View Poll Results: What is your definition of evil?

Voters
103. This poll is closed
  • Evil is to be cruel and cause pain.

43 41.75%
  • Evil is to destroy everything and absent of all creation.

9 8.74%
  • Evil is the absents of Choice.

7 6.80%
  • Evil is Something else.

44 42.72%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynxium View Post
    Causing harm to others, whether it's intentional is really irrelevant, sometimes, people don't even aware to their actions.
    Some don't even have the cognitive ability. If a person is born without the ability to even register emotion in any way shape or form, their morality is going to be shaped very different.

They don't have the ability to consciously pick and choose who and what they value as it relates to their feelings, they simply don't have the ability to feel them at all to anyone.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    What she did is rooted in ignorance, not malice.
    You need to ask yourself why this person would go out of their way to cut body parts off a live animal like that, and why they'd record it for their Instagram account. Maybe then you'll come to the realisation that what you here is incredibly stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Down on the Mexican border in the late 1800s a husband and wife were returning from a shopping trip to town, the wife was driving the wagon with two little boys like 3 and 5 years of age, the husband was riding a horse.

They were ambushed by Apaches the wife shot in the chest, the husband ran off and the Apaches kidnapped the two boys. Children of that age the Apaches would often raise.

The husband got back to town and a posse was made, it's not like the movies this posse was like 30 heavily armed men. They hired some Piute Indians to track down the Apache, the Piutes hating the Apache.

The Apache could see the posse bearing down on them. When the posse found the two boys they found them buried upside down with their legs sticking out of the ground. The Apache buried them this way so the father could see how hard the boys kicked the ground as they died.
    I guess the Indian genocide was justified after all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    To me, it isn't about intent to cause harm, at all.

If you put your own self-interest ahead of the welfare of others, that's "evil" to me. Doesn't matter if you say you're only concerned about your well-being and don't care about the harm; that you're willing to allow it to occur is all that matters.
    By that definition everyone who owns more than the bare minimum required to stay alive is evil. I mean there are starving children somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    You got it, but my point is counter to yours in bold, lack of concern for others I don't agree is evil.

I would say it is ignorant. It could also stupid (meaning knowing it's wrong choosing otherwise) which in itself serves evil, not sure I would say that makes the person evil. Just wrong.
    Yes it's evil. Lack of concerns for others means you don't consider them as relevant, and it's the very basis of evil - harming other for one's profit is exactly that, treating others as irrelevant and oneself as the sole valuable person.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Lynxium View Post
    Causing harm to others, whether it's intentional is really irrelevant, sometimes, people don't even aware to their actions.
    Saying intention is irrelevant when it comes to morality is completely nonsensical. Seems that you don't even understand what IS morality.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say pretty much the some of the greatest examples of evil would be Adolf Hitler, or Joseph Stalin, who, I don't think seemed like from the beginning they were evil, but I don't think it ultimately mattered to either of them about their people or who else had to die.

In the case of Hitler he had ever opportunity to surrender, and save his people he claimed to love, I mean he was no Brave heart, he didn't rise or fall for his people or any other. He knew he would send the world in flames.

Killing himself, and cursing the fact he didn't send the world with him especially his own people.

A real leader would have offered a knee or even his own head, to save the those he loved so much, that to me is Evil, even if he was just a man. Watching the entire world burn, to end it all just to try to control and take choice away from others then realizing it, and continuing anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Yes it's evil. Lack of concerns for others means you don't consider them as relevant, and it's the very basis of evil - harming other for one's profit is exactly that, treating others as irrelevant and oneself as the sole valuable person.
    What you describe is choice. Without the understanding of what is behind that choice. Everyone rationalizes their devaluing of others. Harming someone for profit is just a means to an end, insanity propagated on the belief, that the actions that lead to the most profits instead of directly to their own destruction along with everyone else. It's also why the most intelligent in the world right now are not the richest. Who oddly enough create the most value.

Treating others and everything as irrelevant unless they hold a subject value seems to be humanity itself. It's more over reason why humanity is failing, not because of a lack of intelligence, but a lack of understanding of cost far beyond borders or monetary.

If there is one thing that makes the world worse it stupidity, which serves Evil. Because it's a choice more powerful than anything else.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-08-01 at 11:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not liking loli. Not serious

What you describe is choice. Without the understanding of what is behind that choice. Everyone rationalizes their devaluing of others.
    That's kind of my point : the need and the amount of rationalization of why and how devaluing others defines evil.
    Harming someone for profit is just a means to an end, insanity propagated on the belief, that the actions that lead to the most profits instead of directly to their own destruction along with everyone else.
    Nonsensical reasoning. If I kill someone and take his money and get away with it, I'm not leading to my destruction, I'm just better off financially. It's not insanity, it's just being a dirtbag.
    Treating others and everything as irrelevant unless they hold a subject value seems to be humanity itself. It's more over reason why humanity is failing, not because of a lack of intelligence, but a lack of understanding of cost far beyond borders or monetary.
    Humanity also has this thing called "empathy", which, precisely, allows to have concerns for others.

