Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    And there's your problem. You never shut up about race. It is fucking everything to you. Because your a racist.
    You know how often normal people talk about race or religion? Almost none at all. Because they aren't racists or bigots.
    Because i enjoy history, culture, sociology, psychology, religion and their influence on society. Discussion each of these isnt a problem unless you start making it a problem by deeming every discussion racist. Its ridiculous.

I talk with friends about culture and religion all the time without any problems. Sometimes just to explore, sometimes to discuss. With black people, white people, from all across the globe with various religions. Only on MMO-champ it seems to be a problem.
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2017-08-04 at 12:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Concepts about social race are generally somewhat subjective depending on people. Some people exclude Mediterraneans, while others consider them white, there are people who consider most Middle Eastern people white.

Bosnians are indisputably Europeans though and seeing pictures of them, they aren't significantly different from any range of phenotypes you would see represented in Europe/Caucasus.
    Well you never really consider these things unless you're confronted by them or really gave'em any thought. Mediterraneans/Southern Europeans are definitely caucasian, but if you move up north you may see/meet some people who consider you different than they are.

After 10 months in Denmark, I can say that i was confronted with these sorts of situations, both from "native white" danes as well as immigrants. As a portuguese with quite the tanned skin color, i was confused with being palenistian, indian, turkish, and the closest was spanish. So that is to say, there may some sort of divide as to what different european regions consider white or caucasian.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    Because i enjoy history, culture, sociology, psychology, religion. Discussion each of these isnt a problem unless you start making it a problem by deeming every discussion racist. Its ridiculous.

I talk with friends about culture and religion all the time. Sometimes just to explore, sometimes to discuss.
    Your original post is just about race, nothing else. Any one can go and read it. So stop blubbing when you get accused of being a racist. That's what racism is, a viewpoint based entirely on race.

I don't think that makes them any less European, even with Islamization and some cultural assimilation.

Turks themselves aren't really much of a "race" as much as they're a heterogeneous mix of Middle Eastern, European and Caucasian peoples with some minor Central Asian ancestry. Turks can be darker skinned with black curly hair or they can be pale with ginger hair.

This isn't to say there isn't a Turkish identity or culture, of course there is.
    i am saying they are european

Because i enjoy history, culture, sociology, psychology, religion and their influence on society. Discussion each of these isnt a problem unless you start making it a problem by deeming every discussion racist. Its ridiculous.

I talk with friends about culture and religion all the time without any problems. Sometimes just to explore, sometimes to discuss. With black people, white people, from all across the globe with various religions. Only on MMO-champ it seems to be a problem.
    racism - noun - the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Saying "the arabs" are obnoxious and rude and all of that is literally the dictionary definition of racism.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    racism - noun - the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Saying "the arabs" are obnoxious and rude and all of that is literally the dictionary definition of racism.
    So you are saying the bosnians are racist?

- - - Updated - - -

Your original post is just about race, nothing else. Any one can go and read it. So stop blubbing when you get accused of being a racist. That's what racism is, a viewpoint based entirely on race.
    My original post is about how alot of bosnians seem to perceive people they describe as "the arabs" as anoying.
    Or didnt you read the OP?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    I just came back from a holiday in Bosnia. Lovely country, lovely people, lovely nature. A country rich with history. A tolerable country where muslims, orthodox, jews and catholics live together in peace. My kind of country. Meat dishes, oh to die for. Theres just one thing: they seem to hate arabs. We've only been there for 7 days, so it could be anecdotical, but we traveled all across the land (mostar, sarajevo, tuzla, blagaj, etc.) and everywhere they were complaining about "the arabs".

Apparantly "the arabs" come on holidays and claim everything chasing locals away, being obnoxious and obteus to other guests etc. I recall while rafting seeing an arab couple not doing anything but sitting in the rafting boat with their child while two workers were paddling the 50 kilometers. From here it looks like they were just really spoiled and cocky.

However it got me thinking: how can it be that in a country where they figured out a way to have all religions live together, the majority still dislikes arabs? Is it racism? Or does the arab population (i think the bosnians refer to everyone from the middle east and northern africa with the term arab) have something about their culture and behavings that lead other people to disliking them even in a tolerant country like bosnia?
    You hear the same things about other groups. In many countries, you'll hear about the obnoxious Americans. Within any given country, you'll hear disparaging remarks about one group or another...usually about groups that are more in the minority than not. Bosnia may be more tolerant than most countries, but it is still composed of groups of people that will not always be tolerant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianus View Post
    i am saying they are european
    Oh nevermind then

Concepts about social race are generally somewhat subjective depending on people. Some people exclude Mediterraneans, while others consider them white, there are people who consider most Middle Eastern people white.

Bosnians are indisputably Europeans though and seeing pictures of them, they aren't significantly different from any range of phenotypes you would see represented in Europe/Caucasus.
    they actually have one of the "cleaneast eu haplogroup 1 genome" meaning they didnt change for long time when they settled there http://www.eupedia.com/europe/maps_Y...groups.shtml#I

So you are saying the bosnians are racist?

- - - Updated - - -

My original post is about how alot of bosnians seem to perceive people they describe as "the arabs" as anoying.
    Or didnt you read the OP?
    Yes, if they generalize arabs the way you're describing.
    Beta Club Brosquad

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When people of many different ethnicities and cultures all have common dislike of something, there generally tends to be some history behind it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Yes, if they generalize arabs the way you're describing.
    I was describing their description..
    You didnt read the OP did you..
    And you jumped on the SJW train..
    Dont you feel silly now..

Deleted
    I know a Bosnian guy, Muslim, let's say he's a friend of mine.
    Arabs destroyed their country. Who wouldn't hate them? They sponsored the worst shit in their country. And they paid for it.

Arabs used their land as a playfield.

I believe they dislike Arabs because they feel like wealthy Gulf Arabs are "buying" their country by owning and investing large amounts of real estate.

This isn't something unique to the Balkans though. Some Lebanese have this same attitude. Even the Muslim ones. Arabs from gulf states have no exposure to living in multiracial, religiously plural cities outside of having servants.

Deleted
    A tolerable country where muslims, orthodox, jews and catholics live together in peace.
    Yeah. They are the main culprits of tolerance. That, and genocide in the 90s.

You got a great example to create a "Everyone hates arabs"-thread.

Which makes this just another questionable ethnicities-thread.

Is this some kind of joke?

There was widespread ethnic cleansing of the Muslim population in Bosnia by the Serbs, mostly Christian orthodox. The only reason there wasn't total genocide was an intervention by the United Nations.
    Let's be real, the US parked 2 aircraft carrier off the coast and said the bombings will continue until morale is improved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    Why wouldn't people like Tito though, he was alright? Much better than many of the 80-90s politicians that succeeded him.
    He's responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands, maybe?

Serbs all moved to serbia. Muslims actually make up the majority of bosnia nowadays.
    Odd seeing how Serbs are still the second biggest ethnic group in the area (about a third of the entire population)..... You sure learned a lot from that tour guide huh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    He's responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands, maybe?
    He navigated through some very difficult waters and kept Yugoslavia away from the Soviet block would probably be why. Not trying to claim that he was great or anything just that he was no where near as bad as many of the likely alternatives. For being a post WW2 communist country, Yugoslavia was about as good as it gets.

As someone who lives in Sarajevo, here are the few things:

1. Stop using term "bosnians". There are no ethnic bosnians. Muslim population calls themselves "Bosniaks". More than 50% of people are Bosniaks, but theyre majority in only about 23% of the country (area-wise)
    2. Serbs aren't "all gone to serbia". They control ethnically clean entity, Republic of Srpska, which takes up 49% of country.
    3. Bosnia is far from multiethnic tolerant country which Bosniaks try to sell to outside world. Fact is, most of the muslim population has "my way or gtfo" mindset, hell bent on achieving unitary country in which all of the decisions would lie in Bosniak hands (due to numbers). Obviously, neither Serbs nor Croats are much better.
    4. Arab question is deeply polarizing. Half of the population hate them because they come, buy the land and refuse to adhere to local customs. The other half likes them because theyre muslim aswell.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it is pretty simple going by my years of vacations abroad. Every vacation location has its customers which tempts their patience hard. On Spanish islands it's German, British and Dutch tourists, in Turkey it's usually Russian tourists and in Cyprus it was hard to determine but at least in the North you've had Israelis being more brash than others. So I don't believe it's specifically targeting Arabs but some cultures have a clan-like behaviour no matter where they go. I personally know that when I clearly hear Russian voice closing in that I am switching to combat mode and quickly seize...everything.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!