Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    You make it sound like autistic people have some sort of super power where they're smarter than the average person. If autistic people were truly an "evolution" of our species then we are doomed. Could you imagine a world where people can't even communicate with each other properly? How would that be evolution? Wouldn't that be devolution?
    Plenty of normies can't communicate and cooperate properly. The world has been doomed many times at the hands of normies.

Plenty of Autists, can and actually take greater steps to understand social rules than normies because they feel that they need to make an effort.

Whilst Autism is not some "superhuman" condition, it's also not a diagnosis of doom by default. The spectrum is very broad.

You encounter antisocial behaviour? Chances are, you've encountered a normie whom can't even blame neurological disability for his behaviour.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-08-09 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post

Thankfully I had three different psychologists (two clinical, one a Forensic Neuropsychologist) test me with about ~20 hours of testing, including talking with my Mother/SO/Friends, and a full IQ test, etc...

There was a part of me that was in denial about it... I did not see how I was acting until it was pointed out... so... for me at least, there was no misdiagnosis.
    Same. I was in strong denial, but I couldn't dismiss the evidence and the physical issues I've struggled with all my life, such as balance and hypersensitivity in smell, sight and hearing and even in my skin.

The problem is that all the people wanting to blame their shit on Autism, hollow it out and makes others question "is it real at all...?", seeing as how "they know someone claiming to have Autism who wasn't diagnosed" or something like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Fist off no that isn't true, or at least no more for people with autism than it would be for YOU. Human beings by in large even the most robust are NOT naturally fucking inclined to survive in a "NATURAL" environment.

Hunter's use rifles they don't specifically create themselves, they don't create all the technology that goes along with killing and storing meat either, and without some sort of refrigerator unit, your average fucking hunter has almost zero ability to live off the land alone.

Not without pretty significant assistance from the modern world whether that is recognized or not. There is a reason there are reality game shows where survivalist can't survive in reality on their own without a camera crew.
    Humans Are naturally included to survive in a natural environment. You are letting current, modern days cloud what you think humans can achieve. Humans used to create their Own weapons, their Own food, their Own homes and clothing. Humans can learn to survive without technology. We did so for hundreds of years. The only reason that hunters today don't know a lot about how to live off the land is because technology has made it a skill that is not typically taught or learned. Its the same way for survivor reality shows. They don't have those skills ingrained in them because they were not surviving in the wild from a young age. They have always had technology to survive. They have to Learn those skills.

Evolution as a whole is about species adapting to survive in their habitat. Humans went with brains and developed tools to help them. Autistic people wouldn't be able to do that. Social interaction goes a long way towards progressing and they are incapable of interacting a lot of the time on a normal level.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Absomal View Post
    You're correct. I was wrong about that, I apologize.

But it seems that you do agree that they gain incredible traits as a trade-off and advanced technology has allowed them to finally survive without the help of neurotypical humans?
    No. Technology is not at that level yet. Until everything can be 100% automated and they can ignore every other human, they can't survive. Even then, forget reproducing.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

No. Technology is not at that level yet. Until everything can be 100% automated and they can ignore every other human, they can't survive. Even then, forget reproducing.
    Plenty of people on the Autism spectrum, have relationships and reproduce and lead perfectly normal lives.

So... And everything's not "100% automated", yet we survive just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you think that people with Autism are evolved Humans?
    As in, more evolved than the standard model? No. Not unless the environment they inhabit changes into one where Autism gives a greater advantage than disadvantage. At the moment, that is not the case.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    And much of the reason why there has been such an explosion in autism diagnoses is because it has become the new catch all. Much like ADHD used to be.
    Or people were literally unaware that it exists and never visited a doctor. If there is something wrong with you all your life you might think it's normal.

I am sure autism has existed since forever, but I do not see it as a step up in evolution, sure some autists are geniuses but those also appear hyper focused and while they are almost super human in their narrow field of expertise their skills and pretty much all other aspects are rather lacking. If it were truly at step up they wouldn't have so many flaws and so few strong points and then on the other side of the coin you have people who can't even perform simple day to day tasks.

Now of course those are the extremes of the spectrum, plenty of people live normal lives despite having autism
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2017-08-09 at 05:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    Cavemen bashed the heads of their children open to eat their brains and raped each other regularly.
    Maybe you should do some actual research before spewing fake news (except for the rape part, we've been raping each other ever since we came into existence).
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I think you're talking about Asperger Syndrome (which is on the Autism spectrum).
    Many different 'types' of Autism, so I wouldn't generalise.

It is not so much the intelligence itself. There are plenty smart NT's. It is that their perspective is very different. And allows for paradigm shifts faster.

Most NT's are wired for social interaction normally this is a good thing. But when we live in a hyperconnected world it becomes an issue. As we see in the modern age with groupthink, information bubbles, and in and out groups (Us vs Them) growing exponentially.

People that have HFA tend to have a less static image of their identity. And are not as prone to group think... which is why they are said to "think outside the box".

With technology and AI becoming more prevalent in society, people that are less prone to stereotype and lump others, and have less of a static image of themselves can, and are embracing things like transhumanism faster than NT's.
    Interesting, I admittedly don't know a whole about the spectrum aside from that it has two extremes and a middle ground which is where I assume is where most people with higher functioning autism is located. I may very well be wrong and come across as a complete idiot but it does atleast give me a new perspective I didn't think of before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Plenty of people on the Autism spectrum, have relationships and reproduce and lead perfectly normal lives.

