Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

'Confederate' - New show from Game of Thrones' David Benioff and D.B. Weiss

Synopsis from HBO:
    Quote Originally Posted by HBO
    Confederate chronicles the events leading to the Third American Civil War. The series takes place in an alternate timeline, where the southern states have successfully seceded from the Union, giving rise to a nation in which slavery remains legal and has evolved into a modern institution. The story follows a broad swath of characters on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Demilitarized Zone — freedom fighters, slave hunters, politicians, abolitionists, journalists, the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate and the families of people in their thrall.
    The show is set to start production after the final season of Game of Thrones wraps up next year.

Per Variety on who else is involved in the production:
    Quote Originally Posted by Variety
    Benioff and Weiss created “Confederate” and will serve showrunners, executive producers and writers, along with Nichelle Tramble Spellman (“Justified,” “The Good Wife”) and Malcolm Spellman (“Empire”), who will co-write the series and executive produce. “Game of Thrones” producers Carolyn Strauss and Bernadette Caulfield will also serve as executive producers.

------------
    So all we have is HBO's synopsis to go on... Seems like a pretty controversial thing to make a series about, how do you think it will go?

Do you think it will just be an SJW soapbox about how evil the south and racism are? Do you think they will try to make the viewer sympathetic to the CSA (à la some of the Nazis in Amazon's Man in the High Castle)?

Either way it seems to have the potential to royally piss one side or the other off, probably both.

What say ye?

Personally I am very much looking forward to it... Interesting premise, experienced and popular writers, HBO's deep pockets... Has the potential to be great, IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not any worse than Amazon making a show about Nazi's and what would have happened if they won, I am sure HBO will survive. I have Netflix for a reason.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

man i got all excited, i thought it would be a band of brothers in the civil war days, but its more a confederate man in the high castle.

"A nation in which slavery remains legal"

Hahahaha. No way in hell this survives to the modern age in the Western World even if the South wins. Maybe if you use Alien Space Bats you'd get it to happy. Sounds like a flop.

Seems really cool, but is it actually gonna be with HBO? Surprised to see them working on something when season 8 is ahead of them.
    Honestly, I like dan and dave but don't feel like they are the reason the show is as good as it is.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Seems really cool, but is it actually gonna be with HBO? Surprised to see them working on something when season 8 is ahead of them.
    Honestly, I like dan and dave but don't feel like they are the reason the show is as good as it is.
    They aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    The show is set to start production after the final season of Game of Thrones wraps up next year.

15+ Year Old Account
    Might be alright. It's not like i cared about got after season 4 though. The only show I've watched in the last 2 years is westworld and the best character "died" in that so eh

It doesn't excite me, but I love GoT and respect those two.

It's something I'll keep an eye on.

We'll see. In two years...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Borrowed from High Castle, but definitely interesting. The thing is that I could see the producers thinking they'll make this show, with the moral message of telling the far-right/modern confederate heritage and tradition southern folks how bad it would have been if they won. And therefore they should drop the confederate romanticism.

However, I am worried this show will boomarang and actually fire up and rally that group even if they are painted in a bad light on the show. I could see a lot of "Bubbas" totally missing any deeper negative points the producers are trying to make, and simply look at it on the surface as how cool it would have been had the south won.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Borrowed from High Castle, but definitely interesting. The thing is that I could see the producers thinking they'll make this show, with the moral message of telling the far-right/modern confederate heritage and tradition southern folks how bad it would have been if they won. And therefore they should drop the confederate romanticism.

However, I am worried this show will boomarang and actually fire up and rally that group even if they are painted in a bad light on the show. I could see a lot of "Bubbas" totally missing any deeper negative points the producers are trying to make, and simply look at it on the surface as how cool it would have been had the south won.
    Not that far fetched considering how many commented after watching man in the high castle how they would prefer that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Borrowed from High Castle,
    ...well wasn't that just taken from Wolfenstein?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    ...well wasn't that just taken from Wolfenstein?
    No. Man in the High Castle the series is based on a novel released in 1962.

This is my concern as well. I mean, it's an interesting premise, although I kind of agree with the poster a couple posts above you, that slavery, even if the South seceded successfully, wouldn't have survived to modern times. Unless they're going to paint the Confederate States of America as some third world country where slavery still exists (like our actual modern world). But with their talk about "conglomerate owners," I feel like they're going to be talking about actual corporate slavery and a modern society where slavery exists - which doesn't seem like a feasible storyline.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds like a really uninteresting premise for a show.

How can it be a civil war if secession happened and they are two separate nations?

I'm sorry but D&D's recent 'artistic freedom' on GoT makes me uninterested in their other work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    That sounds like a really uninteresting premise for a show.

How can it be a civil war if secession happened and they are two separate nations?
    If the Union never recognized them as a sovereign state and still considers them a part of the US.

Peace can be negotiated without recognition. The the 1948 Arab-Israeli War (Israeli War for Independence), for example, Israel won and an armistice was signed, but none of those states recognized the state of Israel at the time, some of them still don't.

I don't think there is anyway you can portray the southern states of america in a positive light in this show. The south is already pretty creepy. This show will make it even more creepy.

And queue the usual suspects all ready in an uproar about it. Something about it being a white mans fantasy of enslaving the black people again or some such.

A bit off topic but I would recommend people watching the mocumentary "The Confederate States of America" that has the same general idea (it might be against the rules to post it directly here but Youtube "C.S.A The Confederate States of America"). Its basically a "BBC Documentary" in the modern age in this alternative history where the CSA won. It details its history of the CSA from 1860 to the 2000 and in-between it shows commercials like "Coon Chicken Inn" (which is real) and an upcoming episode of "Fugitives" which is a COPS parody of capturing run away slaves.
    Last edited by akris15; 2017-07-20 at 07:06 AM.

Always wanted to see a series based on the Timeline-191 series.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.