Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    That's not what I'm saying at all though. Keeping your tenure as a research professor at a university means you have publication requirements. You have to get things published in a peer review journal. Of course, I suppose they could band together to help each other keep their jobs but that can potentially fuck their reputation so it doesn't happen.

Of course, this can often lead to very trivial things being published that aren't really that important and then non-science people exaggerating those publications and making absurd claims based on them but that's a separate issue.
    If you read that link you'll see you've described one of the core pathologies of the current scientific enterprise. The incentives for scientists are perverse.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    It was kind of a shit ton to read and I don't really have time now.
    Well, ok, but the essay savages the point you're try to make. Maybe you should stop making it until you've read the argument against it.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"