Best definition I've come across is "Evil is the willful destruction of innocence."
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Deleted
    Evil is when you cause others harm; without receiving anything but the pleasure of causing it in return.

A rather irrational thing if you ask me.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's kind of my point : the need and the amount of rationalization of why and how devaluing others defines evil.
    Ok gotcha.

Nonsensical reasoning. If I kill someone and take his money and get away with it, I'm not leading to my destruction, I'm just better off financially. It's not insanity, it's just being a dirtbag.
    But it is, and you even recognize this, even if they ultimately don't or can't or won't. You know very well that if you kill someone and take their money that will most lead to your destruction by your own hand.

And no I am not talking about Karma or anything supernatural.

You are self aware, you know what you have taken doesn't matter why and unless you can't or are unable to actually process that in this hypothetical say you literally don't have the capacity to sense that value. What you have done you carry with you the rationing as you describe it destroys you if you recognize what you have done especially if there wasn't a need.

It's precisely why if you live long enough if what you did you can't make peace with without rationalizing, then it will haunt you. If it doesn't haunt you and I said you are sane or were, it can literally destroy your mind, and no I am not kidding.

The reason deception is so and lies are so dangerous is NOT because of just who you tell them to. You tell them long enough and often enough eventually you convince yourself, eventually even though consciously you might ignore it, sub consciously it will destroy your mind to such a degree you won't even be able to trust yourself.

If you ever have regret you won't even know how or why you should be sorry, or how to be.

Your break down will effect your memory and eventually could lead to all other functions

This is why those without the ability to feel anything who do have a condition aren't bothered by this or a conscience because they can't and usually never will. Because make no mistake it's biology, it's how the brain works or doesn't. And if science ever progresses to the point where criminals some of whom have certain conditions and make certain choices aware of it might have the option where the part of their brain that won't allow them to feel, might be fix'd.

If that happened they will experience life and their memories unleashed in ways that would be worse than any torment of a prison cell.

This is why when cops even the ones that justifiably shoot someone can eventually break down and eat a bullet, it's also why soldiers can come back from wars with conditions like PTSD.

It's also why say a guy like Trump is completely unhinged and insane, because he spent a life time lying to himself and others so much he doesn't know who to trust that's why he is so big on loyalty.

Humanity also has this thing called "empathy", which, precisely, allows to have concerns for others.
    Just because you have empathy doesn't mean you can't ignore it, or turn it on or off by lying to yourself, but in the end it destroys you, and eventually and can destroy everything and anything you touch.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-08-01 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    While I too personally find such stuff disturbing, I can't agree that it classifies as evil. Evil is not defined by your personal value set (and if it was I could call you evil for the clearly bigotted way in which you describe and prejudice Caster Semenya)

Rats are a pest that do great harm, particularly in poor shanty towns such as where Caster grew up. Not only do they consume and ruin food belonging to people who can ill afford it, but they have been known to even eat babies. I think it is understandable that she should hold such ill will against the creatures even if we don't agree with her actions. It's so easy to judge when we don't understand the context....
    If your value system doesn't label as evil the causing pain and suffering for no reason other than the individual enjoying the infliction of pain and suffering, you've reached a point of moral relativism that verges on nihilism.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Evil is when you cause others harm; without receiving anything but the pleasure of causing it in return.

A rather irrational thing if you ask me.
    That's the definition of cruelty, not evil (though cruelty imply evil, of course, but it's not the definition of evil).

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerplank View Post
    You need to ask yourself why this person would go out of their way to cut body parts off a live animal like that, and why they'd record it for their Instagram account. Maybe then you'll come to the realisation that what you here is incredibly stupid.
    How on earth do you think you'd have any clue as to why she would do such a thing if you don't even understand her context? You're making a bunch of (bad) assumptions based on your context, which is clearly very different from hers. If you understand her context, the culture and circumstances she grew up in, then maybe you'd be able to see things from a better perspective.

That being said, it would be hypocritical of me to judge you too harshly. It's not your fault that you're entirely ignorant of people of other cultures, but it would be nice if you'd make an effort to engage and understand rather than just judge - which IMO is actually incredibly stupid.

But it is, and you even recognize this, even if they ultimately don't or can't or won't. You know very well that if you kill someone and take their money that will most lead to your destruction by your own hand.

And no I am not talking about Karma or anything supernatural.

You are self aware, you know what you have taken doesn't matter why and unless you can't or are unable to actually process that in this hypothetical say you literally don't have the capacity to sense that value. What you have done you carry with you the rationing as you describe it destroys you if you recognize what you have done especially if there wasn't a need.

It's precisely why if you live long enough if what you did you can't make peace with without rationalizing, then it will haunt you, if it doesn't haunt you and I said you are sane or were it can literally destroy your mind, and no I am not kidding.

