Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Boss: Headscarf is “unprofessional” So employee shows up in cosplay daily.

http://mymodernmet.com/june-rivas-co...iscrimination/

Workplace discrimination has met its match in June Rivas. She recently launched a bold legal battle against her boss, who had referred to Rivas' head scarf and ponytail as “unprofessional,” despite an explicitly stated lack of a dress code in their employment contract. When Rivas filed a complaint for harassment, her boss issued a memo to create a new set of rules governing employee appearance, forbidding “cultural head wraps” as well as visible straps, sandals, hats, lace, and more. Rivas is complying with the regulations—but not in the way her manager had likely expected.

Championing her prerogative to express herself as she sees fit, Rivas now turns up at work everyday in impressive cosplay. Each outfit is technically allowed—after all, the guidelines say nothing about wigs, capes, or colored contacts. In the meantime, she's waiting for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to investigate the situation.

“#NeverPissOffCosplayingScorpios,” she writes on Facebook—and if you do, expect an audacious retort. Her chosen characters might wear capes, but it's Rivas herself who's the spunky superhero, crusading for the rights of women everywhere.

Who's in the wrong here? I understand you'r boss telling you he doesnt like your head scarf isnt nice. But being a child about it and deliberately coming to work dressed like that and hurting the business is something to be fired over. Thoughts?

its ok to wear whatever you want if its appropriate and don't hurt the job
    the boss is wrong 100%

How is that "hurting the business", exactly?

Idk.. her outfit looks like she is a peasant walking the streets with Moses in BC years. Then she literally said fuck you to the boss with the cosplay outfit.

In no way is what the boss doing justifiable.

There is no dress code in the employment contract.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    How is that "hurting the business", exactly?
    She could scare off potential customers that visit the workplace.
    Dunno if she visites customers like that. But anyone selling me a B2B product looking like that wont make it past my secretary.

Sounds like someone that is about to get fired and will soon complain about how oppressive and how much of a women hater the boss was.

Unsurprising.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Farrarie View Post
    its ok to wear whatever you want if its appropriate and don't hurt the job
    the boss is wrong 100%
    Well, a headscarf (despite not being limited to one religion) could scare of potential, say Jewish, customers for example.. Seeing the historical relationship between those 2 isnt exactly peachy.
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2017-07-21 at 08:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    Well, a headscarf could scare of potential Jewish customers for example.. Seeing the historical relationship between those 2 isnt exactly peachy.
    Yes because jewish people never, ever wear heardscarv-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tichel

Whoops.

Don't claim that people are being culturally insensitive when you have zero idea of that culture. Or are you being "offended" for someone else and claiming that they need safe spaces?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I think both of these people sound insufferable.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Deleted
    He should fire her immediately, it's juvenile and unprofessional behavior.

She has dozens of these apparently. I think she should just comply with her boss's wishes while she's on the job.

She might be one of those cosplayers for hire people who cosplay at cons.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Seems the employee has personal issues that should be resolved before pursuing a professional career.

I bet every time she arrives at work, she walks in in slow motion, and out of nowhere "Sabotage" starts playing.

crusading for the rights of women everywhere
    I don't see how this is a women's rights issue. Are men being allowed to wear scarves?
    Signature not found

7+ Year Old Account
    Aslong as it is set up in an employment contract, the boss should be able to really set up how his employees dress. I think every employer should have that right, especially if they work face-to-face with people. But in this situation the boss is overdoing it. He had not at the start of the employment set up dress code and therefore he should not interfere in how his employees dress. Even more, it looks like Rivas is working a desk job with no face-to-face, so i don't see why her apperance should matter much.

Don't know what it has to do with equal rights, sexism or any specific woman stuff.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

That woman is absolutely gorgeous.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    She might be one of those cosplayers for hire people who cosplay at cons.
    She does have that cheap whorish look that you need for cosplaying, so go for it.

Both look pretty dumb but whatever - who cares. People leave the house with so much make up on that it looks like they just had their face pushed into a chocolate cake and bosses say nothing - why say something about some dumb headscarf?

no indication of where she works, but I am kind of curious: I was pretty sure that for the vast majority of places, issuing a memo forbidding "cultural head wraps" would be an instant way to find a discrimination lawsuit shoved so far up your ass you could taste the ink on the paper. How exactly did her boss think that was a smart thing to do?

Also: This is appearently the attire that her boss found "Unprofessional". WTF? Looks perfectly acceptable to me (though I thought bellbottoms went out of style decades ago)

Last edited by Surfd; 2017-07-21 at 08:19 AM.