Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

Long but worthwhile doc to watch on rise of advertisement in 20th century
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Advertisement is only going to get more and more integrated into our daily lives. The interesting part is when companies like google experiment with native ad-blocking on all their browsers and mobile platforms.

I've always had a feeling Google was using advertisement dollars to get big enough to close the gate for others to follow, especially with the new FCC chairman trying to allow ISPs the capacity to sell users private data legally.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

You either have to deal with advertisements, or pay more for everything for which you see advertisements on. For the most part people prefer adds over paying more for things, which is why we have adds. Perhaps you'd prefer to pay $2-$5 a month for each of your favorite websites. Don't like adds on tv, are you willing to pay significantly more for television? Some websites are going to an option of a pay for an add free experience, i'm guessing very few people take that option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    Then the fault lies with you for no seeking medical advice at the pharmacy or asking someone at home depot.

And I've yet to see any ad for those products, you know very well most of them are just promoting different brands of the same car.
    For each actual new product there are 10 different car or perfume commercials
    Sure, new cars with features they are telling people about. They also have commercials for lots of new products available at places like Rona on TV.

New cars are still new products, even if they're made by established manufacturers.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I simply have no words to describe how infuriated I have grown to become with most forms of advertisement.

And I refuse to believe that mankind, in all its grandeur and ingeniosity, is not able to find a sustainable way to fuel the creative process of its members without ressorting to it.

It has grown to the point where I will completely close my eyes and cover my ears if I am subjected to any form of unavoidable ad because they are nothing to me but an attempt to hijack our primitive brain functions with manipulation and deceit, in order to sell bullshit we don't need.

I don't own a TV, I have multiple adblockers on every platform I use and still, sometimes, ads find a mean to ruin my day by unsollicited exposition in one form or another.

Even street ads are an absolute nuisance. Who decided it was ok to put them in public space in the first place ? You're basically selling the right to put annoying and manipulative pictures in front of other people's eyes and they have no say in it ?

Fuck that, brave people have decided it was enough and i hope we'll see more of that in the future :
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ban-billboards

Replace them with art or just leave the walls blank.

You can't say you're against propaganda/government agitprop and think ads are ok. It's exactly the same thing, they just promote consumerism rather than political ideologies.
    do you know whats going to happen if you get rid of ads? do you know what would happen if everyone used an adblocker?

the content you enjoy, your favorite tv shows, movies, books, video games, they will BECOME the ads. you think product placement is bad now?

wait until entire episodes of shows revolve around a character buying an iphone.

because thats whats going to happen if you keep down this road. they WILL give us the ads whether we like it or not, if enough people block them one way they will simply deliver them to us a different way, they hold too much power and money to do so otherwise. almost everything entertainment wise now relies on sponsors and investments.

there will be the occasional patreon and ala carte type entertainment but i vastly prefer paying one price (or no price) to get all of the content i want.

pretty soon were going to have to start paying more for less all because people like you cant stand to see a 10 second ad before a free video
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Sure, new cars with features they are telling people about. They also have commercials for lots of new products available at places like Rona on TV.

New cars are still new products, even if they're made by established manufacturers.
    News products which are not merely advertised to people in need to replace faulty items rather than aggressively marketed as symbols of social status or perceived need

That's like rule 101 of that field, you don't solve problems you create imaginary needs

10+ Year Old Account
    News products which are not merely advertised to people in need to replace faulty items rather than aggressively marketed as symbols of social status or perceived need

That's like rule 101 of that field, you don't solve problems you create imaginary needs
    Not everything is going to be invented to directly replace a faulty item rather than simply provide an alternative one, so why would they ever be marketed that way? A newer fancier fridge doesn't make an older fridge less functional, it just provides a higher end option. A small, eco-friendly fridge doesn't make a big fancy fridge less functional, it just provides a different option.

Does marketing prey on the weak-willed and weak-minded? Sure. Does anyone with half a brain and the ability to think for themselves give two shits? Not at all.

