Need help with Picking a monitor

Hi everyone and first I would like to say thank you for taking your time to help me make this decision. Im looking for a new monitor i built a new pc in December here are my specs
    I7 7600k

evga GTX 1070 FTW3.0

8 gigs 2400 ripjaw ram i can get 16gigs but is there really a point?

samsung 256 gig ssd

asus z170 pro gaming mobo

650 watt psu gold cert

My problem is ive been using a 60 hz crappy 21 inch dell monitor from like 2003 with it til now lol. Now ive got some spare income to buy a new monitor
    the two monitors I have in mind are the Asus rog swift pg258q and the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q. Im fine with either price. What i want to know is which one would benefit me more. I mainly play wow hots overwatch csgo diablo3. the 240 htz and small size of the pg258q is so tempting but i never played at anything over 60 htz yet. the benefit i see from the pg279q is the resolution and colors being ips. both come with g sync so i like that. id prefer performance if its really going to help me more then visuals i just dont know if my hardware will limit me and if it will then myabe the pg279q ips would be better then.

can someone chime in and let me know if my 1070 can handle either monitor i play wow more then any of the other titles but my bro loves cs go and i share my pc with him cause hes my bro and i work alot lol. thank you again for any help or insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Starks View Post
    Hi everyone and first I would like to say thank you for taking your time to help me make this decision. Im looking for a new monitor i built a new pc in December here are my specs

Snipperynunu~

The first thing I'll say is that wow is and should be generally be agreed upon to bottleneck in a busy situation because of the CPU. I don't know how high your fps would go as I have no experience with it personally, so you might want to hear from other people. You can probably get high frames if you turn shadows/ground clutter down but once you have a ton of things around you/fighting it might tank and perhaps out of g-sync range.

Is your current monitor 1080p or 720p?

If 1080p, your dpi is at 104.9. If 720p, 69.93
    A new monitor will bring you to 89.91dpi (pg258q) or 108.79dpi (pg279q)

If you've ever cranked up the AA on your games and still seen "jaggies" in the form of physical pixel density (and been bothered by this) then the 1080p monitor might not be the one for you. It also depends on how far away you sit from your monitor.
    Also, I don't hear a lot of talk about 240hz, although I do know there is a noticeable difference from 60hz to ~120+ (no idea about ~120+ to 240). Keep in mind that you don't have to hit the maximum refresh because you have g-sync, and all games might not be able to hit 165/240 anyways (wow is CPU bound in busy situations, as an example).

SO hopefully some other people pitch in about 240hz. My opinion is that a 1070 is overkill for 1080p(which is why it goes to 240hz), but 240hz is also overkill unless you're a professional gamer getting paid or something (I also don't know how much better 120/144/165 to 240 is). I would gladly slash my fps from 240 to 165/140 for a 21% increase in pixel density(I view it as a hard cap for AA). The pg279q is a good medium of a smooth and clear display. I know I talk about dpi a lot and you said you don't care about visuals that much, but I think you get great performance at the 165hz mark and can then focus on visuals. We're talking milliseconds anyway, and you have latency from your mouse, keyboard, the internet, CPU, GPU, and brain all combined.

If @Fascinate were here, he would probably be linking the DELL s2417dg (24" 1440p 160hz G-sync ~400$) or s2717dg (27" 1440p 160hz G-sync ~600$), primarily asking if you really need the increased view angles provided by an IPS panel. Monitor colors can, from what I hear, also be calibrated and bring you great colors, which might also not matter unless you need color accuracy for your photo/video editing career or something(they may be more vibrant than accurate on an IPS anyway). This is just another viewpoint (I own an IPS monitor btw). I personally want the S2417DG to be my next monitor ( 24" @1440p for ~122dpi)

So make a list of what you find most important in a monitor! It's your money and you can put them in whatever order you want. You also don't have a be a professional gamer or editor to want 240hz ips either
    Physical size (24", 27")?
    Screen real estate (1080p, 1440p)?
    Pixel density (~89, ~108)?
    Refresh rate (165, 240)?
    G-Sync?
    View angles?
    Color gamut?
    Response time (1ms, 2, 4, 5)?

