Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Killing server community was a bad idea.

A MMO is about a game that you grow into and learn new people to explore new content with.

With the introduction of phasing the only thing what it did was giving you a sense that you were playing with other people.
    However this created a player like today that have no sense of helping other players if it does not benefit themselves.

The only thing blizzard had to do was merging servers so you get a new influx of players but that are there on the world. If you know them by name you know that they are on that server. This is the one thing that I mis so big from wow nowadays if I lvl a new character I meet people from other servers, this doesn't give a sense of scale only temporary.

The problem in my opinion with blizzard is that they did not see the succes of the MMO. When creating a new expansion they drive away from the journey.

The setup should always have been azeroth 1-100 and the new expansions follows. New expansion azeroth 1-110 and so forth. So the new players experience the journey on azeroth and then when they hit the lvl they can go to the new expansion. Lvling is such a drag right now. I haven't played wow for a year now but it really have a special place in my heart and eager awaiting the new expansion to dive in for a few months.

Regards,

Growlite

I've played since Vanilla and there has never been a time where the world felt more alive and cooperative than Legion with its combination of cross-realm and multi-person tagging.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    I've played since Vanilla and there has never been a time where the world felt more alive and cooperative than Legion with its combination of cross-realm and multi-person tagging.
    there is alot of characters run around whenever you go, but all those are random characters that good chance you will never gonna meet again. unlike before where it was same people all the time.
    BETA CLUB

Wait are you actually suggesting 1-100 be classic azeroth only and then Legion? As in have people skip TBC, Wrath, Cata, MoP and Wod? Wtf. lol.

Bullshit. In Legion, world is populated but people just ignore each other because you can solo non-instanced content.

10+ Year Old Account
    And so I guess servers with small populations could just permanently fuck off then, right?

"should've done your research on a game you just wanted to start playing and know that, unless you're on a high-pop server, you should never expect to find a group to do anything!"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I am leveling a paladin now, for the first time I find it easy to find a group to do quests and instances. Yes they may be from different servers but I don't care, we all enjoy the game together.

Yesterday I did more than 7 dungeons with the same group. I remember how it was back when I was leveling my first character.

This is much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alrighty, have to disect your messeage a bit, sorry. You are right on some points, and wrong on other.

Quote Originally Posted by Growlite View Post
    A MMO is about a game that you grow into and learn new people to explore new content with.
    You can still do that though, crossrealm and phasing doesn't stop you from meeting new people, or explore with friends.

With the introduction of phasing the only thing what it did was giving you a sense that you were playing with other people.
    Okay, so we're talking phasing and not cross realm. Phasing gives you a more or less feel that you aren't getting overrun but there are others in the relam. The phasing, or sharding, of the servers is sadly one of the downsides for things like Roleplaying guilds. Good example was Stormwind, in the start it was sharded so badly, that groups had each their own version of the city.

However this created a player like today that have no sense of helping other players if it does not benefit themselves.
    Uhm, no. It didn't, we had those players already before. We had them in Vanilla too, if you didn't know. Though, it did feed on the seperation of content, making all rush for what they can achieve, pushing others back.

The only thing blizzard had to do was merging servers so you get a new influx of players but that are there on the world. If you know them by name you know that they are on that server. This is the one thing that I mis so big from wow nowadays if I lvl a new character I meet people from other servers, this doesn't give a sense of scale only temporary.
    This was explained by Blizzard a long time ago. They would like to do so but have no real grasp on how, without SOMEONE losing their name. Currently, our naming system is a little flawed for just smashing up the servers to one puddle, and it would come at a cost. They would first have to implement a new method of naming to their engine before they can do as you say. So we got CrossRealm instead, which is a quite good mechanic to patch up with, I think. It made it possible for us to play with people from other servers, group up with them fully. And really, it does scale the overview of what you experience. If they weren't there, but instead all servers huddled up, you would still only have a temporary glance at the server's happenings and events, for we do not all tread the same road.

The problem in my opinion with blizzard is that they did not see the succes of the MMO. When creating a new expansion they drive away from the journey.
    But, they did see the success, reason to the creation of new expansions. You cannot stick to, and retell the same story over and over, that isn't good development or business in the long run. You need development, expanding the universe and grasping at people's fantasy to lure them in to a setting that might fit them. As we stand, we have SO many people whom have their own favorites. Classic/Vanilla, TBC, Wrath, Cata, MoP, WoD and Legion.

