Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Except the bit where comedians tell you that they're comedians, directly or indirectly (ie. performing at a comedy club or performing a comedy show). Trolls don't preface their trolling with "I'm a troll".
    Because that'd basically be like if James Bond wore a shirt that said I'M A SPY on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    Because that'd basically be like if James Bond wore a shirt that said I'M A SPY on it.
    Because that is what the opening sequence of every James Bond movie is. You don't watch a James Bond movie with the expectation that James Bond is anything other than a spy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    The main issue I find here is people have bastardised what "trolling" is. Trolling wasn't even Malevolent, it was usually tongue in cheek that would get a rise out of people before they realised they had gotten trolled.
    i.e: Why does Zelda always save the Princess, would lead to people being like "WHAT THE FUCK ZELDA IS THE PRINCESS OMFG" <--- Trolling.

What isn't trolling is "Hey you should go kill yourself lolol u got trold" <----Being an Asshole. Not "trolling"

People(idiots) at some point mixed the two up and ended up thinking they are synonymous words, be it them hearing people use it wrong, or listening to idiotic Media outlets that started labeling anyone being a literal asshole as "trolling"

"Trolling is trying to get a rise out of someone. Forcing them to respond to you, either through wise-crackery, posting incorrect information, asking blatantly stupid questions, or other foolishness. However, trolling statements are never true or are ever meant to be construed as such. Nearly all trolled statements are meant to be funny to some people, so it does have some social/entertainment value.

"Trolling" isn't simply "harmful statements". Intentionally insulting/libelous statements are "flaming"
    This pretty much.

Things like a play on words or even a joke at someone's expense is trolling. Telling someone to kill themselves is not.

Ganking lowbies is a perfect example. If you're one of those people who thinks gankers are exactly the same as irl serial killers that is the very definition of narrow mindedness.
    I generally just view them as childish twats.

Deleted
    I find trolling people on the Internet hilarious. It's fun as hell to rile people up instigate arguments. Making people get all worked up and annoyed is just so funny to me and I honestly couldn't tell you why that is.

That said, it bothers me when people call all trolls sadistic psychopaths. I'd never do anything to hurt anyone. I'd never ruin someone's life for the hell of it. I just think it's funny to annoy and mildly inconvenience people. I don't think it's fun to cause actual pain(emotional or physical) to anyone. I get that not everyone can understand the joys of annoying people, but to compare people like me to the types that actually hurt people is just foolish.
    This is pretty much word for word the excuse bullies use. Anonymity and lack of consequence bring out peoples true selves.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because that is what the opening sequence of every James Bond movie is. You don't watch a James Bond movie with the expectation that James Bond is anything other than a spy.
    Yes. You, the viewer know that. But if he did wear a shirt saying that then he wouldn't be a very good spy now would he?

Sadists are the type of people who torture small animals for fun. They're the types who go out of their way to ruin lives for kicks with no remorse. I don't consider people who do that shit to be in the same realms of people who instigate arguments for fun and if you do then you're incredibly narrow minded.
    That is an incredibly" narrow minded " understanding of sadism you have there, friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Distress? If being trolled on the Internet causes you distress you're mentally fucked up and should seek help.
    And so what if someone is mentally fucked up?

What if a person has PTSD, or depression, or any other of a number of "but you don't LOOK crazy!" mental illnesses?
    Even more to the point -- what if they HAVE sought help, and are on the road to a recovery, but some asshole on the Internet posting pictures of dead babies or something is undermining that recovery?

Are these people just supposed to exist outside of your tidy little corner of the world?
    Maybe we can send them all to a fucking leper colony, just for you.

Don't worry - we can create a safe space for you, snowflake.

Deleted
    I think we have different definitions of sadism. Sadists are the type of people who torture small animals for fun. They're the types who go out of their way to ruin lives for kicks with no remorse. I don't consider people who do that shit to be in the same realms of people who instigate arguments for fun and if you do then you're incredibly narrow minded.
    "i'm not causing _real_ harm, therefore it is okay" or "i can't understand someone would/could be hurt by this, therefore it is okay."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    And so what if someone is mentally fucked up?

What if a person has PTSD, or depression, or any other of a number of "but you don't LOOK crazy!" mental illnesses?
    Even more to the point -- what if they HAVE sought help, and are on the road to a recovery, but some asshole on the Internet posting pictures of dead babies or something is undermining that recovery?

Are these people just supposed to exist outside of your tidy little corner of the world?
    Maybe we can send them all to a fucking leper colony, just for you.

