Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Well, Giulliani denies being considered and also defended Jeff Sessions. Whether the story was true or not, doesn't seem to matter anymore. Like some of you said, he wasn't exactly a shoo-in, either.
    Giuliani wouldn't be able to get 40 votes, let alone 50. This is the central-crux of the "Sessions ain't going anywhere" line of thinking. Consider what the Russia Sanctions are - an extraordinary, even historic (if narrow) rebuke of Presidential authority by Congress. As I wrote yesterday, you have to pretty much go back to the War Powers Act to see something similar (though this is very different).

Sessions is the best Trump is gonna get in terms of being a Trump true-believer. His next Attorney General? The only way it gets by Congress given how Trump-Russia has basically made Trump emphatically distrusted on Russia issues by the House and Senate is a Mattis figure. Some establishment, non-Trump Republican doing a national service. Someone who wouldn't just get 50 votes, but 70+.

Who is that figure? Well that in itself is an excellent question. It would be a height of historic irony if Trump-Russia and the gradual squeezing out of all the Trump-inner circle eventually lead to an evermore professional and apolitical executive branch.

I'd be surprised if Sessions quits. I do think Tillerson will be gone by the end of the year.

As for Mattis. That's a harder call than it was a few months ago because of some other things going on. Mattis is effectively the leader of the US Military right now, period. I think he knows that too. Moreover the 2018 budget gives him nearly $30 billion to do with as he pleases, which is something he requested because his focus has been on readiness, force growth and training to repair from the wreckage of the Obama years. I've wrote about this in other threads. The last two secretary's of defense have been really rather excellent despite everything. Ash Carter laid the ground work for industrial base ramp-up and the coming US Military tech revolution. But that is (and necessarily) forward thinking. He was thinking 10-15 year timescales. Mattis is focused on continuing that stuff, but also adding near term readiness. He's thinking 2-5 year timescales. It's a whole other kettle of fish.

As disgusted as Mattis probably gets with Trump, he may very well stay on because he thinks himself the best suited to rebuild the US Military. It's a big job, first pivoting away from Counter-Insurgency/Counter-Terrorism and to high-end mechanized great power warfare, and secondly, repairing the damage Obama's last 4 years did to US defenses.

It really depends how Mattis sees himself: as Trump's Secretary of Defense executing the "President's vision", or the guy protecting the US defense establishment from Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    It really depends how Mattis sees himself: as Trump's Secretary of Defense executing the "President's vision", or the guy protecting the US defense establishment from Trump.
    For a while there, Mattis seemed to be the press secretary too. Now Scaramucci is running that show. Think that will change where in that choice Mattis seems himself?

- - - Updated - - -

It just.

Doesn't.

STOP.

Cruz being considered to replace Sessions: report

President Trump and his advisers are floating possible replacements for Attorney General Jeff Sessions -- and the list includes Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), The Washington Post reports.

Cruz and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R) are reportedly among the candidates Trump’s team is considering to replace Sessions, though Giuliani said earlier in the day that he's not being considered.

Bla bla bla tweet, bla bla bla under the bus, come on, you know the words, sing along!
    At least Cruz would be more likely to be confirmed.

I can only imagine Cruz's colleagues would only be too happy to see him leave the Senate any way they can. Even if it would mean that they'd need to have another special election to replace him.

For a while there, Mattis seemed to be the press secretary too. Now Scaramucci is running that show. Think that will change where in that choice Mattis seems himself?

- - - Updated - - -

It just.

Doesn't.

STOP.

Cruz being considered to replace Sessions: report

Cruz would struggle for 30 votes. Even his Republican colleges hate the man.

McCain would come out of the hospital just to vote against Cruz out of general fucking principal.

Don't his fellow Senators hate the guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I can only imagine Cruz's colleagues would only be too happy to see him leave the Senate any way they can.
    Dilbert Principle?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Don't his fellow Senators hate the guy?
    Yeah, but he's gotta be more trusted to show some spine when Trump asks --

God dammit.