The reason deception is so and lies are so dangerous is NOT because of just who you tell them to. You tell them long enough and often enough eventually you convince yourself, eventually even though consciously you might ignore it, sub consciously it will destroy your mind to such a degree you won't even be able to trust yourself.

If you ever have regret you won't even know how or why you should be sorry, or how to be.

Your break down will effect your memory and eventually could lead to all other functions

This is why those without the ability to feel anything who do have a condition aren't bothered by this or a conscience because they can't and usually never will. Because make no mistake it's biology, it's how the brain works or doesn't. And if science ever progresses to the point where criminals some of whom have certain conditions and make certain choices aware of it might have the option where the part of their brain that won't allow them to feel, might be fix'd.

If that happened they will experience life and their memories unleashed in ways that would be worse than any torment of a prison cell.

This is why when cops even the ones that justifiably shoot someone can eventually break down and eat a bullet, it's also why soldiers can come back from wars with conditions like PTSD.

It's also why say a guy like Trump is completely unhinged and insane, because he spent a life time lying to himself and others so much he doesn't know who to trust that's why he is so big on loyalty.
    This is near-unreadable, long-winded and confusing.
    I couldn't stomach to parse and translate it all, but the gist of what I could surmise is basically "acting evil will destroy you through your conscience". Which is basically amounting to empathy, and as such :
    Just because you have empathy doesn't mean you can't ignore it, or turn it on or off by lying to yourself, but in the end it destroys you, and eventually and can destroy everything and anything you touch.
    Precisely, you can ignore empathy. Or you can be someone who has a low amount of it (or even a psychopath who more or less lacks it).
    And surprise, that's more or less exactly what I said about evil being born of a lack of empathy, and as such, lack of concerns for others.

Evil is a point of view. People will do insanely evil things as long as they benefit from it and then will surround themselves with other people that benefit from it to echo chamber the fact that it is ok. Or they will allow their government or corporations to do insanely evil things so they can directly benefit from things like lower costs and look the other way as they echo chamber to themselves that it is ok. The only time they seem to care about evil deeds is when the gun is against their heads. I mean Americans can get shit on all day by Europeans for empowering Saudi Arabia from example, but can quickly justify buying oil from Russia because in the end in that deal they benefit from the lower prices and ease of access where as Americans can make the same case for the Saudi's. Are both supporting what boils down to evil and tyrannical leadership that ruin the lives of a lot of people? Sure. But why will each do it from one but not the other? It is really simple, they can benefit from it. So the point of view is skewed to allow it and sure maybe the mouth will say "but he bad" but your pocket book says "take my money, stay in power, hail the king". Actions speak louder than words and this is on something as simple as where we pump dead plant juice out of the ground at. It gets more complex.

Deleted
    "Evil" is a social construct, made to exclude and shun people who can't conform to society's norms about what someone "should" and "ought" to do.

In reality, most countries around the world have different ways of punishing certain crimes, different understandings of right and wrong.
    So is it also with each of us, having a personal understanding of good and evil.

"Evil" only exists in your heads - there is no higher morale or ethics - Who are you to say your ideals are better than mine?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Not quite. Being a loner does not automatically make you a psychopath, as I am very much able to empathize with others.
    I never said that being a loner makes you a psychopath. I said that it is about being a social being, means that you are able to share (wealth) and not think about yourself only.

Egoism is the main motor for capitalism probably, but surely not the motor for a healthy society only.

Capitalism fails where people stop being social.

Selfish greed works in a computer game where it is about your epics. But not in the real world where it is about humans who suffer.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-08-01 at 01:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is near-unreadable, long-winded and confusing.
    I couldn't stomach to parse and translate it all, but the gist of what I could surmise is basically "acting evil will destroy you through your conscience". Which is basically amounting to empathy, and as such :
    Well you can call it a conscience yes, but it simply has to do with the message your mind receives from yourself, and how you operate towards others. Yes that is the gist.

Precisely, you can ignore empathy. Or you can be someone who has a low amount of it (or even a psychopath who more or less lacks it).
    And surprise, that's more or less exactly what I said about evil being born of a lack of empathy, and as such, lack of concerns for others.
    You can ignore it, and it destroys you along the way, not the stealing, but the rationalizing it. I can't contend this is evil, because it is ultimately self destructive and it would defeat the purpose of a sane mind. Someone might choose to not care in the short term, they have no choice over the long term.

Someone who doesn't have this problem won't have that to contend with at all, because they can't not sure how that would be evil if it is in their nature.

The only other option is that the person knows full well from the beginning what they are doing is evil, meaning they are sane, and choose to do so because they want to destroy themselves and everybody else. That is extremely rare.

Most human beings do not operate that way, in fact outside of two I mentioned Hitler and Stalin who were brothers of the same kind of evil I can't think of any as recent.