Page 38 of 80 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    dont talk shit about where you work in a public manor. right or wrong, that was a dumb choice. id fire any employee for the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    LOL looks like CNN noticed James Damore is lawyering things up and quickly changed headlines to get out of it.

Here's a resent article from Fortune.

"Fired Google Employee Wants to Sue—and He May Have a Case"

http://fortune.com/2017/08/08/google-memo-legal/

This was one of the first articles I came across. Feel free to look for more if you like .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Agree with him or not, Google is a private organization and should be able to hire and fire people at their discretion. This is a non-issue.

Yes, they can fire whomever they choose, but every company knows there's a process how to fire/let go of any employee. (Also, every company is different on how they handle those types of situations, and plenty of it depends on what's in their written policy.)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Well yeah... her message was pretty much "Look I'm better than the other guy... look how horrible he is!" I am not sure who thought that was a winning strategy... though the constant GOP attacks on the Clintons, and the Email stuff, and the Comey letter did not help either. It was a perfect storm of bullshit, both from her camp, and just people gunning for her.

I agree that people getting upset on other people's behalf is annoying at best, and dangerous at worst if a stupid/drunken tweet can get you fired because someone twisted the hell out of it to make it "racist", or whatever.
    There's no denying that amount of smear played into her loss. But also chasing off potential voters with the deplorables comment, expecting to get Bernie votes with no effort and not campaigning in certain states. Those make three cherries on top of the multi scoop sundae no one wants to eat. So many things, all valid.

Back to it. There's a real big part of it. It's too fucking easy to be tagged racist. And the ramifications are intense in this era where people will go out of their way to prove they aren't being racist. What better way to look like a good person than to spam death threats at someone who is fine with gays, but a little weirded out by them on Facebook?

Isn't he a hero? Bravely fighting for gays with uncalled for hatred?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    The memo did not say women weren't made for tech. That's misrepresenting what it is about.

The author argues that tech should be made more attractive for women by adjusting the culture in it rather than arbitrarily forcing quotas. If the domain can stand on its own, it should attract more qualified women, it's plain logic.

Somehow, it was perceived as an attack against women. How in hell is fighting to make your workplace more attractive to diversity rather than pure arbitrary numbers sexist/racist is beyond me.
    This, This, This, This.. SAY IT AGAIN FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK ROW! This guy used incredibly moderate language to ascribe his opinion, and was open about he viewed the. He also had sound research to back his claims up, and even made suggestions to google in order to help and attract more people. I don't see how this is anything other than corporate fascism. It is disgusting. Diversity is only for those they deem diverse. This only got highlighted because some leftists in a leftist company took offense to a letter that was not ridiculously pandering to a group of people. I hope he gets a job at another company and smashes google.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    [snipped for too much whine, too little bread]
    Google is a PRIVATE company. They aren't required to respect freedom of speech, nor freedom of views. Yes, you can hold any views and work anywhere, so long as A: you don't go telling people what you believe, and B: don't let it influence your work. As soon as you DO, the company has the right to distance themselves from you.

As right-wingers are SO happy to tell us again and again, "less government and more private companies is good". An employee's views could have hurt the image of the company, the company distanced themselves by firing him. You should applaud this as it is capitalism in practice

Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    You have freedom of speech from government interference. you are not free from consequences.
    Yes, freedom of speech is just an inconvenient barrier applied by the government, not a value individuals and society as a whole should hold!

Whenever you hear this line of thought you know you're dealing with scum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

Agree with him or not, Google is a private organization and should be able to hire and fire people at their discretion. This is a non-issue.
    Not really. It's part of the fabric of society to have an opinion on the goings ons of others in the same society and to put some pressure on people if they're something like actually racist or sexist. Recently this attitude has really been pushing the limits, though. And in this case, there doesn't seem to have been any sexism at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    Memo filled with evidence, neutral tone, and thorough sourcing.

Gets called sexist and racist because it presents evidence.

What the hell.

- - - Updated - - -

Not what the memo said.
    Don't expect most of the people that frequent these forums to actually read it. They'd rather get their views from Vice, Gizmodo and Buzzfeed.

