Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weltmacht View Post
    Is it really not in America? In Finland it sure as hell is.
    Some places do I think...but this is Florida we're talking about...a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    on the one hand, this is a terrible thing. on the other, while reprehensible, their actions violated no laws that I know of as there are no compulsory valor laws in the US(you are not required to help those in need in any legal sense) and in many cases trying to assist can and will get you sued.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    There was no realistic opportunity for any authorities to save this man. The watchers' attitude is disturbing, but they cannot be held responsible for something they couldn't prevent. The guilt is on the drowned man, who swam in a not allowed place.
    You cannot charge anyone with murder of a person who died in accident.
    Doesn't matter if there is a realistic opportunity for any authorities to get to him.

Like I said any that had Good Samaritan law, these kids would be charged with manslaughter by negligence. They could have done many things, They decided to record it and laugh about it.

They are old enough to know right from wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    on the one hand, this is a terrible thing. on the other, while reprehensible, their actions violated no laws that I know of as there are no compulsory valor laws in the US(you are not required to help those in need in any legal sense) and in many cases trying to assist can and will get you sued.
    Depending on the state you are in you are correct.

There is many states that have a Good Samaritan law,
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    Let's hypothesise your child drowned. How would you feel in regards to these kids filming it and bragging about it online?
    It's not a question of morality. What they did was wrong. They should have offered assistance in the form of calling the police. No one is arguing that point. I would have done that much...followed very quickly by leaving the scene so I wouldn't get stuck with witness paperwork.

I was just trying to understand the logic behind the argument "living in a society is reason enough alone to justify legally enforcing aide." Remove the emotional arguments and there doesn't seem to be much logic behind it.

Can we laugh at those Teens being tortured? Cuz thats what they deserve, slow and painful death. Pure Agony. Those fucking human trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    leads to atrocities like the one in the video.
    Which atrocities? An idiot is swimming in the pool in the middle of nowhere with no other swimmers or life guard around, gets in the middle and drowns. No one is at fault here and no one is committing an atrocity.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Doesn't matter if there is a realistic opportunity for any authorities to get to him.

Like I said any that had Good Samaritan law, these kids would be charged with manslaughter by negligence. They could have done many things, They decided to record it and laugh about it.

They are old enough to know right from wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Depending on the state you are in you are correct.

There is many states that have a Good Samaritan law,
    From what I understand though, good samaritan laws are a tool to prevent people from turning around and suing people whom saved them in the case where proper authorities couldn't reach them in time(like dragging someone out of a burning car wreck, if they get injured in any way, pretty good odds you'll see a lawyer in your future) or I may be attributing a different law entirely.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Which atrocities? An idiot is swimming in the pool in the middle of nowhere with no other swimmers or life guard around, gets in the middle and drowns. No one is at fault here and no one is committing an atrocity.
    So kids recording a video of a mentally handicapped person drowning and laughing about it isn't a atrocity to you?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

manslaughter by negligence.
    What negligence? They were 50 meters away from him, and none of their actions or inactions had anything to do with what's happened.

From what I understand though, good samaritan laws are a tool to prevent people from turning around and suing people whom saved them in the case where proper authorities couldn't reach them in time(like dragging someone out of a burning car wreck, if they get injured in any way, pretty good odds you'll see a lawyer in your future) or I may be attributing a different law entirely.
    Its both.
    http://www.yourdictionary.com/good-samaritan-law
    good samaritan law

Noun
    (plural Good Samaritan laws)

(law) A law that exempts from legal liability a person who attempts to give reasonable aid to another person who is injured, ill, or otherwise imperiled.
    (law) A law that requires able persons, without putting themselves at risk, to provide reasonable aid to persons who are injured, ill, or otherwise imperiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon-Man View Post
    Can we laugh at those Teens being tortured? Cuz thats what they deserve, slow and painful death. Pure Agony. Those fucking human trash.
    Shitty as what they've done may be, this sentiment does not make you a better person.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Such a sweet generation growing. Can't wait for them to grow up and get a profession. Can you imagine one of them being your surgeon, for example?
    These have been around in every generation. It's just the first one that has realibly access to a camera all the time and a means to display their disgusting attitude for the world to see..

What negligence? They were 50 meters away from him, and none of their actions or inactions had anything to do with what's happened.
    Read my above reply to Kasuke06. If they was in a state with a good samaritan law it would be negligence.

To re-quote it in case you missed it.
    http://www.yourdictionary.com/good-samaritan-law
    good samaritan law

Noun
    (plural Good Samaritan laws)

(law) A law that exempts from legal liability a person who attempts to give reasonable aid to another person who is injured, ill, or otherwise imperiled.
    (law) A law that requires able persons, without putting themselves at risk, to provide reasonable aid to persons who are injured, ill, or otherwise imperiled.

This was in Florida.

Unless you are a trained professional you are not going into the murky waters of Florida unless you want to play patty cake with some gators.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    It's not a crime to not save someone's life.

It's an ass thing to do, but it's not a crime.
    I'm pretty sure if a 7 year old kid falls into a pool and someone decides to videotape it and laugh about it until he dies that someone should be put in jail.

This is a very disturbing thing to do and it should be a crime to not help someone in risk of death IF there is no danger whatsoever. Just giving a hand.
    This case is different...but is still disturbing.

This situation really makes you think about human nature...........
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-07-21 at 06:00 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, thank you for the clarification!

Though in this case they would also be legally justified in not intervening as safely rescuing drowning people requires special training and/or tools. the appropriate methodology here would need a properly buoyant object and a rope, or resuscitation training. Fun fact: rescuing drowning people is not "just swim out and grab them you heartless monster!" unless you want two waterlogged corpses instead of one. you either wait until shortly after they drown and stop flailing then quickly retrieve and resuscitate before brain death can occur, or throw them something buoyant to grab onto and drag them along back to shore.

Though, those kids were dicks, they should have reported it immediately so that proper authorities could have retrieved the body quickly at least.

In Florida you are correct, In many other states you are 100% wrong.

It should be a crime nation wide.
    What if they can't swim?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    What if they can't swim?
    They can.....

1) Call 911
    2) Seek Nearby Help

Good Samaritan law only requires you to do what is within reason and not harmful to yourself.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-07-21 at 07:01 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    It's not a question of morality. What they did was wrong. They should have offered assistance in the form of calling the police. No one is arguing that point. I would have done that much...followed very quickly by leaving the scene so I wouldn't get stuck with witness paperwork.

I was just trying to understand the logic behind the argument "living in a society is reason enough alone to justify legally enforcing aide." Remove the emotional arguments and there doesn't seem to be much logic behind it.
    People aren't arguing with you saying you need to help physically. People are arguing that they should be punished for not even reporting it to emergency services. I know I would want scumbags, who didn't offer a family member of mine a chance of survival, to be penalised one way or another..

Ah, thank you for the clarification!

Though in this case they would also be legally justified in not intervening as safely rescuing drowning people requires special training and/or tools. the appropriate methodology here would need a properly buoyant object and a rope, or resuscitation training. Fun fact: rescuing drowning people is not "just swim out and grab them you heartless monster!" unless you want two waterlogged corpses instead of one. you either wait until shortly after they drown and stop flailing then quickly retrieve and resuscitate before brain death can occur, or throw them something buoyant to grab onto and drag them along back to shore.

Though, those kids were dicks, they should have reported it immediately so that proper authorities could have retrieved the body quickly at least.
    Like I said to Bryntrollian they could have called 911 or Seek Nearby Help. You are only required to do what is within reason, If your state has a Good Samaritan law.