Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    And that bill is highly controversial since it also funds Trumps wall.
    What kind of system allows the linking of such unrelated topics into a single law?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    CNN has picked up on it by now that I saw.
    And they added info that was missing from other publications.
    Namely that this is but an amendment to a bill that still needs voting on.

And that bill is highly controversial since it also funds Trumps wall.
    Good chance the bill never makes it.
    And this is just being used to shame those who vote against it with.
    What's with american law makers and just making bills that are about every little thing that isn't even related to the original intend of the bill in the first place, i know it's a large country with a lot of interests and red tape but come on.

Look at all you lunatic liberals calling for the death of this kid. I guess murdering children while they're still in the womb isn't enough for you anymore, now you want sick kids to die too? Fuck the lot of you.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-07-19 at 03:48 PM.

This is great, its what the parents want so do it. While its unlikely it will save the kid and may even prolong his pain, its their choice and the data gathered during the treatment could be used to further studies of the disease and treatment options.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Vexilius View Post
    Look at all you lunatic liberals calling for the death of this kid. I guess murdering children while they're still in the womb isn't enough for you anymore, now you want sick kids to die too? Fuck the lot of you.
    Im not a liberal, but I do think in this case the baby should be allowed to die from the disease he is already dying from with some dignity and compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    This is great, its what the parents want so do it. While its unlikely it will save the kid and may even prolong his pain, its their choice and the data gathered during the treatment could be used to further studies of the disease and treatment options.
    it isn't the parent's choice though. that's what the american folk here are missing ENTIRELY

american law(s) do not apply to europe, and the european courts (britain is a part of europe in case you were unaware) deem child rights above parental rights.
    Last edited by Floopa; 2017-07-19 at 03:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexilius View Post

[Infracted]
    This is not about "liberals", any more than it's about any other political movement, you muppet.

The kid is already braindead that can't breath, see, hear, or do anything. His organs are failing as well. This treatment they are giving him will merely prolong his braindead life by a little bit, but it will not cure him.
    Last edited by Santti; 2017-07-19 at 04:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    This is not about "liberals", any more than it's about any other political movement, you muppet.

The kid is already braindead that can't breath, see, hear, or do anything. This treatment they are giving him will merely prolong his braindead life by a little bit, but it will not cure him.
    Don't forget how he can still feel. So he's essentially trapped in a prison made of his own flesh, an entire universe which consists only of unrelenting agony.

But of course, turning of life support makes the doctors the REAL MONSTERS!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    Don't forget how he can still feel. So he's essentially trapped in a prison made of his own flesh, an entire universe which consists only of unrelenting agony.

But of course, turning of life support makes the doctors the REAL MONSTERS!
    Thought it was unsure if he could feel anything anymore? Either way, it's still unethical, and should not be treated further.

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    it isn't the parent's choice though. that's what the american folk here are missing ENTIRELY

american law(s) do not apply to europe, and the european courts (britain is a part of europe in case you were unaware) deem child rights above parental rights.
    At this point parents are willingly turning their kid into a lab rat and being praised for it.

People are saying that this couple are doing for the sake of child. However, they're doing for themselves, because they can't let kid go, they're prolonging his suffering. It's a selfish act that's disguised as something noble.

One can vaguely compare it to a grandma asking to be euthanised as she doesn't want to suffer anymore, but her children decide to ignore it and let her live in pain till the end of her life because they can't let go of her, because they love and respect her so so much. That's anything, but love and respect.
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-07-19 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    He's an 11 month old, severely brain damaged child. He literally can not make choices for himself. Someone has to have power over his life.
    True... and that should fall onto the parents (the givers of that life), not the doctors, not the state.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    True... and that should fall onto the parents (the givers of that life), not the doctors, not the state.
    And that is not how it works in europe and the UK.
    You're not given free reign over doing whatever harm to your kids you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    the entirety of Europe disagrees with you.

So I guess this means congressional republicans are finally on board with universal healthcare for all citizens and heck even foreigners now too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    I have two kids of my own, and if every doctor who saw my child and was familiar with the disorder said my child would never recover, I would have pulled the plug already.
    Dr Michio Hirano, who is a world expert on the nucleoside treatment being denied to Charlie, from the Columbia University Medical Center in New York believes he can legitimately help Charlie. What we have here is a brutal difference between European approaches to medicine, vs US approaches to medicine.

I remember during the actual trial when Dr Hirano was testifying, he said something interesting "If Charlie had been born in the US, and we discovered the mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome, he would have started receiving the treatments without delay" (paraphrase).

For some of us, this is becoming both a case of "How far will a parent go", and also a case of "does letting the government determine your value as a life devalue that life?"

There are levels of politics here that are sickening. And I am not talking about international politics. I am talking about the politics of the court and the hospital Charlie is staying at. It would be one thing if random doctors were claiming they could help, without specific knowledge. This dr is WORLD RENOWNED for his knowledge of THIS VERY DISEASE. That, to me, is what makes the case so ridiculous. The hospital and Human rights (WHAT A LAUGH) courts are being feckless, and padentic about making sure this child dies.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    So I guess this means congressional republicans are finally on board with universal healthcare for all citizens and heck even foreigners now too?
    No, they just want the 1.2m GBP. And for other congress members to be guilted into voting for a law that gives money to trumps wall.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

above guy ignoring that the saint US doctor wants $2 mil to treat Charlie the same way the NHS did for £0

but let's shit on European healthcare to fuel an agenda ))

Quote Originally Posted by Jibberjabber View Post
    Thread too long to read, but this hasn't actually happened yet, if no one else has pointed it out.

A committee in the House of Representatives approved an amendment to controversial legislation (trumps border wall) that would give Charlie Gard and his parents permanent residency. For this to be law, the bill it is attached to has to pass in the House and then pass in the Senate without having this amendment removed along the way.
    Which makes it even worse. It's blatant emotional manipulation. ''Oh, so you don't want the wall? Well now you're responsible if the kid dies!!''

It's shameless pandering. The politicians couldn't give less of a fuck about the kid or any research gains made on his back, they just want to score brownie points using his name.

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    I remember during the actual trial when Dr Hirano was testifying, he said something interesting "If Charlie had been born in the US, and we discovered the mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome, he would have started receiving the treatments without delay" (paraphrase).
    The same doctor who also said this isn't a cure, and won't reverse the damage already caused, but might if they are super lucky, prevent further damage to charlies muscles and brain?

Even if it stop further degradation of charlies body, the kid isn't gonna magically get any quality of life..

The parents are not above the law, they can not do whatever the fuck they want, just because it was their DNA that spawned Charlie. Charlie has rights, and currently his parents are hurting him. So the state needs to stop that.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Why/how does US congress care about this? Who put that motion up? Surely the $1-2m dollars involved is to little money for them to care? Is it some political posturing to the UK? Do the parents know a friend of some congressmen?
    Republicans are using the NHS' refusal to treat this kid as evidence of death panels and how evil socialized medicine is..