The setup should always have been azeroth 1-100 and the new expansions follows. New expansion azeroth 1-110 and so forth. So the new players experience the journey on azeroth and then when they hit the lvl they can go to the new expansion.
    You shouldn't limit the journey in a world where there is so many roads to travel. Not all could, nor should, stay on our little planet, when you have other places to venture to as well.

Lvling is such a drag right now.
    Leveling is so easy right now, almost as easy as WoD. It is a bit sad, really, that it goes as fast as it does. We don't get the fuel to explore, if we have the fuel to just take the bigger river for faster travel. I wouldn't call it a drag, for it can be done before it even feels slow. 100-101 is most likely the most challenge you experience in Legion, as a leveler.

I haven't played wow for a year now but it really have a special place in my heart and eager awaiting the new expansion to dive in for a few months.
    Played the official game since the launch, and I've experienced my journeys and embrace more to come. But, I've also come to learn that there are MANY things within the content we have passed, that has helped the game more than just sinking in the old world alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Demonidze View Post
    there is alot of characters run around whenever you go, but all those are random characters that good chance you will never gonna meet again. unlike before where it was same people all the time.
    And that is also how it was before cross realm. On a full server, you would see so many characters run around, and a high chance that you would hardly meet them again, or generally, talk to them. And just like then, and now, you could meet them again, and talk to them - if you choose to.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I played since day 1 WOW release and you are right the server communitys were the best thing in wow.

But you have to remember it was not only the friendly questing, you had quest ganking too. Knowing people by playing with them was nice, server wide DO-NOT-GROUP list for bad players were common because the community was not as noobish as today, lots of elitist EQ raiders had no big tolerance for bad players. You had to be better very quick at playing this game or your were forced out of most of the server community pretty fast.

If you raid today, the consequences for bad or toxic behaviour are minor or non existent. People assume it was the same with vanilla, but they dont know the strict community back then, the social punishments were no joke.

Todays WoW is much better for toxic or bad players, no consequences, no punishments. It makes sense for Blizzard, because people are not forced to quit gaming as fast as back in vanilla.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    Wait are you actually suggesting 1-100 be classic azeroth only and then Legion? As in have people skip TBC, Wrath, Cata, MoP and Wod? Wtf. lol.
    The OP is suggesting to skip olders worlds.

So, like this.

Azeroth ------> New content.

When newer content hits, then we skip the previous. Bad design idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Bullshit. In Legion, world is populated but people just ignore each other because you can solo non-instanced content.
    True.

In classic, people could ignore you, for they could just form a group from their own guild. The world does feel alive in Legion, and people actually help you with fighting the mobs, thanks to the tagging.

Of course, there are some that sadly just tag and run. I think there should be a distance limiter on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    And so I guess servers with small populations could just permanently fuck off then, right?

"should've done your research on a game you just wanted to start playing and know that, unless you're on a high-pop server, you should never expect to find a group to do anything!"
    Reason to praise the cross realm, even if you don't like phasing, cross realm still helps more - yet people put them in the same catagory.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KSM899 View Post
    I am leveling a paladin now, for the first time I find it easy to find a group to do quests and instances. Yes they may be from different servers but I don't care, we all enjoy the game together.

Yesterday I did more than 7 dungeons with the same group. I remember how it was back when I was leveling my first character.

This is much better.
    Oh, that is a good point...

If you were lucky, they would join for a second, then suddenly one would leave, and one would have to go back and look for more, then we have to wait for summons and then guess what, one more would leave.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Exactly. You literally never have to actually interact with anyone in the world because 99.9% of it is soloable. the remaining 0.1% of world content you have to group with people for 3 minutes tops and then immediately drop group, never having said anything. Dungeons and Raids are pretty much in the same boat. You can join a LFR raid, go sit in a corner, and you'll come out with the content finished having done nothing or talked to no one.

Exactly, it's a soul-less experience now, you join a group with the group finder, get it done and disband, literally no one talks to each other. It wasn't like that once upon a time, you used to talk to the people because the game was far more social back then than it is now.

Leveling alts for example, good luck getting a conversation going, all people care about is bum rushing their way to the dungeons end. It wasn't like that back when it was your realm only, we used to have conversations but what's the point with cross realm? You're not likely to see those players again unless you strike up a conversation and add them to friends list.

Cross realm is no substitute for an active realm community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephre View Post
    Exactly, it's a soul-less experience now, you join a group with the group finder, get it done and disband, literally no one talks to each other. It wasn't like that once upon a time, you used to talk to the people because the game was far more social back then than it is now.

