Page 46 of 80 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Considering how google has been the biggest innovator of technology for the last couple of decades, I find it funny that people are whining that they're hiring certain people "just to fill a quota". Apparently the people they hire for diversity's sake are FAR more qualified than most think.

But I get it, people see diversity pushes and think companies are hiring dunces. It's just that this almost never turns out to be true, and the people they hire are perfectly qualified.

I also get a chuckle from the fact that so many of the people who are bitching about this, are the same people who whenever a business fucks over a customer or employee because they're gay (or whatever other form of discrimination the deplorables think is perfectly fine), are now super dooper pissed. Whatever happened to "the free market will fix it!" I take it that line is only valid when discriminating against gays and minorities?
    I assume most people don't ask whether their doctor was a B or C student in school when the go visit him. They assume he's qualified and at worst the get a second opinion if they don't like what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    I disagree. Google hire top level people in a tech heavy field. Drawing conclusions about that subset of people from the general public is likely to be problematic.
    Except that's not where the data is coming from, and no conclusions are being drawn about the women Google is already hiring. This is about initiatives that are being put forth to increase the number of women going into STEM fields through scholarships, youth outreach programs, etc.

LOL@49 pages devoted to this dreck.

What happened to conservatives defending the employer come hell or high water?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    It's still hilarious to me that women are counted as minorities when they are 51% of the population.
    from what i understand only the white man (straight) is the enemy. which is funny cause only the white man pays my bills lol. couple of asians too but i have so many more white accounts... also women suck when it comes to paying. most of my single women are either late paying or cheap when it comes to repairs. maybe its the gender pay gap

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    This is largely irrelevant. I don't think googles should have a 50-50% gender split if the field they work in is skewed towards males.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the important bit. He reached an improper conclusion from the data he provided to suit his own bias and perpetuate a negative stereotype. He violated their code of conduct and it's not OK because he tried to use false reasoning to do so.

If you acknowledge that the tech field is skewed toward males, why exactly do you think that is? And why do you believe that a 50/50 split is not attainable/practical?

good I hope all libtards are fired

Infracted - Trolling
    Last edited by Gray_Matter; 2017-08-09 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

its their right surely but they are in the wrong. I think the biggest problem here is google has a vice president of "diversity" and i assume a president plus other positions. sounds like a huge waste of fucking money. i mean i can understand customer research on diversity blah blah blah but that isnt their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

I don't think anyone is arguing that Google didn't have the right to fire the man. They are arguing over how dumb of a move it was on their part... plus some side arguments that ignore Google completely and just debate the merits of diversity and such.

Which is good. God knows there aren't enough places to actually talk about this kind of stuff.

Considering how google has been the biggest innovator of technology for the last couple of decades, I find it funny that people are whining that they're hiring certain people "just to fill a quota". Apparently the people they hire for diversity's sake are FAR more qualified than most think.

But I get it, people see diversity pushes and think companies are hiring dunces. It's just that this almost never turns out to be true, and the people they hire are perfectly qualified.

I also get a chuckle from the fact that so many of the people who are bitching about this, are the same people who whenever a business fucks over a customer or employee because they're gay (or whatever other form of discrimination the deplorables think is perfectly fine), are now super dooper pissed. Whatever happened to "the free market will fix it!" I take it that line is only valid when discriminating against gays and minorities?
    google is the same as every company, with 10% of the staff doing 50% of the work. but hey if it makes you feel better you can tell yourself its the "diverse" staff that makes up that 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Except that's not where the data is coming from, and no conclusions are being drawn about the women Google is already hiring. This is about initiatives that are being put forth to increase the number of women going into STEM fields through scholarships, youth outreach programs, etc.
    On the subject of these initiatives. Just as it is harmful to tell a group to stay away from a field, isn't it also artificial to try to alter people's natural career preferences? In other words, let's say women flat out do not want to be in the physical sciences (hypothetical, I am not claiming this), would you still be in favor of trying to get more women into these fields? Just wondering if you believe in the possibility that in general, different groups of people may inevitably gravitate towards innate preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    its their right surely but they are in the wrong. I think the biggest problem here is google has a vice president of "diversity" and i assume a president plus other positions. sounds like a huge waste of fucking money. i mean i can understand customer research on diversity blah blah blah but that isnt their job.
    Apparently that person is getting paid a million dollars a year on top of that. But I just heard that, can't confirm it with a source.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    Which is meaningless when the pushes have really only been in the last ~5 years. With thing like the $500m they are throwing at 'diversity initiatives'.
    Have you simply not been paying attention? In a coma for the last couple of decades?

Ever since the "search engine wars", google has come out on top and has been innovating non stop.

And even assuming what you say is true, their diversity initiative is more recent. If their major innovations have been happening since they've started their diversity initiative, that seems to speak for itself.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Farrarie View Post
    good I hope all libtards are fired
    Guess who the employers are.

Good luck in your career.

Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    funny cause i would think the people that act like high school children would be the jocks and "cool" people from high school. you know the ones that go to clubs and get wasted nightly. party and have min wage jobs but want money like the rest of us. its pretty obvious the writer is not who she claims to be or thinks watching football is more fun than star trek... which explains why shes bad at her job

Have you simply not been paying attention? In a coma for the last couple of decades?

Ever since the "search engine wars", google has come out on top and has been innovating non stop.

And even assuming what you say is true, their diversity initiative is more recent. If their major innovations have been happening since they've started their diversity initiative, that seems to speak for itself.
    They haven't been particularly innovative though. It is why things like Google+ were such disastrous failures and they have been going out of their way to buy as much of the competition as possible.

Further, it is notable because they have numerous lawsuits against them as is because of the lack of representation. Much of which has been going through litigation hell. Not much different than the Ellen Pao dumbshitter.

More food for thought...an interview with the guy himself. He definitely doesn't seem like some kind of monster to me. VERY young.

https://youtu.be/TN1vEfqHGro

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    funny cause i would think the people that act like high school children would be the jocks and "cool" people from high school. you know the ones that go to clubs and get wasted nightly. party and have min wage jobs but want money like the rest of us. its pretty obvious the writer is not who she claims to be or thinks watching football is more fun than star trek... which explains why shes bad at her job
    Just another SRS retard. You should read the rest of her replies in that thread, they are gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    I was less responding to your claim of layoff, and more to the section of Torto's quote that you bolded. You state that Mr. Damore expressed the idea that "women are biologically unsuitable for certain technical roles" in his memo, which influences me to believe that you either had not read the aforementioned memo, or that you misinterpreted it.

With this affirmation that you have read Mr. Damore's memo, I know now the latter of my beliefs is truth.
    I rephrased it to remove any ambiguity: it is not that one statement but rather the entire contents and sheer existence of the manifesto that is a guaranteed see you later from a HR perspective.

It really doesn't matter what shitlords on the internet think of the merits of his arguments. You dispute diversity and friendly workplace policies, especially publically, and you are getting shitcanned. Anyone who works in any professional organisation I've ever been a part of knows this.

This guy spends too much time on the internet and (let's be honest) is a bit shortchanged in the social skills department.

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    More food for thought...an interview with the guy himself. He definitely doesn't seem like some kind of monster to me. VERY young.

https://youtu.be/TN1vEfqHGro
    I am waiting for one that isn't with the douche canoe Molyneux.