Mage tower help!

Ok, I have got to be the worst Brewmaster on the planet. I can't get past the first phase, and it's driving me nuts.

I am specced 1/1/3/3/1/2/3. I have ilevel 910 and T20 2pc. I'm using Sal'salabim and Gai Piln, but I have Prydaz and Stormstout's Last Gasp available too.
    I am using 890 Tich fang and 895 infernal contract.

I pop a potion of prolonged power
    Pull Variss with lightning to Velen.
    Pop angry dave
    Punch Variss until 8 stacks.
    Mobs spawn.
    Keg smash. Grab mobs and kill them.
    Big guy spawns.
    Angry dave dies.

At this point, it's run in, get to 5 stacks, run out, kill eyes and adds, run in, die because I'm out of mitigation.

At this point, this damn thing should be -trivial- if you read the posts here. But I can't get to phase 2 after 90+ wipes.

What am I missing?
    Last edited by Steelangel; 2017-07-12 at 12:23 AM.

Are you using the healing orbs that Velen summons in a timely manner? My strat was taking Black out combo and black ox brew additionally because of dps and more brews, I imagine BoB would be of more use since you have t20 2pc so you can gen more orbs and get more brews to play with, rather than gift. But yeah I basically went ham like you for 7-8 stacks while dave was up, then smashed adds and eyes while waiting for debuff to drop then dropping in and out at 5 stacks from then on. I slowed my health decay as much as possible using good purifies after heavy rends and stunning the adds if I didn't have the aoe to nuke them immediately, trying to hover above 35% health so I could keep scumbagging the free orbs from obstinate determination trait was my basic strategy. But when I inevitably fell below that mark without healing available I would chase up one of Velen's healing orbs and bring myself back to 100%.

Make sure Niuzao's taunt is ON, you should be taking no damage and able to eat the first debuff to 9 stacks before you need to duck out to prepare for adds. After that you should never be eating more then 3-4 stacks tbh, not worth it. You should be paralyzing him when you're running out to clear stacks so he is not nuking you while you have high stacks.

You shouldn't devote much time to killing eyes, only the ones that will cause problems because they're on opposite sides of the map as other ones.

Lastly, ditch HT, the tanking trinkets and Gais. These are all tank centric things on a fight that is more about dps then being tanky. Use chest and shoulders, use dps trinkets, use blackout combo. You should be nearly globaling the packs of elementals after KS+BoF and certainly will if you get extra KS procs.

Make sure you're using the healing orbs as needed(including if you need to interrupt either major important ability and don't have a way to otherwise). When you get to p2 eat the first stack and then cast Niuzao again and let him tank the rest of the fight for you while you have drums and old war rolling.

5 stacks might be too many. There's no timer as far as I know so you there's not a huge reason to rush it. That's especially true if you're using Niuzao on the pull, since you'll want p1 to take at least 3 min so that he's up again for p2. I originally would aim for 5, but found that usually ended up cutting it too close and if I ever got to 6 I'd be 2 shot. Because of that I aimed for 4 stacks and had a much easier time. Meanwhile, try to get used to using paralysis to interrupt his casts from ranged, and especially try tanking all the adds just outside of the puddle. If you're positioned right you can hit him with both Keg Smash and BoF while outside the puddle, which adds a fairly significant amount of damage.

As said above, you probably also aren't using Velen's orbs effectively. I basically rotated cd's for each round of adds - legendary trinket, Exploding Keg with tich trinket for the heals, and then orbs for every other round. It helped stabilize things while I got them under control.

It's definitely not trivial - it took me around 35 attempts in slightly better gear than yours and I really only killed it because I got a really lucky chain of orbs in p2 (after a bunch of 3-6% wipes). Just have to keep trying and getting the rhythm down. P2 is just a straight dps race really - it's more difficult from a numbers perspective but pretty simple mechanically. If you can start getting through p1 you'll get the whole thing down eventually.
    Last edited by Dakiri; 2017-07-12 at 03:56 AM.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...udmoore/etiira

First, I recommend you make sure you're in a good environment while working on this challenge. I was ridiculously tense working on this, and made sure I had zero distractions, plenty of water, and a calm sense of mind. I wouldn't want to attempt this any other way.

That said, I did it in 41 attempts just yesterday(I used Gai Plin's + Salabim's and a 875 Tich trinket, but otherwise my gear was pretty much the same as my armory above). The key for me was using Velen's orbs more aggressively. I used 1/1/2/3/2/2/2 for talents and stayed in ~8-10 stacks at the beginning with Niuzao like you, but I rarely went back in after that.

I found that I was safest if I was always moving during both phases. Strafing while fighting allowed me to passively evade the infernal's line attack and kite nether guys/infernals simultaneously during phase 1. During phase 2, I stayed in melee with Kruul as much as possible and kept moving to more easily dodge his stomps.