And, like I said before, generations of people for thousands of years have been complaining about "those damn advertisements". There's graffiti in Herculaneum and Pompeii to prove it. It's nothing new, it's not limited to the 21st Century, and you need to chill.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    do you know whats going to happen if you get rid of ads? do you know what would happen if everyone used an adblocker?

the content you enjoy, your favorite tv shows, movies, books, video games, they will BECOME the ads. you think product placement is bad now?

wait until entire episodes of shows revolve around a character buying an iphone.

because thats whats going to happen if you keep down this road. they WILL give us the ads whether we like it or not, if enough people block them one way they will simply deliver them to us a different way, they hold too much power and money to do so otherwise. almost everything entertainment wise now relies on sponsors and investments.

there will be the occasional patreon and ala carte type entertainment but i vastly prefer paying one price (or no price) to get all of the content i want.

pretty soon were going to have to start paying more for less all because people like you cant stand to see a 10 second ad before a free video
    Then that system is bad and should be changed

I am perfectly aware of the role they fulfill but I'll have you know the only people benefiting from that scheme are producers rather than actual content creators, who more often than not absolutely despise the constraints associated with advertising

You think it brings variety when the truth is precisely the opposite, why do you think HBO has lewd and swearing and others chains don't ? Its because hbo isn't ad supported

When ad revenues are threatened the producers will always put their veto on creative freedom rather than risk losing $$
    heck even YouTube has similar problems and regularly changes its monetization policy to discourage its creators from airing ad unfriendly content

Kickstarter/Patreon are a good substitute for the advertisement model.

if your product requires exposition to be bought then it was not needed in the first place
    Literally Regressive Left.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    Literally Regressive Left.
    Thank you for your high quality input demonstrating elevated levels of political reasoning and a genuine love of argumentation

I simply have no words to describe how infuriated I have grown to become with most forms of advertisement.

And I refuse to believe that mankind, in all its grandeur and ingeniosity, is not able to find a sustainable way to fuel the creative process of its members without ressorting to it.

It has grown to the point where I will completely close my eyes and cover my ears if I am subjected to any form of unavoidable ad because they are nothing to me but an attempt to hijack our primitive brain functions with manipulation and deceit, in order to sell bullshit we don't need.

I don't own a TV, I have multiple adblockers on every platform I use and still, sometimes, ads find a mean to ruin my day by unsollicited exposition in one form or another.

Even street ads are an absolute nuisance. Who decided it was ok to put them in public space in the first place ? You're basically selling the right to put annoying and manipulative pictures in front of other people's eyes and they have no say in it ?

Fuck that, brave people have decided it was enough and i hope we'll see more of that in the future :
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ban-billboards

Replace them with art or just leave the walls blank.

You can't say you're against propaganda/government agitprop and think ads are ok. It's exactly the same thing, they just promote consumerism rather than political ideologies.

Meh, if advertising is your biggest issue, you don't have much of a problem.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Thankfully we have plenty of tools to remove all forms of advertisement from our daily lives. I detest anyone who works in advertising or sales. I truly do. They're nothing but people who are trying to indoctrinate me into thinking they're selling a product that I need. Like viruses, trying to find their way into our body, to defeat our bodily defenses, and to bend us to their will.

Cold calling salespeople especially. I can't even imagine what kind of a monster you'd have to be to do that kind of work.

I do enjoy the irony of the OP complaining about advertisements, whilst having a logo for antifa for his avatar. I can also say the same thing about spamming multiple threads in a single day.

I guess the OP never bothered to purchase a mirror.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Meh, if advertising is your biggest issue, you don't have much of a problem.
    Never said it was the biggest

10+ Year Old Account
    Add to this I am just loving the stupid advertising videos on this site that play without me clicking on them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I do enjoy the irony of the OP complaining about advertisements, whilst having a logo for antifa for his avatar.
    He's not peddling some useless junk products to push more consumerism and keep filling the landfills while wasting finite resources.

Anything that's anti-fascist is fine with me. When people in the U.S. finally realize neo-fascism is the system we have (Hedges calls it inverted totalitarianism) they might start getting real.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    He's not peddling some useless junk products to push more consumerism and keep filling the landfills while wasting finite resources.

Sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post

Anything that's anti-fascist is fine with me. When people in the U.S. finally realize neo-fascism is the system we have (Hedges calls it inverted totalitarianism) they might start getting real.
    I'm simply pointing out his hypocrisy.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem isn't with advertising in general, it's just that companies get more annoying for clicks/eyeballs which make people block them out, which then makes them get ever more annoying. It's a vicious cycle.