Page 1 of 3
LastLast

So who is Banksy ?

Anyone know who this amazing artist is?

Surely someone would run into him spray painting & doing graffiti around London & New York.

There are so many security cameras in big cities now.. I am amazed they have not identified him.

Rumor has it that it is Massive Attack musician Robert Del Naja.

However Banksy in a rare interview, says its not him

http://www.contactmusic.com/banksy/n...l-naja_5781281

Speaking with community magazine, Boundless, the street artist explained in a rare interview: "I choose to keep my identity hidden because often when you know the artist, you think you also know the art and I want to keep the mystery. As well as that, the most noticeable and breath-taking pieces of street art are created by anonymous talents."

Then there is of course the claim from journalist Craig Williams - who spent five months researching the graffiti artist - that Banksy is more of a collective of people rather than just a single person.

After all Banksy's art is not just limited to Graffiti.. It is mobile art like the Animals in the truck below..

I really like Banksy's work..anyone else like it?

It is political..and makes you think.

"Sirens of the lambs" ..Mobile Banksy Art in New York

10+ Year Old Account
    It's definately Robert Del Naja. I am 99% sure of it.

Deleted
    If I was Batman, and gave a rare interview. I wouldn't say I was Batman either.

I too think it could be Robert Del Naja though.

Well Banksy Graffiti did correlate with cities where the band Massive Attack where playing in England.

So Robert del Naja is probably prime suspect as Banksy..

A Banksy video featuring Dumbo

If you care at all about who Banksy is, it might be time to re-evaluate your life!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    If you care at all about who Banksy is, it might be time to re-evaluate your life!
    You know this is a site where people spend large amounts of time arguing about video games right?

Deleted
    Who is this Banksy? And why does he have such a large following because of his/her grafitti vandalism?

His paintings are worth millions of dollars.

Has there ever been a case where people cut the paintings out of the walls so they can sell them?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

We will never know, and I ... prefer it this way. The thing about a mysterious street artist is you never know where or when something new will pop up, and not knowing who the artist is makes what they do, all the better...imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Has there ever been a case where people cut the paintings out of the walls so they can sell them?
    Funny you should say that, I was watch Antiques Road show, and one Episode a gent brought in a Door off his building. He housed a place for kids to gather and spend their time, to keep them off the streets and what not, and Banksy painted on his door, and If I recall left a note saying that they should sell it, if they ever needed to raise funds. Or something to that nature.

I often wonder how people are able to accurately authenticate his work.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    Who is this Banksy? And why does he have such a large following because of his/her grafitti vandalism?
    You must be fun at parties.

I prefer to keep the mystery, I saw his Dismaland and fell in love with the artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    If you care about what the rest of people spend their free time on, you might want to re-evaluate your life.
    Did I just create a paradox?

Some hack. Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

There was a rather lengthy documentary my boyfriend watched about a Banksy piece that was cut off the side of a building. They spent quite a lot of money doing so.

The man who headed the project wanted to donate it to a museum, but pretty much every single one declined. He had various offers, up in the millions even, to sell it, but that wasn't his goal (and, as of publication of the documentary, he didn't).

Deleted
    Robin Gunningham

I'd seen an interview a while back where they were talking about Banksy and the guy who was being interviewed (Goldie) accidentally slipped up and referred to Banksy as "Robert". So pretty sure it is Robert De Naja.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Some hack. Who cares?
    Some Hack whose art sells for more than Warhol. That's the kind of hack I wouldn't mind being.

Whoever he is he's way too old to still be a jaded teenager.

Deleted
    I don't actually like his work but art is art

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    Because its very nice artwork. You should look at some.