Anybody feel free to come in here and correct the shit I just spewed out <3

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    The first thing I'll say is that wow is and should be generally be agreed upon to bottleneck in a busy situation because of the CPU. I don't know how high your fps would go as I have no experience with it personally, so you might want to hear from other people. You can probably get high frames if you turn shadows/ground clutter down but once you have a ton of things around you/fighting it might tank and perhaps out of g-sync range.

Is your current monitor 1080p or 720p?

If 1080p, your dpi is at 104.9. If 720p, 69.93
    A new monitor will bring you to 89.91dpi (pg258q) or 108.79dpi (pg279q)

If you've ever cranked up the AA on your games and still seen "jaggies" in the form of physical pixel density (and been bothered by this) then the 1080p monitor might not be the one for you. It also depends on how far away you sit from your monitor.
    Also, I don't hear a lot of talk about 240hz, although I do know there is a noticeable difference from 60hz to ~120+ (no idea about ~120+ to 240). Keep in mind that you don't have to hit the maximum refresh because you have g-sync, and all games might not be able to hit 165/240 anyways (wow is CPU bound in busy situations, as an example).

SO hopefully some other people pitch in about 240hz. My opinion is that a 1070 is overkill for 1080p(which is why it goes to 240hz), but 240hz is also overkill unless you're a professional gamer getting paid or something (I also don't know how much better 120/144/165 to 240 is). I would gladly slash my fps from 240 to 165/140 for a 21% increase in pixel density(I view it as a hard cap for AA). The pg279q is a good medium of a smooth and clear display. I know I talk about dpi a lot and you said you don't care about visuals that much, but I think you get great performance at the 165hz mark and can then focus on visuals. We're talking milliseconds anyway, and you have latency from your mouse, keyboard, the internet, CPU, GPU, and brain all combined.

If @Fascinate were here, he would probably be linking the DELL s2417dg (24" 1440p 160hz G-sync ~400$) or s2717dg (27" 1440p 160hz G-sync ~600$), primarily asking if you really need the increased view angles provided by an IPS panel. Monitor colors can, from what I hear, also be calibrated and bring you great colors, which might also not matter unless you need color accuracy for your photo/video editing career or something(they may be more vibrant than accurate on an IPS anyway). This is just another viewpoint (I own an IPS monitor btw). I personally want the S2417DG to be my next monitor ( 24" @1440p for ~122dpi)

So make a list of what you find most important in a monitor! It's your money and you can put them in whatever order you want. You also don't have a be a professional gamer or editor to want 240hz ips either
    Physical size (24", 27")?
    Screen real estate (1080p, 1440p)?
    Pixel density (~89, ~108)?
    Refresh rate (165, 240)?
    G-Sync?
    View angles?
    Color gamut?
    Response time (1ms, 2, 4, 5)?

Anybody feel free to come in here and correct the shit I just spewed out <3
    Thanks for the reply my monitor now is a dell 21.5 inch with a resolution of something like 1600x900 max not exact because I'm at work can't remember but it's close to that I believe. So I never played on a 1080 p or higher. I know either monitor will blow my mind. I just need to know which one I should shoot for. Leaning toward the tn for 240 cause I guess going from 60 hz to 240hz would be a whole new world of good

Np!

The pg258q is bleeding edge performance(refresh rate) and average quality(resolution). If you were to be limited, it would most likely be by your CPU first.

The pg279q is enthusiast performance(refresh rate) and enthusiast quality(resolution). If you were to be limited, it would most likely be by your GPU first.

That's how I would simplify the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    Np!

The pg258q is bleeding edge performance(refresh rate) and average quality(resolution). If you were to be limited, it would most likely be by your CPU first.

The pg279q is enthusiast performance(refresh rate) and enthusiast quality(resolution). If you were to be limited, it would most likely be by your GPU first.

That's how I would simplify the whole thing.
    That puts a lot into perspective for me thanks. one last question my system is air cooled i have a 212 evo for the cpu and a noctua 240 mm to push the hot air out the back and two fractal 240 fans pulling air in from the front. with this new monitor should i updrage to water cooling would my cpu and gpu generate alot more heat now with either of these monitors?

If you want to find that out today before you buy anything, you could

A) Render your games in 1920x1080 and limit your framerate to 240

B) Render your games in 2560x1440 and limit your framerate to 165

Check the temperatures and see if you're comfortable with them.