View Poll Results: So WHAT works on you?

Voters
58. This poll is closed
  • Slow and steady approach anywhere.

16 27.59%
  • Fast and Aggressive anywhere

9 15.52%
  • The right time the right place, Charm

21 36.21%
  • Anywhere but only blunt straight to the point.

12 20.69%
Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

(Are you single would you go on a date with me?) What works on you?

(Are you single would you go on a date with me?)

OK Not really but the question is what this is all about, people talk about romance and picking people up, so the question is WHAT works on you?

Seriously is there a terrible place to ask YOU out?

Is there a good place to ask you out, what has worked before?

What is a bad way to approach you, and do you have any stories about any hits or misses?

Maybe if people say what works on them might help other people. Man or Woman doesn't matter.

If not romance how about making friends?
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-07-30 at 04:46 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't even look at me when I'm outside. I am fair game in online games and at a convention though.

Think about what type of girls would respond to each approach and what you're looking for. Being aggressive is generally no bueno. Being efficient and direct is a good choice if you're trying to maximize your chances, this means asking for a number/date quickly and moving on if interactions devolve into endless small talk via text and no actual follow through on plans to meet up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Think about what type of girls would respond to each approach and what you're looking for. Being aggressive is generally no bueno. Being efficient and direct is a good choice if you're trying to maximize your chances, this means asking for a number/date quickly and moving on if interactions devolve into endless small talk via text and no actual follow through on plans to meet up.

Pretty sound logic I AM not looking or asking. Just find it interesting what people say works on them men or women.

Deleted
    Swipe right.

10+ Year Old Account
    All someone has to do is fucking talk to me and I'll be swept off my goddamn feet. (Only with men though :P)

My general pickup line is "Hi, I'm *******"... but tbf that IS at a bar/club.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alduron View Post
    My general pickup line is "Hi, I'm *******"... but tbf that IS at a bar/club.
    What about the grocery store?

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Eye contact and a smile: much lower odds but not awkward for either party.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Don't even look at me when I'm outside. I am fair game in online games and at a convention though.
    Like don't even look in your general direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alduron View Post
    Eye contact and a smile: much lower odds but not awkward for either party.
    Yeah and and you get a look at what they eat. Good warning signs lol.

Like don't even look in your general direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah and and you get a look at what they eat. Good warning signs lol.
    As long as they eat meat I'm happy... but I'm not exactly looking for a LTR.

Don't just walk up to someone and say "Hi I'm X" in a grocery store, that would be weird. Segue into it with some small talk, like about what they have in their cart or picking out ripe fruit or how you're going to be bad and buy that delicious-looking slice of chocolate cake or something similar.

Get a vibe for whether they're vegan or whatever (maybe get a quick glance at their cart) before you start talking about the wonders of the frozen meat aisle.

Just ask, honestly not enough woman ask men they are interested in out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm usually the one to make the first move if I see someone smile when I go out for a drink now and then or at the gym. Gay lads here always seem to be waiting to get hit on so I've rarely been approached,but when I've had a guy come talk to me a smile and a flirtatious sense of humor are instant winners in my book.

A terrible way I have been approached before was at a party and in the first few opening lines this guy had cracked a joke about deporting me, kept calling me "slumdog millionaire", and kept mentioning how I don't look what I sound like due to my accent. Now I have a dark sense of humor and can appreciate even terrorist jokes when I have built up a rapport with someone, but not when I have just met them. He was nice enough to apologize later and I chalked it up to alcohol but yeah that wasn't going to go anywhere.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Don't just walk up to someone and say "Hi I'm X" in a grocery store, that would be weird. Segue into it with some small talk, like about what they have in their cart or picking out ripe fruit or how you're going to be bad and buy that delicious-looking slice of chocolate cake or something similar.

Get a vibe for whether they're vegan or whatever (maybe get a quick glance at their cart) before you start talking about the wonders of the frozen meat aisle.
    Celista nice break down. I was just musing great info

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Just ask, honestly not enough woman ask men they are interested in out.

Yep gotta admit I don't get asked and do the asking. Can't remember last time I seen it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    I'm usually the one to make the first move if I see someone smile when I go out for a drink now and then or at the gym. Gay lads here always seem to be waiting to get hit on so I've rarely been approached,but when I've had a guy come talk to me a smile and a flirtatious sense of humor are instant winners in my book.

