Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

Russia: Americans Now Support Containment over Cooperation

From: https://www.thechicagocouncil.org/pu...content=report

Tl;DR

- 2016: 58% in favour of cooperating and 39 % pro US should aim to contain Russia
    - 2017: 53% let's limit Russia's influence, 43% say no, let's be pals

- 41% support maintaining sanctions against Russia, 38% support increasing them
    - more Americans consider the military power of Russia to be a critical threat. 2017: 42%, up from 23% in 2002

- Americans more willing to defend NATO Baltic allies if Russia were to invade
    - slim majority now favor sending US troops to defend Latvia, Lithuania or Estonia (52%)
    - a growing minority of Americans favor sending US troops if Russia invades the rest of Ukraine (from 31% in 2015 to 39% in 2017)

Vell, let'z zee how thoze numbers will look like, after we are prezented zhe findings of Herrn Muellers work.

10+ Year Old Account
    containment never really worked historically

Cooperation has worked, but the circumstances have been different.

7+ Year Old Account
    Russia doesn't want to be our friend. Putting aside the problem of becoming best buddies with a regime that's been known to kill or incarcerate journalists, political opponents and protesters, even if we ignore literally all of that, Russia does not want to be our friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    Russia doesn't want to be our friend. Putting aside the problem of becoming best buddies with a regime that's been known to kill or incarcerate journalists, political opponents and protesters, even if we ignore literally all of that, Russia does not want to be our friend.
    That isn't the right wording. Putin doesn't want to be our friend.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    That isn't the right wording. Putin doesn't want to be our friend.
    Putin is a dictator so until he dies my point still stands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    containment never really worked historically

Cooperation has worked, but the circumstances have been different.
    It worked for Western Europe.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    Russia wanted to be a partner. But US knows only vassals or enemies, and nothing else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    It worked for Western Europe.
    No, you couldn't contain Western Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Russia wanted to be a partner. But US knows only vassals or enemies, and nothing else.
    Question: Do they pay you in rubles or U.S. dollars?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    Question: Do they pay you in rubles or U.S. dollars?
    The payment is in rubles ofc, but dependent on dollar exchange rate, the higher, the better, because the production is exported (mostly to Germany and China). Or do you mean the agitation and propaganda? Nah, I do it for free, for the glory of Putin, of course.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Russia cannot be an equal partner to the US or to the EU because it's economy and population don't allow it. It can be a junior partner but it has never shown any interest in accepting that fact.
    "Junior partner" means vassal. For some reason, China, which is more powerful than EU, does accept Russia as a partner without showing bossy colonial attitude. Which is why Russia will force its terms in Europe until EU swallows (and apparently EU lacks leverage to do anything about it), and make deals in Asia to mutual benefit.

Is that why China accepted the energy agreement, after the price went far below what you asked before Ukraine? But it's cute that you swallow the PR campaign whenever Putin is photographed with jinping.

Not sure what the Russians expected tbh, I know Haven thought that they'd be best buddies with the US all of a sudden, simply because the orange was in charge.

Furthermore, the label "vassal state" is retarded, the US and most European countries are allied, ofcourse military assistance is provided, you can honestly call the US a vassal state to Poland, because they provide military assistance, just as Russia is a vassal state to China
    Last edited by Crispin; 2017-08-09 at 11:27 AM.

If Russia had stayed out of Georgia, Crimea, and had not interfered in our election then maybe they could be treated like adults but if you act like a child you get sent to your room like one. Instead of diversifying the Russian economy Putin got Russia deeper in bed with oil so big shock when the price dropped from $125 to $50 their economy went into a severe recession.

Only reason Putin is still in charge is because he owns every media outlet and has his competition killed or locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Is that why China accepted the energy agreement, after the price went far below what you asked before Ukraine? But it's cute that you swallow the PR campaign whenever Putin is photographed with jinping.
    Actually they signed agreement BEFORE price went far below; get your facts straight.

Agreement was signed in Summer 2014, price started to go down by November/December.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    If Russia had stayed out of Georgia, Crimea, and had not interfered in our election then maybe they could be treated like adults but if you act like a child you get sent to your room like one. Instead of diversifying the Russian economy Putin got Russia deeper in bed with oil so big shock when the price dropped from $125 to $50 their economy went into a severe recession.
    Recession that would happen regardless of oil drop; it has more with underinvestment in Russia while free-riding on spare capacity left over from USSR - spare capacity that ran out.

Only reason Putin is still in charge is because he owns every media outlet and has his competition killed or locked up.
    Only reason Putin is still in charge is because noone has any better plan - actual plan, not "Putin goes out, everything get magically solved, ponies and rainbows for everyone".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    If Russia had stayed out of Georgia, Crimea, and had not interfered in our election then maybe they could be treated like adults but if you act like a child you get sent to your room like one.
    We have the guns and we do what we want. What? We just copy after US. Be grateful we haven't nuked someone in the name of freedom.

I do not support oppression wrought by authoritarian regimes, so I do not support Russia's government. There is no reason to cooperate with those who seek to oppress innocent people.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Only reason Putin is still in charge is because noone has any better plan - actual plan, not "Putin goes out, everything get magically solved, ponies and rainbows for everyone".
    Wait, what?! Everyone knows once Big Bad Boss is out, it's happy end!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I do not support oppression wrought by authoritarian regimes, so I do not support Russia's government. There is no reason to cooperate with those who seek to oppress innocent people.
    It's only okay if you do it to Arabs in their own homes. You can kill them in droves, too, no one's getting mad about it.

Wait, what?! Everyone knows once Big Bad Boss is out, it's happy end!

- - - Updated - - -

It's only okay if you do it to Arabs in their own homes. You can kill them in droves, too, no one's getting mad about it.
    When did I say I supported such things? Does that mean I get to blame you for every time Putin murdered people? I hate to break it to you, not everyone is their government.

Deleted
    China, which is more powerful than EU
    Is not. France alone could eat them for lunch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    When did I say I supported such things?
    Every time you said there's a dictator at large and people "in need of saving". Because that's what it always means when Americans "help the oppressed fight against tyranny".
    Does that mean I get to blame you for every time Putin murdered people? I hate to break it to you, not everyone is their government.
    Look at you, now are you gonna say not everyone who doesn't think Putin is Satan Hitler is a paid troll... Nah, that's too much to ask. Just like proof that Putin murdered someone.