Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    i wouldn't quit wow, but i'd definitely play the diablo mmo too.

There is only like 10 towns in all of Sanctuary and unless they pull a Other side of Sanctuary, I dont think there is enough lore and zones to pull off a full mmo.

You mean one big farmfest where you run instances over and over for completely random drops? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    No, no I would not.

I genuinely don't think it will happen (could be wrong). It's too similar to WoW.

It'd make more sense to do something completely different and keep WoW going for the fantasy niche, instead of having 2 fantasy MMO's.

Probably not. Warcraft is the more interesting universe to me but really depends on how a Diablo MMO would be executed, content, all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracerz07 View Post
    With all of the recent evidence pointing to the Diablo team creating an mmo and with WoW wrapping up a majority of its main story lines, would you jump ship to the hypothetical Diablo MMO? Personally I'd give it a shot, I've never been a huge fan of Diablo because it's an arpg but the lore and setting of the game would make for an amazingly dark world. Assuming it's running on a much better graphics engine than both WoW and D3 and takes influence from WoW while improving on its major issues, it could be a huge success.
    Eh...a LOT depends on the actual gameplay. If it's Darksouls style action combat, sign me right the hell up! But if it's more stat-driven nonsense where RNG is set up to milk you for subscription profits, then I'm out.

10+ Year Old Account
    How should I know? Need a bit more info about this potential MMO other than just it's title. It could be a mobile game for all we know.

Diablo is already an mmo in its own way its an aarpg, and you can't really quit an mmo for another one, you will always return back its just that sometimes you play something else. Blizzard's games are connected anyway you get rewards by playing all their games so thats a good thing.

I'd quit WoW for an MMO that's better in those areas I personally enjoy. Whether that's Diablo-based or based on StarCraft or Hearthstone or friggin' My Little Pony is not too relevant to that in and of itself. Of course, given Blizz's expertise chances are they'll be the one to make the next MMO I'm willing to play, simply because they know how to make good MMOs.

My suspicion, though, is that the MMORPG genre in its current form is no longer a sustainable model for big success games. I'm convinced that the next big thing will be an MMO/AARPG hybrid of sorts, which is where Diablo would be a prime candidate.

damn yes, i just want to play a diablo lore in a mmorpg universe since years

Probably not. I would almost definitely do it for a Starcraft mmo though. Imagine a 3-way faction war. Being able to play all those different kinds of terran or protoss or zerg units. So much potential there.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I mean they can keep retconning and "re-explaining" events over and over and over...but for people like me who've been following Warcraft for over 20 years, they sort of lost me with the complete re-telling of the Titan story and the introduction of Void Lords. I could have *maybe* bought the Illidan return, not that I would have liked it because I was there when he was the "big bad" of WoW for a brief period of time. But I just can't take the story seriously anymore, they're really dragging the plot out too much and they made us as players so powerful that the only thing left for us to fight are gods of the universe...and now that we're surpassing those, we're moving on to c'thullian gods of another universe/reality/dimension. It's just so ridiculous at this point. What's it going to be next? Well actually Arthas was never killed his soul was trapped in the ice of the Frozen Throne and secretly took over Bolvar's mind and now Ner'zhul Arthas and Bolvar are one making them the LICH LORD which is even more powerful than the Void Lords and will consume not only Azeroth but all dimensions as we know it!

Man I miss the days of classic WoW when we were just meandering adventurers, soldiers in an army exploring a vast uncharted land.
    Retcon. You keep using that word but I don't think it means what you think it means. A retcon means to state something, and then change it. Changing the eredar from being the demons who corrupted Sargeras to being people corrupted by him and turned into demons is a retcon. Us not knowing that Illidan had a master plan to fight the Legion and hadn't snapped after losing to Arthas like the evidence WE PLAYERS had, is not a retcon.

Let's take the Harry Potter books for instance, so those are a widely known topic. Severus Snape. Asshole, did a lot of evil things, Death Eater, killed Albus Dumbledore. Do you consider it a retcon that we later learned that true he was an asshole, but he was a defected Death Eater who killed Dumbledore on orders? Cause that's pretty much literally the same thing. We formed our ideas about Illidan based upon what we read and knew. Then we found out we didn't have the entire picture. That's not a retcon. That's the evolution of the story.

As for the classic comment. Did you forget we had black dragons, Elemental Lords, blood loa gods, Old Gods, and superpower liches then?
    Last edited by cparle87; 2017-07-24 at 06:15 AM.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

I would quit wow for any other mmo with pretty much the same game play. Wow is still very enjoyable, but everything feels old, because we've gone through all the content multiple times with alts etc.

