Did I get the job or not?

So to make the story short, I had an interview and everything went well, the manager seemed really interested in me and it lasted for about 50 minutes. So I leave and he says he would give me a call the next day. Come next day I never receive any call and start to suspect I didn't get the job, so I wait a day and call the hr manager that told me to come to the interview. I ask him what the process is and he tells me congratulations they want to off me the position and so I ask him when is orientation and he tells me he'll call me later today about the details of orientation because he doesn't have them yet, now it's 11:49 at night and still not a word from anyone.

So I'm trying to see what people think did he lie just to get me off the phone or did he just forget to call me?
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

I don't think any of us can say definitively whether you got it or not, but my advice is to be persistent. Call again on Monday (or tomorrow if it's a place that is open Saturdays). Email them as well if you have their email address.

The best thing to do is keep calling, especially since he told you that you got the job, follow that presumption and work with it until you are told otherwise

Manager is a flake. Just show up and take his job. He won't notice.

Or something.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just show up on Monday, say you're ready to finalize the paperwork. It forces the issue either way. If they blow you off again, just move on in the job search. If they happen to actually call with an offer later in the week, counter with 15% more ask in salary.

Personally working for people that make promises they have no intention of keeping, sucks. Extracting more money for the headache can make it worthwhile.

are you sure you gave them the right phone number?

Always get an email from the people get interview you and send a thank you email and a follow up email.

Call the interviewers workplace directly and speak with him during business hours. Things can get congested and slow when it comes to management and bureaucracy.
    "Today and forever I am your better, Arthas." - Illidan Stormrage

It seems like you DID get the job.

Unfortunately it seems like those people are just incompetent.

Thanks for the replies all I'll just call tomorrow and see what they say
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

It sounds like they want to make you an offer. Part of the problem with the delay could be there is an internal hang-up with what they want to offer you vs what the req was for. For my last job I had a similar issue, my manager wanted to offer me more than the job requisition had originally been approved for and there was a delay back and forth up the management chain.
    Maybe something (my issue) where the req was for someone just starting at that position, basically fresh out of college, but I had 5 years industry experience coming in so my manager wanted a higher pay grade to reflect that and match the benefits I had when I left my previous job and it just took time to get that approved. Like you've got someone in HR wanting to keep new hiring costs down vs a manager who wants to have proven experienced employees reporting to them.

They are busy and haven't gotten around to dealing with you yet.

It's also a demonstration of how that company is ran on a day to day basis, don't expect much from the new job.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

HR or Human Resource companies piss me off.

I never go to an Interview, even if I have been asked on phone to attend, unless I get an email confirming the time & date of an Interview.

iF THEY BOTHER TO EMAIL YOU. iT MEANS THEY ARE SERIOUS ABOUT YOU.

HR consultants are the bane of society. A gatekeeper between you and a successful career.

Most are very inexperienced and young.

However some recruitment companies are REALLY Good.
    And it pays to know the bad ones from the good ones.
    Last edited by Blobfish; 2017-07-22 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by staticflare View Post
    Thanks for the replies all I'll just call tomorrow and see what they say
    Call Monday, don't call on Sunday. Anything else I'd advise you to do, I wouldn't be as credible about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Show up, take the smaller office, and get to work on the Penski file.

Hard to say, keep putting in your resume to other companies though. Don't wait for them. I think also even if you get the job, you keep putting in resumes for a better job. Never stop trying to advance yourself.

Dont stop bugging them it shows you are keen and interested plus you have nothing to lose.