Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    The treatment could provide the very data needed to give future kids a chance at being saved.
    So the kid is basically a pithed lab rat/frog at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    They have a GoFundMe donation page that has raised about 1.3m right now. So, random people are paying for it.
    1.3 million won't go far. Especially for long term care of a kid like that. He will become a ward of the US. Chronic care for a ventilated patient is extremely expensive. Not to mention the cost of transporting a critically ill patient from Europe to the US. What's been be raised will quickly exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    He doesn't have a chance at life. At best, the experimental treatment might buy him a few additional weeks of suffering in his current state, which requires constant life support as it is. There is no chance that this treatment would cure the underlying condition or lessen Charlie's symptoms.
    There is an argument that the state shouldn't have to pay for the treatment. I don't see how you can argue that the state should have the power to prevent private citizens from seeking treatment in another country through private means.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    There is an argument that the state shouldn't have to pay for the treatment. I don't see how you can argue that the state should have the power to prevent private citizens from seeking treatment in another country through private means.
    Because the private citizen in question cannot make that decision on the grounds of being braindead. And the parents do not have supreme rights over their child in Europe. When doctors and parents disagree someone has to arbitrate (the state in this case).
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    He doesn't have a chance at life. At best, the experimental treatment might buy him a few additional weeks of suffering in his current state, which requires constant life support as it is. There is no chance that this treatment would cure the underlying condition or lessen Charlie's symptoms.
    I agree with Endus (see it happens!). The doctors and judges previously involved all have families, probably children of their own. It's too easy to dehumanize them as 'da gubmint' when you disagree with them. The media narrative nearly always omits key details. Those intimately involved must have found reason enough to take Charlie's parents all the way up the courts knowing full well the agony his parents were facing. Balancing that with their duty to do no harm they thought it best to keep him where he is.

I don't know that there is going to be a right answer here, or even a good one, but the judgment of Charlie's doctors should carry a whole lot more weight than I feel it is being given.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    FML, No as stated there doctors performing the treatment believe there is a chance of improvement. They wouldn't even attempt the procedure if they believed there was zero chance. However, like any experimental treatment ( like many that we have as standard treatments today), they aren't going to let valuable data go to waste. This sort of knee jerk reaction as a lot of the opposition seems to have is a sign you aren't thinking clearly.

There is a 10% chance he might get some muscle movement back. Thats it.... He will still need constant medical care the rest of his life.

I'm the one not thinking clearly? lol
    More like $2-3mil make people say the darnest things about other people's prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    1.3 million won't go far. Especially for long term care of a kid like that. He will become a ward of the US. Chronic care for a ventilated patient is extremely expensive. Not to mention the cost of transporting a critically ill patient from Europe to the US. What's been be raised will quickly exhausted.
    Don't forget that experimental treatment doesn't come cheap, especially if it's tailored to such a rare condition.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    It may sound callous to point out but, "long term" isn't really a thing in this case, I don't think. Because "the rest of his life" isn't really going to be all that long. He's alive only because of the machines keeping him that way as it is.
    Yeah, I thought about adding that his life still wouldn't last long with the treatment, but decided I was too lazy to edit the post lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Don't forget that experimental treatment doesn't come cheap, especially if it's tailored to such a rare condition.
    Its not even tailored to his condition. Its a treatment for a similar kind of condition. Which is why there is no idea if it will even do anything. Its not intended or tested for his particular variation.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    So what happens when his medical condition deteriorates after this treatment, and he's too sick to be moved again? Will he be a US resident indefinitely?

Meanwhile The White House has proposed nearly $6 billion in cuts to the Children’s Health Insurance Program, or CHIP, which provides health care coverage for 8.9 million low-income children. The president’s budget also proposes $1.4 trillion in cuts over the next 10 years to Medicaid, which provides health care to approximately 37 million more poor children.

But now they have a shiny new political prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    I'm curious as to where the keep him alive forever artificially crowd sides with assisted suicide
    While this response is hours late, and I have yet to read beyond this point, I am in favor of assisted suicide.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Its not even tailored to his condition. Its a treatment for a similar kind of condition. Which is why there is no idea if it will even do anything. Its not intended or tested for his particular variation.
    Splendid. So of course they will need to test more treatments afterwards. I've been through this route myself with family, it's not pretty, and while in my case it was covered by the State, the kid's family ain't so lucky.

As for the question someone asked about assisted suicide, I'm in favor of it too. So long as it's the decision of the patient, and that more than one doctor is involved in the process. There comes a point where being alive means nothing if you're in constant pain and you just cannot take it anymore, and are going to die regardless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Other people in this thread:

"You can't walk, talk, breath, move, see, hear, or do ANYthing else a human being should be able to do on their own, and you'll never have a quality of life such that you can't achieve ANY amount of autonomy...so let's keep you alive attached to machinery for as long as we can!"

Yeah, fucking retarded.
    Where have I read about this before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

There comes a point where being alive means nothing if you're in constant pain and you just cannot take it anymore, and are going to die regardless.
    You mean like where Charlie Gard is now then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    Dr Michio Hirano, who is a world expert on the nucleoside treatment being denied to Charlie, from the Columbia University Medical Center in New York believes he can legitimately help Charlie. What we have here is a brutal difference between European approaches to medicine, vs US approaches to medicine.

I remember during the actual trial when Dr Hirano was testifying, he said something interesting "If Charlie had been born in the US, and we discovered the mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome, he would have started receiving the treatments without delay if his family could pay" (paraphrase).

For some of us, this is becoming both a case of "How far will a parent go", and also a case of "does letting the government determine your value as a life devalue that life?"

There are levels of politics here that are sickening. And I am not talking about international politics. I am talking about the politics of the court and the hospital Charlie is staying at. It would be one thing if random doctors were claiming they could help, without specific knowledge. This dr is WORLD RENOWNED for his knowledge of THIS VERY DISEASE. That, to me, is what makes the case so ridiculous. The hospital and Human rights (WHAT A LAUGH) courts are being feckless, and padentic about making sure this child dies.
    Added bolded to show a more accurate portrayal in the states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paying for the treatment means fuckall.

If it cost a dollar, it would still be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    You mean like where Charlie Gard is now then?
    Yes, but the difference is that he's not conscious and cannot make the decision. While I think efforts to prolong his life are futile, that the US doctors are banking on a forlorn hope and that the dolts in Congress are profiteers of the highest order, I'm still unsure that this verdict should be thrust upon desperate parents.

Yet at some point someone has to make the call, I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but the difference is that he's not conscious and cannot make the decision. While I think efforts to prolong his life are futile, that the US doctors are banking on a forlorn hope and that the dolts in Congress are profiteers of the highest order, I'm still unsure that this verdict should be thrust upon desperate parents.

Yet at some point someone has to make the call, I suppose.
    Had to make he call *again*

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Well I hope it works out.
    You hope the family flies to the USA, wastes nearly a million dollars, and that maybe, just maybe, the treatment works (about a 0.1% chance) so that the kid actually regains enough mental capacity to fully understand how much he is suffering, just so he can suffer more and then die (his death is 100% guaranteed)?

That's rather sick.

Edit: Never mind, just found out that the "Treatment" is only to see if they can maybe restore a bit of muscle functiuonality. So the kid is still going to be a permanent vegetable, still in permanent pain, and still attached to machines for the rest of his incredibly short, incredibly painful life. At least he will never be cognizant enough to know that his parents are torturing him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Except that the baby is currently little better than a vegetable mentally, and will NEVER get better.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2017-07-20 at 07:03 AM.