Quote Originally Posted by azurrei View Post
    Diversity is very important but some organizations take a diversity mandate too far...Diversity for the sake of diversity can be more harmful than helpful (I'm not saying this is the case at Google -just in general this happens far too often.) Having said that, the comment by the individual "that women are biologically unsuitable for certain technical roles" - is absolutely ridiculous and should not be tolerated.
    Have to agree with you. I dare to say that Google has gone somewhat over the deep end in this regard, actually, but firing the employee in question seems like a sound and smart move, as long as they can do so without any legal blowback.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Google is a PRIVATE company. They aren't required to respect freedom of speech, nor freedom of views.
    I wonder how Google would feel if the public thought they didn't really believe in American values? I'd rather foster a society which is respectful of marginalized opinions, and which doesn't go on witch hunts, ruining people's lives because they said something which is more than likely true anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I wonder how Google would feel if the public thought they didn't really believe in American values? I'd rather foster a society which is respectful of marginalized opinions, and which doesn't go on witch hunts, ruining people's lives because they said something which is more than likely true anyways.
    Interesting fact: most people who claim that they don't like witch hunts actually have no problem with witch hunts, so long as it's witches they don't like that is being burnt.

And "American Values"? Oh please...

Not really. It's part of the fabric of society to have an opinion on the goings ons of others in the same society and to put some pressure on people if they're something like actually racist or sexist. Recently this attitude has really been pushing the limits, though. And in this case, there doesn't seem to have been any sexism at all.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with them firing him, I feel that the group think at Google must be incredibly toxic. That being said, it is still a private organization that has the right to hire or fire people as they see fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we think about diversity, what matters is that there is no discrimination and everyone has a chance to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Interesting fact: most people who claim that they don't like witch hunts actually have no problem with witch hunts, so long as it's witches they don't like that is being burnt.

And "American Values"? Oh please...
    Yes, American values.

I'm well aware of the "who whom" saying, it's not really an irony to which I've fallen prey. I'm going to assume you were against the chic fil a boycott, so good on you for being consistent.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with them firing him, I feel that the group think at Google must be incredibly toxic. That being said, it is still a private organization that has the right to hire or fire people as they see fit.

I mentioned this about a page or so back, but will post it again for my response to your statement.

Yes, they can fire whomever they choose, but every company knows there's a process how to fire/let go of any employee. (Also, every company is different on how they handle those types of situations, and plenty of it depends on what's in their written policy.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    If we think about diversity, what matters is that there is no discrimination and everyone has a chance to succeed.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No. Diversity is about meeting gender/racial quotas. That is ALL there is to it. No equal opportunities, no egalitarianism, just feeding positions to suboptimal candidates just because of some trait from birth. Now THAT is racism/classism/whateverthefuckistrendingrightnowism.

I just don't see the appeal of "well they're private so there's no issue to discuss" - it seems a bit too parochial to me. Plus, if this mentality gains some tradition (it already seems to have many victims) in Google, it may spread to other corporations and businesses and then it really will become your issue. Further down the line this wouldn't be a very pleasant society to live in.

http://quillette.com/2017/08/07/goog...tists-respond/

Scientists respond

"It was like watching Trinity downloading the pilot program for flying the B-212 helicopter in The Matrix. Such fast learners! (Even Google’s new ‘VP of Diversity’, Danielle Brown, criticized the memo because it ‘advanced incorrect assumptions about gender’; I was impressed to see that her Michigan State B.A. in Business and her U. Michigan M.B.A. qualify her to judge the scientific research.)"

Absolutely roasted

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, American values.

I'm well aware of the "who whom" saying, it's not really an irony to which I've fallen prey. I'm going to assume you were against the chic fil a boycott, so good on you for being consistent.
    Never heard of any chic filling. As for you not falling prey, we'll see.

And American values is absolutely worth an "Oh please..."

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    People should be hired for their merits and qualifications, not what they were born as ffs.
    Would be nice if that actually happened. But instead of the top candidate people would just hire the white dude for pretty much all of US history.

Change your name from José to Joe on your resume and drastically increase your call back chance.