Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Proof you can make bank exploiting irrational people driven by emotions.

Shame on the parents for making their personal tragedy a public matter.

Is this a green light to subject every terminal brain-dead/vegetative patient to medical experimentation?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    Is this a green light to subject every terminal brain-dead/vegetative patient to medical experimentation?
    Not really, I dont see how the US can overule the European and UK courts on UK citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    I hope the surgery proves effective and he goes onto life some semblance of a normal life or at the very least some valuable data is derived from it so it can help the next child born with this extremely rare condition.
    Except even the doctor doing the experimental treatment says it's not a cure. Kid isn't going to have a life, even if it works.

This is all about political propaganda for the US healthcare debate, not about saving the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Not really, I dont see how the US can overule the European and UK courts on UK citizens.
    You're completely right. I was more thinking along the lines of how far down the road the people who hail this as a success are looking.

If he's suffering, is he just a necessary expense for medical "progress"? That, or God wants your kid to suffer.

If he's not suffering and it's terminal, then everything's peachy and we should take advantage of the situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    It's amazing how people don't realize the precedent this sets. We don't do human experimentation for a reason, even if they are in a vegetative state or completely brain-dead.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Let the kid have a chance at life! I can't believe how many people in this thread would rather him die. Life is an amazing experience and every opportunity to save a life should be taken!

Quote Originally Posted by ryast View Post
    Let the kid have a chance at life! I can't believe how many people in this thread would rather him die. Life is an amazing experience and every opportunity to save a life should be taken!
    The experimental treatment he could get is not a cure. He will still die, he will not have a life to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Such a ridiculous effort to try to save the life of someone who is going to die anyway soon, while people that could be easily saved from the millions alone that were funded to his cause are dying in the thousands daily.

But sure, it's all about PR now, prolonging the suffering of a child for Facebook likes.
    Well he's white... that must weight in that decision.

This is a total jab at national healthcare.

they want to paint the picture that these single payer type systems have death panels and will kill you if you cost too much money

experimental services have almost never been covered by any kind of insurance, till get get a lot of bad press

10+ Year Old Account
    He doesn't have a chance at life. At best, the experimental treatment might buy him a few additional weeks of suffering in his current state, which requires constant life support as it is. There is no chance that this treatment would cure the underlying condition or lessen Charlie's symptoms.

He cannot hear, cannot see, cannot move, he can't breath. He cannot do anything at all. There is no chance at life to be had. The experimental treatment would as best allow him to continue in his near braindead state for a few weeks/months more. There is no miracle cure.

There is no future to be had for him.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

He doesn't have a chance. For all intents and purposes he's brain dead already, only alive thanks to machinery with no prospect of significant improvement at all. The experimental treatment (that's never been tested before IIRC) will at best prolong his life a bit if it even works. There is no undoing the damage that he has suffered. Doctors aren't wizards.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    They raised the money. It isn't on tax payers.

If this is true. I see no other reason to stop them.

Who's going to pay for it? Republicans don't even want to pay for healthcare for our own citizens.

Of course it's not a cure, it's a treatment that maybe able to improve the condition. The doctors wouldn't even attempt the treatment if they thought it stood zero chance. As much as people want to believe, I don't think the doctors are doing this for self-centered reason.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...6#post46580026
    Yes, lets take the judgement of a doctor who stands to earn a ton of money off of the treatment over the judgement of every other doctor who don't make money off of him.

Of course it's not a cure, it's a treatment that maybe able to improve the condition. The doctors wouldn't even attempt the treatment if they thought it stood zero chance. As much as people want to believe, I don't think the doctors are doing this for self-centered reason.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/14/health...-bn/index.html
    If the treatment works he'll have a few more months of life and have decreased pain. It's not going to fix his severe brain damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    If this is true. I see no other reason to stop them.
    The reason being needless suffering with no hope.
    The money is not the problem, the opinion of the parents does not matter. its about whats best for the baby and there is no hope for him.

Sad as it may be, reality works like that.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    Yes, but it's still incurable
    But they can still function with said incurable disease. It's not the incurable part that is the issue. It's that he will never be able to live any sort of live.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    So ask yourself, whose actually wasted more time, money, professional skill and actually prolonging the suffering of the child here?

Still the parent who have been fighting to keep him on life support instead of ending his suffering.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The parents own grief is blinding them to the reality that their kid is essentially dead. They need to let their child pass and donate the organs and give a chance for kids who can actually be saved.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump