Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is Legion the best MMO on the market?

Just asking if Legion is the best MMO on the market currently?

In other words, is there another MMO more successful than Legion?

No, because Legion is an expansion to an MMO, not an MMO itself.

In terms of raw success of WoW in general. No Jay. Not that I know of at least.

In terms of personal enjoyment for me. I would say there is but just barely. Close to being on par basically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post

Weeeeeell, Legion isn't an MMO on its own but an expansion as you know.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

WoW is the best MMO on the market for the vast majority of people.

I hear ESO, GW2 and a few others come up but I feel they are ultimately niche picks.

Deleted
    Is that a trick question? All other MMOs suck

15+ Year Old Account
    No, Runescape is clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Deldramar View Post
    I'm not sure I follow your reasoning.

World of Warcraft: Legion is the current iteration of the game. Even if you don't buy the expansion which grants access to the Legion content, you are still playing Legion.

The difference isn't even semantics. They're the same thing.
    No, World of WarCraft is the MMO. Legion is an expansion to said MMO. But the game itself is still World of WarCraft. You cannot play Legion without WoW, but you can play WoW without Legion.

Deleted
    Well WoW is the only MMO i play so i guess for me it is.
    I switched MMOs in the past but always returned to WoW so at some point i said when it comes to MMOs i just stick to this game.

Popularity isn't an indicator of quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    MMORPG yes...but other MMOS that make more money...if that's what you mean.

Yes. /10characters

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    No, because Legion is an expansion to an MMO, not an MMO itself.
    First thing to come to mind when reading thread title. Depends on how you measure it, but I would say wow is the best MMO in the market of subscription based mmos in terms of sales and the best mmo in the market altogether in terms of fun, but that is highly suggestive (I would appreciate not being quoted by people wanting to argue about how unfun wow or how much funner FFXVI or etc is, ty)

Deleted
    Nope, not by a long shot.

Next question?

Deleted
    No they are far better mmos with even bigger playerbases. WoW is only best sub based mmo.

Something being the best is completely subjective. I don't see popularity as an indicator of quality, it just shows whoever did the better marketing or who launched their game at a better time. I can't really tell which MMO I find the best because I haven't played that many.

Is there an MMO that makes more money? Probably not. But is that all that defines what makes a game the "Best"?

I keep seeing people using how much money or profit wow makes as some kind of justification for their own liking of the game. It's like they feel they have to justify why they're playing to everyone around them.

But think about that line of reasoning for a second: "Well I like WoW because their business model makes lots of money!". That's a great line if you're an investor who's buying Blizzard stock. But as a player? Who gives a shit about how much money a game is making as long as it's enough for maintenance and regular updates?

You can't answer a question like "Is WoW the best mmo", because what's 'best' is going to be different for each person. It's like asking someone what they think is the most fun thing to do. It's too subjective. Now...if you want to narrow down the question a bit and ask something more specific, then there's an actual discussion to be had. GW2 has a better game engine than WoW. FFXIV and SWTOR have better story presentation. EVE online has PVP with oceans more depth. Are these not the "best" in their respective fields? WoW is so badly outclassed in so many ways, and yet still has more population. What measure do you actually use?

Otherwise lets call this thread what it is: Jaylock shamelessly promoting a Blizzard product....again.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2017-08-05 at 09:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    No, World of WarCraft is the MMO. Legion is an expansion to said MMO. But the game itself is still World of WarCraft. You cannot play Legion without WoW, but you can play WoW without Legion.
    Why are you getting into semantics? Of course Legion is an expansion. I thought it was obvious when I say Legion, that means WoW Legion.

OT:. I can't see any other MMO coming close to Legion in terms of popularity, quality, and revenue.

Why are you getting into semantics? Of course Legion is an expansion. I thought it was obvious when I say Legion, that means WoW Legion.

OT:. I can't see any other MMO coming close to Legion in terms of popularity, quality, and revenue.
    100% agree. Revenue wise the game is doing even better than usual Jay.

Just go look at the quarterly reports.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Is there an MMO that makes more money? Probably not. But is that all that defines what makes a game the "Best"?

I keep seeing people using how much money or profit wow makes as some kind of justification for their own liking of the game. It's like they feel they have to justify why they're playing to everyone around them.

But think about that line of reasoning for a second: "Well I like WoW because their business model makes lots of money!". That's a great line if you're an investor who's buying Blizzard stock. But as a player? Who gives a shit about how much money a game is making as long as it's enough for maintenance and regular updates?

You can't answer a question like "Is WoW the best mmo", because what's 'best' is going to be different for each person. It's like asking someone what they think is the most fun thing to do. It's too subjective. Now...if you want to narrow down the question a bit and ask something more specific, then there's an actual discussion to be had. GW2 has a better game engine than WoW. FFXIV and SWTOR have better story presentation. EVE online has PVP with oceans more depth. Are these not the "best" in their respective fields? WoW is so badly outclassed in so many ways, and yet still has more population. What measure do you actually use?

Narrow down the question to something where an actual discussion can be had. Otherwise lets call this thread what it is: Jaylock shamelessly promoting a Blizzard product....again.
    Hmmmm... Promoting a Blizzard product on a FANsite of said product... Hmm seems like that might happen on a FANsite of the game.