So... And everything's not "100% automated", yet we survive just fine.
    Actually, not really no. Here is an interesting read for you: https://www.theguardian.com/tmi/2016...and-employment

Few tidbits:

Under 16% of those with autism have full time work. 16% have at least part time work, which is an increase since the last study. However, this leads to the fact that less then 1/3rd have any type of work. So sadly, while there are some, its no where near what I would call plenty.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you mean people that are "low" functioning. I make 6 figures, own a home/car and married.
    By all statistical accounts, you are in the minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Whilst it's likely part of evolution it not the successful element to evolve and win you need to be capable of surviving and reproducing. Autism makes both those a hell of a lot more difficult.

Also just to poke fun at your post:

I believe that people with Autism have been around since the start of time.
    So they predate the formation of the solar system, impressive most impressive.

But now their numbers are growing, advanced technology has allowed them to thrive. I believe that Autistic people are actually evolved humans designed to merge with advanced technology to take us into the future. They no longer need social interaction, they focus on logic and reason to make their decisions which is extremely beneficial to a society where technology is improving and knowledge is expanding.
    So you've played the Mass Effect 2 DLC.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Evolution is when a species adapts to survive. Lets face it. Without technology, and without other humans aid, they wouldn't survive. Most of them would die long before adulthood. It matters not that they gain incredible traits in some regards. They are not evolved humans when, without technology or other humans, they wouldn't survive.
    In the wild you are correct in a world of technology we can excel beyond normal folks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    There's this movement were some with autism consider themselves further along the evolutionary scale than normies.

But there is a temporary cure for autism with a machine called transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). After undergoing this many autistic people become normies for a time. If it was evolutionary how can there be a cure? You can't cure an elephant's trunk.

http://www.newsweek.com/2015/10/02/b...nt-374216.html
    You can replicate many traits normally not found with outside intererence see medications among other things.

But I agree with those saying mutation but we must also remember evolution is mutations that become beneficial which in a tech based society some forms if autism certainly can be

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    People with high functioning autism often lack interest and skill in shallow endevours (gossiping type of socializing) and accustoming to traditions, but are often superior in logic and reasoning ability I'd say that's a reasonable suggestion in theory.

In practice they seem to struggle more in society.
    Yet amongst those like us we excel... if anything I feel like attempts to "help" or "cure" us actually do far more harm then good. Psychological side effects such as essentially saying "you are broken" and what that entails aside i feel many of them can trap us in a kind of limbo between normal and autistic or prevent us from excelling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    In the wild you are correct in a world of technology we can excel beyond normal folks
    16% of people with Autism have full-time work. I wouldn't say that is indicative of people with Autism being able to "excel beyond normal folks".

Actually, not really no. Here is an interesting read for you: https://www.theguardian.com/tmi/2016...and-employment

Few tidbits:

Under 16% of those with autism have full time work. 16% have at least part time work, which is an increase since the last study. However, this leads to the fact that less then 1/3rd have any type of work. So sadly, while there are some, its no where near what I would call plenty.

- - - Updated - - -

By all statistical accounts, you are in the minority.
    So having a full-time job is the only way to gauge how a human lives? That survey hasn't exactly asked every single person with Autism, including those undiagnosed with it.

And there are many MANY people with high functioning autism, that have never been diagnosed and are living perfectly normal lives with jobs and families. It's like some say, a diagnosis can be in equal parts a blessing and a curse.

Plenty of non-autists have difficulties coping in this our society as well. Doesn't automatically mean that everyone's as hapless as the myth says about Autism as a collective...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-08-09 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thesib View Post
    Devolved humans, maybe, particularly the ones further down the spectrum.
    There is no such thing as biological devolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    why kill the spider at all let it stay spiders are good they catch fly's and rarely bite humans. i have a few spiders i have gently relocated out of my way and let live to catch fly's
    How I react when my gf complains about bugs or spiders..I always am like "not hurting you why does it matter"

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    16% of people with Autism have full-time work. I wouldn't say that is indicative of people with Autism being able to "excel beyond normal folks".
    The study linked clearly shows that it's not due to people having Autism, but due to how the workplaces are shaped and the social aspects. That's very in line with everything I've seen in my years since getting the diagnosis. My issues with school were never about the intellectual parts, I excelled far beyond children of my age on those areas, but neurological and social aspects made it so that I had very little energy left for anything else.

Sorry, we still don't have some sort of "proof" that people with Autism are lesser on principle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I understand what you are getting at. I get your line of thinking, but I think you are missing a big piece. Autism is a mutation, a negative deviation from the norm. In the rare cases that Autism coincides in an individual of genius; that individual succeeds in spite of Autism, not because of it. The term high-functioning autistic doesn't mean they perform better than those workout autism. It means they perform better than those with Autism. Regardless of how successful they have become, their lives would potentially be better without having to struggle with Autism.

I would have gotten that job if I had Autism isn't a phrase that has ever been uttered.
    Mutation does not mean negative though it means welll a mutation a random difference

And frankly it is human social norms that give us difficulty not so much our own abilities or lack their of. Hell as I have said before amongst other autistic people we socialize flawlessly if only because we seem to have the same in built social values abd tendencies

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope /10chars

Edit: Okay I should probably clarify so I don't sound harsh, I've met very intelligent people who've been diagnosed as having autism and I've met very... simple and overly friendly people with the same. The latter is usually more open than the former about diverging that information and in both cases I haven't seen much evidence to point towards them being more advanced humans. So my answer is Nope.
    Last edited by Darknessvamp; 2017-08-09 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added reasoning
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity