Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Asian-American students Harvard turned down are at the center of the next big fight

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/a...194323913.html

Well this is kind of bullshit, Not only are universities unfairly giving some minorities a advantage over whites in college admissions, they are actively discriminating against other minorities who are historically outperform whites.

U.S.

Asian-American students Harvard turned down are at the center of the next big fight over affirmative action

Harvard University Admissions Financial Aid Office Campus Student
    (The groups say it's harder for Asian-American students to get into college.Glen Cooper/Getty Images)
    In 2016 the US Supreme Court ruled in favor of affirmative action at the University of Texas-Austin (UT), further validating the use of race in admissions policies around the country.

The efforts of opponents of affirmative action were temporarily stymied, but they have reemerged with a lawsuit against Harvard University claiming the school discriminates against Asian-Americans, The New York Times reported.

An anti-affirmative action group called Students for Fair Admissions filed a lawsuit against Harvard in 2015, alleging that the college and other Ivy League institutions use racial quotas to admit students to the detriment of more qualified Asian-American applicants. The group includes a coalition of more than 60 Asian-American groups.

"It falls afoul of our most basic civil rights principles, and those principles are that your race and your ethnicity should not be something to be used to harm you in life nor help you in life," Edward Blum, the president of Students for Fair Admissions, told The Times.

Blum is the same figure who helped to bring the landmark University of Texas-Austin case to the Supreme Court.

The suit against Harvard claims Asian-American applicants are held to a higher standard than others and must achieve, for example, higher test scores to be accepted.

Michael Wang, an Asian-American recent college graduate, relates to those claims. He was ranked second in his class and graduated with a 4.67 weighted GPA. He scored a 2230 on his SAT, placing him in the 99th percentile of students who took the exam.

When he applied in 2013, Wang suspected that his race might work against him. But he was still shocked when he received rejection letters from Stanford and every Ivy League school except for the University of Pennsylvania.

"There was nothing humanly possible I could do," Wang told Business Insider in 2016, adding that he felt utterly demoralized after his rejections.

The Department of Justice confirmed it has begun seeking volunteers to investigate the Harvard complaint, an indication that they may be starting an investigation.

That may mean that the case is aimed for the Supreme Court, and may wage the next war in the fight over the use of race in admissions policies.

They need to acknowledge their Asian privilege (higher chance of being born into wealth, stable families, treated better by justice system, higher IQs & better educational attainment).

The table in Inside Higher Ed (from data attained from the Princeton study) showing the "bonus" or "penalty" given based on race is pretty over the top. The explicitly anti-Asian policies of selective universities are pretty appalling - there's no plausible argument that these kinds of gaps are just implicit bias.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2017-08-04 at 10:31 PM.

you have to try to white bash in every thread, do you hate equality that much? '

Admissions to college should have no indicator of race what so ever, it should be listed on anything. Let the best applicants get in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unreal.

This thread is about Ivy League diversity quotas actively discriminating against Asians and somehow you still have to make it about how evil white people are...

Yay, more test score wankery. The admissions process takes into account so much more than your SAT score, and I think a lot of these people are missing that.

Plus, if undergrad admissions is anything at all like grad admissions, then test scores are a basic competence check, and then a tie-breaker if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Doesn't seem like much of a fight.

Asians aren't entitled to admission just because they have better grades, there are obviously other factors involved.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    Let the best applicants get in.
    That is what affirmative action is. Only works when two candidates are equally qualified.

I hope y'all also against legacy admission. Cuz, that is affirmative action for whites.

We should not support affirmative action in any form when it comes to government intervention. It doesn't matter if it's a school letting people in, government jobs, or even the Electoral College. It is mandated inequality, and it's unacceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course. Without affirmative action Asians would steamroll everyone else. It protects white people as much as other races.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    That is what affirmative action is. Only works when two candidates are equally qualified.

I hope y'all also against legacy admission. Cuz, that is affirmative action for whites.
    This is obviously false - see my link above. Blacks are given an enormous amount of preference in university admissions.

Every single person that claims that AA works as you claim is ignorant or lying.

I am. I believe only the individual's talents and qualifications should come into play. Not family. Race. Sex. Money. Etc.

Affirmative action was once something needed, it has now devolved into a prejudiced system punishing others for their race. It needs to be trashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Of course. Without affirmative action Asians would steamroll everyone else. It protects white people as much as other races.
    Not really - without AA, whites tend to wind up represented at about the same level as with it, but Asians take a significant number of spots from blacks and Hispanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is obviously false - see my link above. Blacks are given an enormous amount of preference in university admissions.

Every single person that claims that AA works as you claim is ignorant or lying.
    You didn't post a link.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    I am. I believe only the individual's talents and qualifications should come into play. Not family. Race. Sex. Money. Etc.

Affirmative action was once something needed, it has now devolved into a prejudiced system punishing others for their race. It needs to be trashed.
    Still is given socio economic situation between ethnic groups. Especially as it, as I said, only applies with similar qualification.

You didn't post a link.
    Here it is!

It certainly smashes the myth of race as a "tiebreaker", unless you believe that being ~1.5 SDs worse than the competition is basically tied.

Well, if the big schools let more Asians in it will be at the expense of the other groups, I think the big schools Harvard, Yale were already at 60% Asian or more and that's with a cap on Asians. Asians only making up like 20% of the US population.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Maybe to someone who misunderstands what it actually is. It's intended to promote equality. It makes it so that people can't be denied certain opportunities because of their race.
    sadly in reality all it promotes is inequality and discrimination based on race.

- - - Updated - - -

Still is given socio economic situation between ethnic groups. Especially as it, as I said, only applies with similar qualification.
    except in reality, it does not only apply with similar qualifications. your feels dont make them reals. affirmative action is a racist policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Idk. Affirmative Action is a complicated subject, I can see both sides to it.
    I don't think most people's positions are hard to understand. The majority of people that support AA want to take something away from whites and the majority of people against it want to give something to whites. That's why bringing up Asians results in just about everyone else shrugging, aside from Asian people.