Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The idea is that 98% of the population won't be 'going to the gas station' anymore, ever. The time doesn't matter. 30 minutes, 2 hours, 5 hours (not 40, because thats incorrect, and would actually be a deal breaker)

You leave home every day with a full battery. There is no '30 minute stop' anywhere because you get home and its full again by the time you leave. Is it not great for road trips? Sure, but that few and far between. It's not like people are travelling cross country on a weekly basis, and for those that do, there are plenty of other options to account for that. By the time the roads are all-electric that problem will be resolved anyway.
    I think it was already mentioned in the thread, but if the idea is that 98% of the population won't be going to the gas station amyore (or in this case, a charger), what's the plan for those who don't have a garage because they live in an appartment? Cables hanging out of their windows over night?

Personally I don't give a damn about luxury extras. I don't care how it looks. The only thing I worry about is how I reliably charge the thing. And if I can't charge it myself (be it in 1 or 8 hours, doesn't matter) I would have to rely on charging stations, just like everyone else in my position. And then we are back to the point I made in my first post - charging stations won't be practical unless they are really freaking fast. Even 30 minutes would be too long if there are people waiting in line.
    Maybe I missed Tesla's solution to that, if that's so I'm sorry.

Either way, a "home run" would be, in my book, something that takes care of the problem I describe above. Maybe batteries/moduls that you can charge in advance. Or someone else charges them efficiently and you just pick them up, while returning your depleted modules. But I guess the tech isn't there yet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    With how many mods? Volt is like 150hp.
    Stock... I should clarify it isn't a full quarter mile. More like a standard street block. Smoke any takers...

Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    You can charge your tesla from home. They're still useless for road trips however (long distance travel).
    That really depends on where you're going. Tesla has supercharger stations all over the place in the US, so there aren't that many places that you couldn't make a road trip to, and once they finish their roll out of supercharger stations, you should be able to go just anywhere.

England is a pretty small country, and it turns out that the furthest distance from the sea that you can get is 84 miles, which means at most you might take a 168 mile road trip...ANY Tesla will do that on a single charge, unless you're traveling to mainland Europe or something.

Oh no Global warming...Paris accords..

Meanwhile everyone is going to be driving automated Tesla's in 20 years and vertical farming will be the new standard. Solar and wind will be everywhere and on every parking garage, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will do even better against an M4 and most Porsche's. That Mustang is a ten second car running nos etc. Tesla is bone stock.
    What does this prove exactly? Nobody is denying Tesla's amazing acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post
    I think it was already mentioned in the thread, but if the idea is that 98% of the population won't be going to the gas station amyore (or in this case, a charger), what's the plan for those who don't have a garage because they live in an appartment? Cables hanging out of their windows over night?

Personally I don't give a damn about luxury extras. I don't care how it looks. The only thing I worry about is how I reliably charge the thing. And if I can't charge it myself (be it in 1 or 8 hours, doesn't matter) I would have to rely on charging stations, just like everyone else in my position. And then we are back to the point I made in my first post - charging stations won't be practical unless they are really freaking fast. Even 30 minutes would be too long if there are people waiting in line.
    Maybe I missed Tesla's solution to that, if that's so I'm sorry.

Either way, a "home run" would be, in my book, something that takes care of the problem I describe above. Maybe batteries/moduls that you can charge in advance. Or someone else charges them efficiently and you just pick them up, while returning your depleted modules. But I guess the tech isn't there yet
    There are charging stations everywhere now in metro areas. Musk plans to double that within a year.

Apartment complexes having charging stations isn't farfetched. Look at how widesprea wifi has become for public access and use.

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    Stock... I should clarify it isn't a full quarter mile. More like a standard street block. Smoke any takers...
    You mean an 1/8 mile? Tesla still beats it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The Betamax comparison is inept.
    It's spot-on. Your own attempts at points demonstrate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Did you even read what I typed? Re-read it and tell me I can charge it from home. Infact, I'll give you a pic of where I stay, I live in the blue circle area, then tell me I can charge it from home. Go on, explain how the hell I am meant to charge an electric car from my home in a safe way?

Well in his defense the cars are not being aimed at peasants to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Not overpriced Tesla's, that's for sure.

how do you recharge it if you run out of charge, and aren't near a station?

Quote Originally Posted by Othraerir View Post
    Tow truck.

15+ Year Old Account
    How do you refuel if you run out of gas and aren't near a station?

Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    How do you refuel if you run out of gas and aren't near a station?
    You can walk to a gas station if you have a gas can or buy one there. Or have someone bring you gas in the same manner.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can walk to a gas station if you have a gas can or buy one there. Or have someone bring you gas in the same manner.
    And why did you run out of fuel in the first place? Cuz you're an idiot(I've done it) who wasn't paying attention. Same goes for electric.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    In the future charging post will be standard as block heater are today in some northern parking lots.

i guess they will sell portable charge stations if you run out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    And why did you run out of fuel in the first place? Cuz you're an idiot(I've done it) who wasn't paying attention. Same goes for electric.
    I mean that's not what you asked. The methods I provided aren't possible for an electric car.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Which is about the ONLY thing they have in common. Really, what a silly thing to say. Ever driven those little plastic toys?
    Yeah. I am sure the Testla 3 will not have that driving feeling. Instead we get a auto pilot thats not really working yet.

If there ever should be a Tesla 3 available at my local car dealer, i will buy one. Seems up to now it is limited to a year long waiting queue where i wonder Tesla ever will be able to get it done.

i guess they will sell portable charge stations if you run out.
    For the bigger Tesla there already exist portable Stations.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-08-01 at 06:59 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Electric vehicles will be most useful in cities. Which is also the last place you'll see them in mass because of the shortcoming of how you charge the vehicle.

Tesla is doing well, but let's not forget they are one manufacturer in a sea of car makers who moved comical amounts of vehicles more than Tesla. There is a very long road before electric will be ready for the prime time.
    A lot of the major manufactures already have plans to move away from combustion engines completely. There will be a massive increase in R&D for hybrid/electrics in the next 5-10 years