God dammit.
    That is still one of my favorite election photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Cruz would struggle for 30 votes. Even his Republican colleges hate the man. McCain would come out of the hospital just to vote against Cruz out of general fucking principal.
    Cruz...*Lol....this is just getting too funny

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    That is still one of my favorite election photos.
    Mine too. Trump went after his wife and his father and he still stumped for him. Doesnt this make cruz a cuck?

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump slams Sessions for ‘weak position on Hillary Clinton crimes’

President Trump in an early morning tweet on Tuesday ramped up his criticism of Jeff Sessions, saying his attorney general “has taken a VERY weak position on Hillary Clinton crimes.”

“Attorney General Jeff Sessions has taken a VERY weak position on Hillary Clinton crimes (where are E-mails & DNC server) & Intel leakers!” he tweeted.

Trump in another tweet also pointed to the acting director of the FBI, Andrew McCabe.

“Problem is that the acting head of the FBI & the person in charge of the Hillary investigation, Andrew McCabe, got $700,000 from H for wife!” he said on Twitter.

Trump has been increasing pressure on Sessions since an interview with The New York Times last week, when the president said he would have never hired his attorney general if he knew Sessions would recuse himself from the investigation into possible ties between the Trump campaign and Russia.

Trump in a tweet Monday morning also asked why the "beleaguered A.G." wasn’t investigating ties between Clinton and Russia.

The Washington Post is reporting that Trump and his advisers are floating possible replacements for Sessions including Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R). Giuliani said on Monday, however, that he’s not being considered for the position and Cruz denied he is under consideration.

Trump’s focus on Clinton seems to contradict his comments last November, when he said that he probably wouldn’t follow through on a campaign pledge to seek an investigation into Clinton.

“It’s just not something that I feel very strongly about,” he told The New York Times, saying that prosecuting his former Democratic rival would be “very, very divisive for the country.”

Trump also said at the time that he didn’t think the decision would disappoint his supporters.

“I think I will explain it that we in many ways will save our country,” he said.
    Three things.

1) Trump is apparently blaming Sessions, because Trump said he would not go after Clinton, and Sessions didn't go after Clinton.

2) Trump seems to be upset that McCabe is acting director of the FBI. Maybe he shouldn't have fired Comey, huh?

3) Because the White House says that tweets are official statements, "But her emaaaaaaaaaaaaaaails" is now an official US policy.

There is still doubt that Trump leaked info on Sessions, but there is no longer any doubt at all he wants Sessions to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    All that remains to be seen is how much of a cuck beauregard really is? Hey jeff, trump is fucking your wife maybe its time to release some juicy dirt on him.

And yea it never ends with hillary. She hasnt been and wont be locked up. That was just another lie.

His unhinged Twitter storm just further proves that he wants Sessions gone and is looking for a way out. Report by AP this morning also claiming Trump has been discussing with his advisers on how to fire him with less backlash.

Funny enough, despite Trump trying to crucify Sessions and now bringing up the emails, even right wing news are calling Trump out on this as bullshit. It's a smack in the face to anyone who supported him and will push more people away, such as Tillerson. Priebus may not be too far behind either with the GOP being infuriated by his recent actions.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2017-07-25 at 12:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Report by AP this morning also claiming Trump has been discussing with his advisers on how to fire him with less backlash.
    Borderline impossible.

There has been substantial pushback, not the least of which from Paul Ryan, that Mueller is anything other than a competent, unbiased, effective person for the job. There is very little dirt you will be able to dig up on the guy. Therefore, any firing will be taken as an act of, well, obstruction. Trump's only realistic chance is to taunt Sessions into resigning so he can claim he didn't fire him, then appoint someone willing to fire Mueller and fall on his sword immediately afterwards while Trump proclaims innocence.

THAT is a tall order in and of itself.

First, Sessions has flat-out stated he's not going anywhere, and I've been theorizing (no evidence) that, if Sessions resigns, he won't go alone, taking Tillerson with him. Trump will have to up his game to make Sessions leave, and that departure could do more harm than good.

Second, while yes Trump could try to sneak someone in while the Senate's back is turned, nobody willing to take such an obvious political bullet for Trump will ever be confirmed. We've already seen Giulliani and Cruz backing away from the hint of such an opportunity.

