/ gang system is the driving influence for most of the big crime here. Poverty and related issues should be addressed before wearing away at personal freedoms.

And NONE of this has anything to do with the thread topic of a woman shot by police!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Well, they clearly pulled their guns on purpose, and intended to fire their weapons. Luckily, we have their body camera footage to use...
    The passenger had a gun, certainly, but since there are so few details it's entirely possible he was getting a shotgun or rifle out of a locking rack of some sort. It is certainly possible that the passenger saw some woman come up to the driver door, freaked out, drew his handgun and fired, but it seems easier to envision a roof rack.

Picture this, pointing at drivers side, accidentally pulling the trigger while getting it out of the rack.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    It happens like several times a week that stuff like this is reported on.

US cops have too many rights, too much protection and too little training.

Stories like these shouldn't even happen once, not even among millions of cops.
    several times a week... wow! With that hard hitting data from a legit source it must be true!

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    But you had way less BEFORE then too. Crime in the 20 years following the massive bans went down MORE in the USA than it did in UK or Australia, percentage wise. The drug trade/ mexico cartel issue/ gang system is the driving influence for most of the big crime here. Poverty and related issues should be addressed before wearing away at personal freedoms.

And NONE of this has anything to do with the thread topic of a woman shot by police!

- - - Updated - - -

The passenger had a gun, certainly, but since there are so few details it's entirely possible he was getting a shotgun or rifle out of a locking rack of some sort. It is certainly possible that the passenger saw some woman come up to the driver door, freaked out, drew his handgun and fired, but it seems easier to envision a roof rack.

Picture this, pointing at drivers side, accidentally pulling the trigger while getting it out of the rack.
    That would make it even worse.

On a side note, I love the ceiling rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismembered View Post
    Fatal shootings don't happen so much and often in Germany as in the US, I don't even need to watch the news to know this.
    But you have way more axe attacks than us, what the fuck is your point? Not to mention the US population is 4x what you have. Can't compare cultures and shit that's just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    I wonder how many vacationers realize that when they walk into an American 7-11 to get a slurpee, the guy at the counter most likely has a loaded shotgun within arms reach.

It always caught me off guard in Hawaii when I had to think "oh yeah, I was most likely standing closer to a firearm than I ever have in my life while getting my ice cream"

It's fucked up, but most Americans don't think so.
    That makes it even more so.
    never go to Manila in the Philippines either then as i saw more guns there than i ever have in the US and i live in the south east... every damn mall had several check points with guards with shot guns... go down the street most major companies / banks had heavily armed guards.

I have no fear of calling the cops or guns in the US ... especially when compared to my daily commute to and from work.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    That would make it even worse.

On a side note, I love the ceiling rack.
    Yep, horrendous training if their finger is anywhere near the trigger when pulling it off the rack

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    there is zero evidence for it making a country safer, there is only evidence of less gun deaths/injuries, which is NOT the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Refer to above
    .. This is some really far out bullshitting..

How the fuck can you say that less gun deaths / injuries, does not make the country safer?

It's like you guys are from a different planet, and the same rules of logic doesn't apply to you as the rest of us..
    Last edited by Quibble; 2017-07-17 at 04:23 PM.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Not to mention even if guns were banned Police would still have them... So banning guns would had solved this issue how exactly?

Also criminals will STILL get guns regardless of the laws, just like drugs. Main difference is good citizens would no longer have guns to defend themselves,
    The assumption that the person you're arresting/responding to/generally interacting with does not have a deadly weapon makes the officer less likely to think they have to escalate, which seems to be the issue, at least from an outsider's perspective. I'll admit I could be totally wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    I guess all we can take from this is, if you are in need of help don't call the cops.
    It's always been like this anyway. Even before they started shooting so many people and getting away with it in recent times, police take forever to show up so are literally the last person a reasonable thinking person would think of calling if needing help. I suppose they might have been good for helping old ladies get cats out of trees at some point. Now they almost exclusively just write parking and traffic tickets for revenue and are for the most part people you just want to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    The media just creates a self fulfilling prophesy. Less and less people want to be cops because of the mud that is thrown at them by the media so you end up with a lower quality of candidates.
    That's absolute rubbish, they screen out people that have high IQs. Literally.

except their yearly murder/manslaughter rates were not affected by that gun ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
    That's absolute rubbish, they screen out people that have high IQs. Literally.
    I was going to call you out for your bullshit claim, but you aren't wrong. I learn something new every day, thanks.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-b...story?id=95836

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw this last evening and it's pretty heart-breaking. She was going to marry a guy soon and was loooing forward to having a step-son.

Once again, how is it that even while having body-cams there is some ridiculous reason that they weren't conveniently turned on? If it happened once I would understand, happened a few more times I would be doubtful but could be a coincidence, but when it has happened consistently in several cases in the past years and it's the one thing that can clear any doubts about who was at fault, then I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that there is a good reason why this camera footage isn't available and it doesn't take a genius to figure out what.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    The assumption that the person you're arresting/responding to/generally interacting with does not have a deadly weapon makes the officer less likely to think they have to escalate, which seems to be the issue, at least from an outsider's perspective. I'll admit I could be totally wrong there.
    The only way this would change is if you could remove 100% of guns.. that will NEVER happen. Even with gun control cops will still be trained to look for danger and not put their guard down. The moment they do put there guard down some random criminal with an illegal gun shoots one of them and it resets the whole process. its amazing that people cant seem to forward think and see how shit like that would ultimately go down.

This is coming from a NON gun owner.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was going to call you out for your bullshit claim, but you aren't wrong. I learn something new every day, thanks.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-b...story?id=95836
    My ex is an LA county deputy. It's unfortunately absolutely true and it isn't a new occurrence, it has been going on for a while now. Promotions in the department are also hardly dependent on your competence and more on who you know and how much brown-nosing one does.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakerOfWills View Post
    You can argue that it wouldnt work for america because there are too many guns already, but dont try and argue that in a first world country less guns means more safety.
    Actually that is the reality, no matter how much you dislike it. Just compare gun laws and murder rate in Great Britain and Switzerland for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Stop lying, the murder rate went up, not down after the ban.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.