QUESTION: Potential value in upgrading?

I've strongly been considering ditching my rig (see signature) for something new and potentially enthusiast. However, I haven't kept up to date on hardware for quite some time now. While I've been itching to build something new part of me questions the value in simply upgrading and holding out on a new rig.

To elaborate on that thought, I find myself able to still game somewhat competitively however I am now having to downgrade my graphics settings, resolution (native res is 2560x1440) and at times go that extra mile with config tweaks. Given example game, PUBG.

Additional note, I've strongly been considering picking up an FPS oriented 24" monitor. My current 27" monitor was amazing for some RPG titles and MMO's, but I find myself losing that competitive edge in PUBG and other FPS titles due to the sheer landscape and at times limited ability to tweak UI. More importantly though, I'm actually having difficulty viewing content in-game between native res and low graphics settings, or lower resolution and a mix/match of graphics settings. The only solution I can figure is to go to a quality 24" fps oriented monitor.

So there you have it. Is there any value in me upgrading my GPU and picking a 24" FPS monitor?

The thing really keeping me from taking that leap on a new rig is the strong possibility of being recalled for mobilization around this time next year. While I definitely have the money to spend, I'd hate to go all out only to find myself having to put it up in storage for a full year. However, I'm open to hearing thoughts on the topic.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

Really only need a new GPU. Youd see next to no performance increase going to a new CPU (which would necessitate new MoBo amd RAM as well) - the 3570K is still plenty solid. That GTX 670, though, is getting pretty long in the tooth.

A jump to a GtX 1060 6GB would see you doing 1440p at med-high settings, or a 1070 would see you comfortably at High/Ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Really only need a new GPU. Youd see next to no performance increase going to a new CPU (which would necessitate new MoBo amd RAM as well) - the 3570K is still plenty solid. That GTX 670, though, is getting pretty long in the tooth.

A jump to a GtX 1060 6GB would see you doing 1440p at med-high settings, or a 1070 would see you comfortably at High/Ultra.
    Agreed. Monitor and GPU are all you need. I wouldn't look at the 1060 though. Depending on budget, at least a 1070, probably more like a 1080 and if you want it to last a bit longer the 1080ti. Really depends on you budget. Here you can see how the 1070, 1080 1080ti and a OCed 1080ti perform in COD: Infinite Warfare. Keep in mind, you'll be able to tweak certain useless settings down and could get more FPS that these benchmarks show, but it does show the relative difference between them so you can make a more informed decision:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...tning_Z/9.html

So yeah, I say the 1080ti because, especially if you are planning on getting a new monitor, it's the only one that comes close to hitting 144FPS. You could realistically consider a 144hz Monitor and expect with the right setting to hit 144+FPS, which is better for FPS games.

So I did some light research, and some price checks.

The budget I decided on a GPU is around 450-550. The price difference between a gtx 1070 and gtx 1080 literally falls in that budget range.
    Here is the card that caught my eye based on that budget. (Huge plus, amazon prime shipping)

I'm still pretty interested in changing out my 27" 1440p monitor with an appropriate 24" 1080p monitor. My 27" was amazing for RPG like titles, terrible for FPS like titles.. but all around this monitor makes gaming uncomfortable in general now. My budget for a monitor is very much open given how high I prioritize a monitor as I view input(I meant interface) devices being critical, and monitors tend to last many years.

Given the GPU I am considering, gaming tastes and the fact that monitors tend to last quite some time.. I'm strongly considering the following 24.5" asus gsync monitor.

I'd love some input on these potential choices, especially from those more informed on monitors. Paging Remilia? (The one name I remember as far as someone informed on monitors)
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti