Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How many people in a house warrants a second bathroom?

So just as the title says. How many people should be in living in a house before a second bathroom is needed?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

If you are dealing with children, I would say the second bathroom is not really needed until you hit 5 people in the house. If you are dealing with adults, or even teenagers, you may want to have a second at four people.

Honestly, not that much time is actually spent in a bathroom, so as long as people can be flexible, then you can easily have more people with only a single bathroom.

I just recently had family visit, and we had a dozen people in my house, with two bathrooms. We had no issues at all. However, I'm not entirely sure one of the visiting children bothered to bathe more than once in almost a week.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2017-07-30 at 09:29 PM.

Depends i guess .... would as a general thing say that 2 adults and 2 kids can share 1 bathroom as the kids gets older or a 3th kids enters the home a 2nd becomes more and more *needed*

On the other hand ... if all 4 needs to get out of the house at the same time of the day for work/school a 2nd bathroom might be needed before ....

Deleted
    I know its a bit of a cop-out answer, but it mostly depends on a few factors:
    -Is the toilet in the bathroom or a secondary room?
    -Is there any ''peak traffic'' time (ie in the morning when people wake up/when people go to bed or is work/school etc hours different)?
    -Are you all active showerers? How long do you need? Do you shower every morning?
    -Are people prude (ie do you mind one person being behind the showercurtain while the other person brushes their teeth?)

Its mostly about peak activity as well as the amount of stress you are willing to accept/if you are willing to work out/enforce a schedule.

If everyone is using the shower around the same time and everyone needs 15 minutes in the shower then you really can't work live together with 3 people even.
    However if everyone goes to work/bed/school at different hours or is willing to compromise, you can easily have 6 adults sharing a bathroom

3 people (non-children) per bathroom.

I think two coordinated people can share a bathroom. Maybe you can even add a kid or two to that situation. Add anything more than that and it becomes inconvenient.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My house does 4 people for 1 bathroom. Thankfully we are not grubs so we can manage it easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    3 or less if they have similar schedules (aka: M-F 9-5 jobs). It also depends on the size and quality of the bathroom.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

5+ or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    3 or more 4 if under 30 years old
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Really I hate having to share bathrooms.
    Guess that's what you get when living alone for a decade. :X

My wife and I have found out for a successful marriage you absolutely need 2 bathrooms... for many reasons, most stinky.

2. You will thank once you experience slight food poisoning or other stomach related illnesses.
    Not to mention the morning schedules if both work regular jobs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I would say 3. However, it depends on the schedule everyone runs on. If all 3 need to be out the house by a certain time and it overlaps then two is really needed so others don't have to wake up super early to shower. If, however, your schedule is spread out enough you can have one. My family used to have 6-7 people on 1.5 and we made it work so you can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

7+ Year Old Account
    One woman.

Deleted
    Three people per bathroom would be my choice.

Growing up in a house with 1 bathroom and 5 people, I'd say that that's probably about at the limit, especially in the morning when everyone had to get ready. This only worked because we (by necessity, I suppose) were not prudish about generally getting ready, brushing teeth, using the toilet and so on while someone was showering. If you want to be comfortable and not rushed, it's probably better to go with something like 1 bathroom per 3 people.
    Last edited by Sevyvia; 2017-07-30 at 10:13 PM.

"Need" is subjective. In my opinion...2.

I like having my own bathroom. I also don't like having to wait to poop.

2 people 2 bathrooms. It doesn't have to be 2 full bathrooms, but you really do need 2 toilets/spaces to get ready in the morning or if you both get food poisoning. Also, you never know when one bathroom is going to be renovated or out of order because the toilet broke or other mysterious plumbing problem. If I lived alone I might get by with 1, but I don't like taking those chances. I'd say 5 people can share 2 though.