And thirdly, I am hardly a political expert or mastermind. If I could see such a move coming, the GOP could as well. You can spray-paint a turd with gold paint, but it'll still be turd-shaped, and they'll have zero interest in picking it up.

I just don't see how Mueller could be fired in any way, even under the best of circumstances for Trump, without any backlash. And Team Trump knows this. See also: McCabe.

- - - Updated - - -

It's becoming more and more official.

Scaramucci says it's 'probably' correct Trump wants Sessions gone

White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci on Tuesday said it is "probably" correct that President Trump wants Attorney General Jeff Sessions gone.

But Scaramucci said he didn't want to speak for the president.

During an interview Tuesday with Hugh Hewitt, Scaramucci was asked why President Trump wouldn't just fire Sessions.

Scaramucci said he thinks the president has a "certain style" and is "obviously frustrated."

"I think him and Jeff — sorry Attorney General Sessions — need to work this thing out," he said.
    Hewitt responded: "It's clear the president wants him gone, isn't it?"

Scaramucci said he has an "enormous amount of respect" for Sessions.

"But I do know the president pretty well and if there's this level of tension in the relationship — that's public, you're probably right," he said.

"But I don't want to speak for the president [EDITOR: That's literally your job, asshole] on that because he's a cabinet official and I sort of think that has to be between the president of the United States and the Cabinet official."
    - - - Updated - - -

Of course, all of this talk of Sessions could just be "fake news". I mean, it's not like FOX is coverSON OF A BITCH

Trump taking aim at Sessions for ‘weak’ position on Clinton, reportedly discussing firing

Most of this is stuff we already knew. But this is FOX's take on it:

If Trump were to fire Sessions, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein would be elevated to the top post on an acting basis. That would leave the president with another attorney general of whom he has been sharply critical in both public and private for his handling of the Russia probe, according to four White House and outside advisers who, like others interviewed, spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations.

It could also raise the specter of Trump asking Rosenstein — or whomever he appoints to fill the position — to fire Robert Mueller, the special counsel leading the investigation into Russia's meddling in the 2016 election and potential collusion with Trump's campaign.
    It also mentions that Sanders is claiming ignorance on the subject matter. Which I 100% believe. You don't tell your press secretary of the horrifyingly unethical shit you're about to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, Fox using anonymouse sources. Can you believe it.

No its not a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by SoLoR1 View Post
    I'm sure he meant "Amazing" and just misspelled or auto correction kicked in
    If he has auto-correct on, that is. Covfefe?

I swear this is the best reality show I've ever seen at this point...

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, so after Giulliani, Cruz, Limbaugh, and Graham all defended Sessions, Paul Ryan damn near dared Trump to fire him.

Okay, so after Giulliani, Cruz, Limbaugh, and Graham all defended Sessions, Paul Ryan damn near dared Trump to fire him.
    Sessions is, at the end of the day, one of the GOPs own. If Trump crossed that line, it's the GOP that are the ones keeping Trump in his job right now and he needs to remember that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    And the WH jumps in on this.

White House issues new Sessions warning as Trump tears into AG

Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, speaking with “Fox & Friends,” also neither confirmed nor denied reports that Trump has discussed the possibility of firing Sessions and did not rule it out. She said she hasn’t been part “of any conversations discussing any potential replacements,” but made clear that Trump is “frustrated and disappointed” in the attorney general for recusing himself from the Russia meddling probe.

“That frustration certainly hasn’t gone away, and I don’t think it will,” Sanders said.

As for whether Trump wants Sessions out, she said, “That’s a decision that if the president wants to make, he certainly will.”

She also addressed rumors about former federal prosecutor and ex-New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani being considered for the job. She said Giuliani is someone Trump “respects” but, "Right now, Attorney General Jeff Sessions is the attorney general."
    Not a comforting message for Sessions. Trump is frustrated and won't rule out firing him. And, debatably, doesn't have a replacement in mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so after Giulliani, Cruz, Limbaugh, and Graham all defended Sessions
    And Gingrich. Add another one.