Leveling alts for example, good luck getting a conversation going, all people care about is bum rushing their way to the dungeons end. It wasn't like that back when it was your realm only, we used to have conversations but what's the point with cross realm? You're not likely to see those players again unless you strike up a conversation and add them to friends list.

Cross realm is no substitute for an active realm community.
    Conversations? What about? Every question I might have is just google away and accurate for the most part.
    And asking random stranger might end in wrong answer or just trolling.
    Legion is just along with its time of facebook, instagram and mobile phones. Kids dont comunicate by old ways, face to face, they rather open facebook or chats.
    You are talking about old times noone really wants back. Well, I do and my generation do, but we are water under the bridge.

Blizzard really needs to merge some of the smaller servers and also allow for cross realm guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonidze View Post
    It was exactly the same in Vanilla. Unless you were on some tiny, basically dead server, 99.9% of players you passed by were random strangers you were never going to interact with again.

You could solo the vast majority of non-instanced content in Vanilla/BC, and the parts you couldn't were frequently either skipped, or taken care of by a guild member or two, because finding randoms was a hassle.

On top of that, in Vanilla and BC other players were an obstacle. An annoyance. Having someone else in your questing area frequently devolved into "who can tag the mobs the quickest". In Legion I frequently end up working together with nearby players because shared tagging makes teaming up effective. I'm on a DPS and see a tank who's pulled a bunch but is killing things slowly, so I jump in and burn them all down quickly, or I'm on Disc and see someone pull a named elite for a world quest, so I toss out an atonement on them so they can tank it without worry and help kill it.

There is several times more cooperation out in the world between players in Legion than there ever was in early expansions or Vanilla. And unlike those past instances, it's dynamic and quick in wow, instead of you sitting in Honor Hold for 45 minutes trying to find people for the trinket quest, or trying to out-tag someone in the same mat farming spot as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephre View Post

Please.

"Sheep moon" is not some engaging, social conversation. Most dungeons were silent unless something was going wrong, and the extent of talking while leveling was usually "Do you know where X is?" "Over there past Y" "Thanks!" "Yep" only to never talk to or see that person again.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2017-07-16 at 02:33 PM.

You could solo the vast majority of non-instanced content in Vanilla/BC, and the parts you couldn't were frequently either skipped, or taken care of by a guild member or two, because finding randoms was a hassle.

On top of that, in Vanilla and BC other players were an obstacle. An annoyance. Having someone else in your questing area frequently devolved into "who can tag the mobs the quickest". In Legion I frequently end up working together with nearby players because shared tagging makes teaming up effective. I'm on a DPS and see a tank who's pulled a bunch but is killing things slowly, so I jump in and burn them all down quickly, or I'm on Disc and see someone pull a named elite for a world quest, so I toss out an atonement on them so they can tank it without worry and help kill it.

There is several times more cooperation out in the world between players in Legion than there ever was in early expansions or Vanilla. And unlike those past instances, it's dynamic and quick in wow, instead of you sitting in Honor Hold for 45 minutes trying to find people for the trinket quest, or trying to out-tag someone in the same mat farming spot as you.
    Looks like MMORPGs aren't for you. You are lucky to have WoW in its current form tho. Single player game sold as MMORPG.

Looks like MMORPGs aren't for you. You are lucky to have WoW in its current form tho. Single player game sold as MMORPG.
    I know, I consider myself very lucky to have a game where cooperation is beneficial and seamless, rather than detrimental and a huge time sink.

Deleted
    Looks like WoW isnt mmorpg, at least by what you think it is. Maybe its just you holding for that tag from old times of EQ where you HAD to group and communicate.

I know, I consider myself very lucky to have a game where cooperation is beneficial and seamless, rather than detrimental and a huge time sink.
    Cooperation? You are smoking drugs son. What you have in WoW right now is tag and run mechanics in full fledge. I do not have issues with shared tagging. I don't really care to be honest. What I care is the state of the game and it is as I describe.

I'm still playing the game with the same folks I started playing with when the game released all those years ago. We're still meeting new people and making new friends too. If you're having trouble making friends, accept the fact that you have social anxiety and seek professional counseling to help cope. Because if you're having problems talking to people in a virtual environment, I can't imagine you're doing a whole lot better in the real world. I'm not saying this to be snarky. I'm saying it as someone who lived through it. It's not Blizzard's problem, it's yours.