Don't worry - we can create a safe space for you, snowflake.
    Posting depressing pictures isn't trolling. There's nothing funny about making people depressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. You, the viewer know that. But if he did wear a shirt saying that then he wouldn't be a very good spy now would he?
    Considering that the bad guy always knows that James Bond is a spy...I think it is safe to say assume that James Bond is a terrible spy.

- - - Updated - - -

Posting depressing pictures isn't trolling. There's nothing funny about making people depressed.
    There is nothing funny, to you. There are other people who derive pleasure from posting depressing pictures that upset people, the primary difference between you and those posting depressing pictures in the context of trolling is that you want to annoy people rather than depress them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    "i'm not causing _real_ harm, therefore it is okay" or "i can't understand someone would/could be hurt by this, therefore it is okay."
    Yeah just think of all the suffering being rick-rolled has caused to millions of people. The problem is some people don't know the difference between flaming and trolling.

Trolling is usually fine but can be in bad taste just like comedy. Flaming not so much.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2017-08-07 at 03:20 AM.

I don't get why people think trolling is defensible.

"Haha! I'm not actually an awful person, I just act deliberately like one. Totally fooled you."

Trolling is textbook sociopathy, not psychopathy/sadism.

"A sociopath can be defined as a person who has Antisocial Personality Disorder. This disorder is characterized by a disregard for the feelings of others, a lack of remorse or shame, manipulative behavior, unchecked egocentricity, and the ability to lie in order to achieve one's goals."

It's not even like most trolls are good at being sociopaths, with no non-verbal (non-textual, I guess) cues to go on lying is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by turboether View Post
    Keeping your cool under such pressures was once seen as a sign of maturity.
    Not engaging in such behaviour was once seen as a sign of maturity.

theres a fine line

once you start stalking people online it gets creepy

7+ Year Old Account
    Considering that the bad guy always knows that James Bond is a spy...I think it is safe to say assume that James Bond is a terrible spy.

- - - Updated - - -

There is nothing funny, to you. There are other people who derive pleasure from posting depressing pictures that upset people, the primary difference between you and those posting depressing pictures in the context of trolling is that you want to annoy people rather than depress them.
    And that's a significant difference. People kill themselves due to depression. Depression can destroy you and your life. Annoyance, however, can not. If someone were to kill the self over being annoyed on the Internet then they probably already had several severe underlying issues making them a ticking time bomb anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Yeah just think of all the suffering being rick-rolled has caused to millions of people. The problem is some people don't know the difference between flaming and trolling.

Trolling is usually fine but can be in bad taste just like comedy. Flaming not so much.
    you joke but the fact that trolls have a wide audience on the internet is the only upside there is to it. it means the chances a troll will harass the same victim constantly are pretty low. Compare it to a high school where trolls/bullies only have a few victims that "respond" to them.

it doesn't make the trolls themselves any less of an asshole. it gets even worse when you consider most trolls are actually adults and not kids.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's the thing though, them posting depressing pictures ISN'T Trolling. Stop fucking up the definition of it just to suit your argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    you joke but the fact that trolls have a wide audience on the internet is the only upside there is to it. it means the chances a troll will harass the same victim constantly are pretty low. Compare it to a high school where trolls/bullies only have a few victims that "respond" to them.

it doesn't make the trolls themselves any less of an asshole. it gets even worse when you consider most trolls are actually adults and not kids.
    Once again, you are talking about people Flaming or being Assholes, not trolling.

- - - Updated - - -

Except the bit where comedians tell you that they're comedians, directly or indirectly (ie. performing at a comedy club or performing a comedy show). Trolls don't preface their trolling with "I'm a troll".
    What about the 10000's of Comedians that's entire bit is they troll random public people by pretending to be something they're not? You know, the "Gotcha" Comedians? The ones that don't say they are a Comedian until they get a reaction first? I.e Eric Andre

Goddamn you people are dense.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think we have different definitions of sadism. Sadists are the type of people who torture small animals for fun. They're the types who go out of their way to ruin lives for kicks with no remorse. I don't consider people who do that shit to be in the same realms of people who instigate arguments for fun and if you do then you're incredibly narrow minded.

So you want to ignore part of the definition to make yourself feel better?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post

Once again, you are talking about people Flaming or being Assholes, not trolling.
    The OP is specifically talking about the kind of trolling that gets people "all worked up and annoyed". theres little point in arguing semantics on what it should be called exactly, cause then there are several more categories that should be specified. it's better to focus on the desired effects on victims and how they can pan out worse then intended, and the mindset of the troll.

This thread is hilarious, all the trolls trying to rationalize their despicable actions, failing miserably.