A terrible way I have been approached before was at a party and in the first few opening lines this guy had cracked a joke about deporting me, kept calling me "slumdog millionaire", and kept mentioning how I don't look what I sound like due to my accent. Now I have a dark sense of humor and can appreciate even terrorist jokes when I have built up a rapport with someone, but not when I have just met them. He was nice enough to apologize later and I chalked it up to alcohol but yeah that wasn't going to go anywhere.
    Ok what's your code if you let them down. Worst pick up routine?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok what's your code if you let them down. Worst pick up routine?
    Usually just tell them that I apologize but unfortunately I can only offer them my friendship.I've never been hurtful in rejecting someone and for the most part people take it well. Both dudes and chicks can be exceptionally cruel when rejecting someone and that to me isn't a sign of a decent individual.

Worst pick up routine is probably just being overly forceful or handsy when they think I'm drunk, or just being super persistent even when I've been polite and said no.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this thread has been up for 2 hours and it's abundantly clear that a majority of our angry male posters don't know how to interact with women, but they sure as hell know how to blame them for everything. Something to remember the next time a divorce thread pops up...

On topic Celista pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you're trying to meet someone in any location at least pay attention to what that person is doing before attempting to interact with them. If in a grocery store pay attention to what they're buying...in a bar what they're drinking...or even online pay attention to what they consider important and address those things first.

As a personal anecdote my wife initiated contact with me on an online dating site because I put down "Let's have a water balloon fight in the house" as a suggestion for a First Date. It was original..and it got her attention enough to send me a message about who cleans up the water afterwards.

What works on me? The correct uses of to, too, and two -- your and you're -- they're, their, and there -- through and threw -- and finally you have at least a working knowledge of the English language. Nothing is more irritating to me than sentences that start out with "U gone..." or "When he/she say..."
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

I don't date a lot but usually it's someone I've met at work, school, church or online so I know them a bit. I grew up in a small town were I knew everyone and they knew me and that made dating easier, girls would even drop hints to my sister or mom and my sister would say, "X talked about you the other day, you should talk to her."

Cold sales where you don't know the person, not even their name are difficult but if you're on the bus and you see someone who's in your league, they're a 5 and you're a 5 and you're the same age and she's not wearing a ring why not? On a cold sale you need to start a conversation, humor is a plus and at least find out their first name, then you can ask for their number. Maybe I've been successful at this 2 or 3 times.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Usually just tell them that I apologize but unfortunately I can only offer them my friendship.I've never been hurtful in rejecting someone and for the most part people take it well. Both dudes and chicks can be exceptionally cruel when rejecting someone and that to me isn't a sign of a decent individual.

Worst pick up routine is probably just being overly forceful or handsy when they think I'm drunk, or just being super persistent even when I've been polite and said no.

That is cool. Never heard anyone say they like to destroy some asking them out. But it's also great you're up front. I known friends that will say they have someone out of guilt. But on the flip side of that I've had friends feel destroyed by simply hearing they weren't single.

Some get anxious not knowing why or being self conscious. The worst was a female friend who said yes to guy out if feeling guilty. Just weird.

It's better to be up front I like your style.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I don't date a lot but usually it's someone I've met at work, school, church or online so I know them a bit. I grew up in a small town were I knew everyone and they knew me and that made dating easier, girls would even drop hints to my sister or mom and my sister would say, "X talked about you the other day, you should talk to her."

Cold sales where you don't know the person, not even their name are difficult but if you're on the bus and you see someone who's in your league, they're a 5 and you're a 5 and you're the same age and she's not wearing a ring why not? On a cold sale you need to start a conversation, humor is a plus and at least find out their first name, then you can ask for their number. Maybe I've been successful at this 2 or 3 times.
    Awesome information except the co worker. Thing fuck that good way to make the job hell if it goes bad.

2 to 3 times out of x ?
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-07-30 at 07:16 AM.

I wouldn't know. I'm a guy. A normal guy, not some pretty boy or rich kind of guy that shows it off. I don't get asked out, I have been the one to do the asking for the past 15 years. I can only guess that anything that comes off as genuine interest would be a good start.