The raids are very nice, but I would like to be some very different raids in the future, not just some trash mobs and then a boss that you kill. Maybe some kind of difficult gauntlet.

I would play both like i do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    The buildup to those battles was great and made sense, they were powerful gods in Azeroth but never truly advertised as the most powerful beings in the universe. We knew there was a vast universe, and that Azeroth itself was just one of many planets, and that our big bads may not have been as powerful as other big bads on other planets, hence the journey through Outland eventually being a part of player progression. But we've moved so far from that, to the point where we are literally on the same power level as the makers of the universe and now we're moving onto fighting foes from an entirely different universe and supposedly incomprehensible reality. It's just...too much of a saturday morning cartoon at this point. They're so stretched for ideas, and you can't really blame them. I'd say they hit their sweet spot in power-level gauging with Cataclysm and how we actually had to enlist the aid of the aspects and Thrall to take out Deathwing. Now though...our characters are so powerful and have such amazing weaponry that Deathwing is an insect compared to what we face on Argus.

And say what you want about "retconning," I used to read the roleplaying books and novels, and the titans were painted in a *completely* different light. It used to be Sargeras went mad from all of the destruction he saw on other worlds and how intelligent life always gravitated toward war, he created the Burning Legion to "reset" the universe. Now it's been "explained" (lol) that he actually went mad from seeing these Void Lords that we haven't heard anything about until recently.

To each their own. I'm glad you like it. I'm out though at this point, the lore is a joke to me now and that's okay. I have FFXIV to play for story. I'll keep playing WoW once in a while for the great gameplay.
    The RPG books have NEVER been canon. They're like what the Star Wars EU was before Disney bought it. Read it, enjoy it, but be well aware that it's not canon and that if something in it collides with the movies, the movies win.

Secondly we are nowhere near the power of the Titans. Titans could smash a planet like we could a watermelon. Stomp and it's gone.

I wouldn't say Deathwing is an insect compared to the stuff on Argus. Would he be able to beat bosses in the new raid without using his powers over earth to split the land they were standing on in deus ex machina? Maybe not.

Ah, one more thing I just thought of. If you want to see completely totally and insane power creep you should check out Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It starts with two guys stealing a pair of robots a bit bigger than a forklift and ends with a giant super-robot throwing galaxies as projectiles and firing laser barrages that hit every point in the space time continuum. The OVA goes even nutsier than that. Take a gander at that before you think we players, who can't even destroy one planet, are nuts.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

depends if its gonna be a real mmo or another modern "mmo" that wows become

depends entirely on how good it looks. But most likely yes i whould play it, just as i have many otgher mmos. Some lasted longer, some shorter, some i came back to for patches/expansions, some i never touched again. But i have yet to find a single mmo-game that i regret playing, to me they are all enjoyable to some degree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    D3 was terrible for a long time yes but its in a decent state now, and D2 has a lot of nostalgia to it, tried playing it the other day and really can't get into it anymore.
    Of course there is nostalgia but where Diablo II was great for it's time, Diablo III just wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    Blizzard will never create another MMO for as long as WoW remains. why would they create an MMO that compete with WoW?
    Two reasons: some will play both, some will play one but not the other.

Both give money. The absolute best way to fully control a market is if you hold more of the competition. At the moment you play Blizzard's WoW, or you play Final Fantasy, or you play Elder Scrolls Online, or you play SWToR, or etc.

Diablo has a fanbase which would bring some of those none WoW playing people to a Blizzard owned game, not everyone who played Diablo likes WoW's style and equally some like both. Blizzard might not double their MMO control, but they would certainly steal some from the opposition.

I don't currently play WoW because I don't really have the time or passion to put too much into a game these days, but I'd certainly give a Diablo MMO a look in. There is plenty of lore that exists and can be built; if SWToR can build ancient lore there is no reason that Diablo couldn't build more lore around the Sin War or upon the arrival of the Nephalem.

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Diablo universe isn't as expansive so not sure how they would do it.
    Maps and lore can easily be expanded, we don't know everything about all the cultures in the various parts of Sanctuary or the ancient histories about Heaven and Hell. All three planes can have their lore built up, just as has happened with WoW's universe.

We had three games and some books before WoW came along with more books being written after WoW hit. We currently have three Diablo games and authors writing books, the MMO is the only thing missing which will kick off even more lore writing.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Deleted
    After 13 years, I would at least be open to it and give it a try.