Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Innocent man who was released after 30 years of death row won't get compensated

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...up-executions/

I thought you'd at least get a shitton of cash - not that any amount would make up for it - after the state wants to murder you and takes away 30 years of your life.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Innocent"

He wasn't found innocent, the Supreme Court overturned his conviction because his defense attorney didn't give him an adequate defense. They basically declared a belated mistrial.

I'm sure he has some kind of legal route he could take. Other than applying through the committee, if it came down to it. I feel like this happened with the Netflix guy, the state didn't want to pay recompense, so he prepared to sue and they decided to settle and he conveniently went back to jail again.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    "Innocent"

He wasn't found innocent, the Supreme Court overturned his conviction because his defense attorney didn't give him an adequate defense. They basically declared a belated mistrial.
    It's sad when all you have to do to get away with murder is hire a shitty attorney.

Deleted
    "Innocent"

And then they couldn't make the evidence 'work' again because it didn't add up.

Seems like a classic case of injustice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    And then they couldn't make the evidence 'work' again because it didn't add up.

Seems like a classic case of injustice.
    That may very well be the case, that doesn't change the fact that he was released on a technicality... He wasn't released because his innocence was proven.

He will likely be able to sue, and will be compensated.

Deleted
    That may very well be the case, that doesn't change the fact that he was released on a technicality... He wasn't released because his innocence was proven.
    And he wasn't proven guilty based on any evidence beyond a stitch up which cost him 30 years and almost murdered by the state.

murdered
    You use that word as if you know what it means.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    You use that word as if you know what it means.
    pendantic on a legal term. Would you have prefered slaughtered? Executed? dispatched or slain?

Innocent until proven guilty.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    "Innocent"

Yeah, I think you and I didn't read the same article. He's innocent because he didn't do it. And now AL wants to speed up the execution of people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    It's sad when all you have to do to get away with murder is hire a shitty attorney.
    Or even worse when you're convicted of a cirme you didn't commit. And then spent 30 years in solitary. And then not only do the people who wronged you not pay for their mistake, they pass legislation in which you would have been executed before the evidence that set you free had been examined.

Awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

And he wasn't proven guilty based on any evidence beyond a stitch up which cost him 30 years and almost murdered by the state.
    Exactly. Are people just guessing as to what the article says without reading it?

pendantic on a legal term. Would you have prefered slaughtered? Executed? dispatched or slain?
    Removed from circulation?

Also: When can the state expect restitution payments for 30 years of room, board, entertainment, and education? Oh, and health care!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    He will likely be able to sue, and will be compensated.
    It sure doesn't seem like it, at least according to the article.

Deleted
    "Innocent"

Really? You are that much of a racist cunt you are carrying this on one? Choose your battles mate. An acquittal is an acquitall.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-08-04 at 06:04 PM. Reason: infracted

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't prove innocence in America.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Removed from circulation?

Also: When can the state expect restitution payments for 30 years of room, board, entertainment, and education? Oh, and health care!
    Wow, prison seems like such a wonderful place! You should go there!

I assume you think slaves were happy and not mistreated because they got food and lodgings?

It's pretty unamerican to not value personal autonomy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    You don't prove innocence in America.
    You do if you were already convicted of a crime and want it overturned. Unless, like in this case, it is overturned due to a legal technicality.

7+ Year Old Account
    You do if you were already convicted of a crime and want it overturned. Unless, like in this case, it is overturned due to a legal technicality.
    Subsequent tests of the only physical evidence in the case raised serious doubts about whether the weapon in Hinton’s home had fired those bullets — and it even called into question whether the bullets were all fired from the same gun.
    Bad and false evidence is "a legal technicality" ?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Or even worse when you're convicted of a cirme you didn't commit.
    Except he wasn't released for that reason, but rather because of a procedural vice, and because presumption of innocence prevails when that happens.