I tried to land all of my ranged abilities(Keg Smash/Breath/Chi Burst/Keg) on the boss from outside the circle, and I specifically tried to kite enemies near the Inquisitor to help aoe them down. I played it very safe with eyes and killed them on sight with a BoS/TP combo. I mostly paralyzed to interrupt Drain Life, and since the boss would be invuln while cc'd, I would stop to focus adds if I had the full 5 seconds. I'd only go into melee with Inquisitor when all adds were down, and I would get out as soon as I had more to kill. I'd occasionally run in to SHS a regular cast if my stacks were clear and it seemed convenient(such as if I was on my way to the opposite side to kill an eye anyways).

I got to Kruul only 4 times before I killed him, and I would have gotten him the 3rd time if I had remembered to Drums + Potion going in(I was super nervous going into this phase still >_<). I forgot to pot + lust on the kill as well, and it was super super close. The orbs seemed more scarce during part 2, but I don't know if that was actually the case or just the hectic nature of a new phase.

It's totally doable, you have what you need, just try and slow down on phase 1 and don't be stingy with orbs, you've got this!
    Last edited by etiira; 2017-07-12 at 05:59 AM.

Just got it last night. Will offer a few tips.

My armory https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...e/syphonfilter

Using chest and shoulder legendary, trinket Fang of Tichondrius and Stam trinket from The Desolate Host.

Obviously Bear Tartare is great for the speed boost after killing adds, Agi Flask and Defiled augmented Rune.

Before pull I use Potion of the Old War, then use Niuzao and start dpsing the boss. Breath of fire, keg smash, breath of fire, keg smash 2nd charge then breath of fire again. Usually dps to around 50-70% depending on RNG, sometimes even lower. Use Paralyze to CC boss for as long as needed or as a ranged interupt on life drain.

On the attempt I downed it, the first infernal aggro'd onto Velen and he killed it with Melee which was really helpful (If Velen is in melee range of the mini boss he will also melee it too, does quite a bit of damage but hard to achieve)

Niuzao was still around 30-40 seconds on cooldown so I had to stall Kruul for a bit with Paralyze, Leg sweep etc until it was up again. Having only 1 Infernal during Phase 2 makes it a lot easier.

Also I can't stress this enough, don't just waste Velens healing circles. Having multiple up at the same time will make it so much easier especially in phase 2.

Control of Niuzao is also really important, use the Movement command to move him out of Kruuls AOE circles so you can continue dpsing with as little downtime as possible.

Having 2 set tier 20 really helps with healing orb spawns.

Talents were

Chi Burst, Celerity, Gift of the Mists, Leg Sweep, Healing Elixir, Niuzao and High Tolerance

Remember a lot of this can be RNG. You'll get it eventually.

Thanks everyone I think I've been trying to "tank" this encounter way more than DPS it. I'll try tonight if the tower is still up; wish me luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    At this point, this damn thing should be -trivial- if you read the posts here. But I can't get to phase 2 after 90+ wipes.
    If it was trivial, everyone and their dogs would have their Mage Tower weaps.

Took me about 150 tries back in May with concordance and about 910 ilvl IIRC. I wish I had my 2pc T20 set for it, it makes our healing a lot better.

I personally ran with: 1/3/2/3/1/2/2.

Chi Burst to pull the void nerds off Velen and back to me in P1. Celerity is better than Chi Torpedo IMO, it lets you do more quick burst rolls instead of longer infrequent ones, it works great for P2 to roll off of Kruul's fel puddles. I ran BoB, but I guess GotM may be better now that you have 2pc T20. LS is good. Elixir good, pet good. Why run with High Tolerance? You don't really need it, go with BoC for more damage.

I actually found P2 to be harder than P1 because of the unlucky Velen orbs placements (mainly, he tends to put them right inside those fel puddles that tick for like 1m damamge).
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post

What am I missing?
    Chest and/or shoulder legendary. Simple as that.

Without them it's a very hard challenge and with them (or at least one) its ultra simple.

Edit: Sorry, missed that you have them. No problem then. Its a 95% dps fight and 5% mechanics.
    Last edited by ReD-EyeD; 2017-07-13 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    Chest and/or shoulder legendary. Simple as that.

Without them it's a very hard challenge and with them (or at least one) its ultra simple.

Edit: Sorry, missed that you have them. No problem then. Its a 95% dps fight and 5% mechanics.
    Pretty much, the tank challenge is actually a DPS race with mechanics to avoid... its not really a "Tank" challenge. Anything you can do to kill it as quickly as possible in each phase will help. Especially Chest/Shoulder legendaries.

One little tip do add: I've found it much easier to do bloodlust on Kruul, not on the first mage.