Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Is it okay to not want to be successful at all?

Sometimes I take a step back and look at the entirety of the American society and economic system and I just don't even want to be part of any of it. It is a system where maybe 10% at wealthy and 90% are struggling. Some will say that "that's because those 10% work hard and the other 90% are just lazy." However, that 90% accounts for hundreds of millions of people. Saying that all those people are not successful because they are lazy seems like a statistical impossibility to me. Which only leaves one conclusion, the system is rigged against you. In many situation in America you can work as smart or as hard as you want and the only person that is getting richer is your boss, CEO, company owner, and stock holders. Republicans continuously bitch and moan about wealth redistribution. They hate the idea that wealth from those who worked hard goes to those who are lazy. Well that is happening right now. Except it is reverse Robbin Hood. Wealth is going from the poorest and middle class to the richest. CEO's make practically 400 times more than the average worker, yet does anyone seriously believe that CEO's are working 400 times harder.

As far as I can see the cards are stacked against me to such a massive disadvantage that I don't even want to try anymore. It is the equivalent of starting a game of Monopoly but the other player already owns all the property, all the houses and hotels, and the bank. I don't want to play the game anymore. I am okay with being the unsuccessful low payed "loser" that works 10 times harder than his boss and actually contributes far more to society.

Personally I cannot see how anybody can be "proud" of what this nation really is because it is beyond my understanding.

90% of people are struggling while a select few hold massive amounts of our countries wealth and Americans fervently cheer about the U.S. being the "greatest nation in the world." Meanwhile I am over here like at a loss for words like...

Anyways, cheers to the unsung heroes that keep society intact because they are not bosses, not CEO's, not company owners, not shareholders, but common workers and they are neglected, underplayed, and frequently underappreciated.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2017-08-12 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Except it is reverse Robbin Hood. Wealth is going from the poorest and middle class to the richest. CEO's make practically 400 times more than the average worker, yet does anyone seriously believe that CEO's are working 400 times harder.

As far as I can see the cards are stacked against me to such a massive disadvantage that I don't even want to try anymore. It is the equivalent of starting a game of Monopoly but the other player already owns all the property, all the houses and hotels, and the bank. I don't want to play the game anymore. I am okay with being the unsuccessful low payed "loser" that works 10 times harder than his boss and actually contributes far more to society.

Oh the unsung heroes that keep society intact, the common worker.
    The CEO does not earn 400 times more than the average worker because he works 400 times harder, but because he makes decisions that can make or break the company's future. It is not wrong to say that he administers, and holds responsibility, for assets and values of said company literally thousands of times higher than what the average worker is responsible for.

That said, I am skeptical of the hypothesis that just raising wages to infinity ensure more competent leaders. Only up to a certain point (no CEOs will work for an average wage, given their responsibility) but I am skeptical of the hypothesis that a wage of 15 million USD per annum will result in a more competent CEO than, say, 1 million USD per annum. That is entirely speculation IMO. Reagan believed it. I don't.

To answer the question about success, I've been thinking myself. If the notion of success on the job market does not grant satisfaction, why persue it? It's not like one is accountable to others in this regard. And we're all going to the grave, beyound which we will not be able to bring our assets, earnings or CV. ;-)
    Last edited by Pengekaer; 2017-08-12 at 12:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to be equating success as only being achievable if you're rich or you're equating success as synonymous with being rich. Success is totally objective and it differs from person to person. You just need to be realistic about your lot in life then try your best to see how you can overcome that and whichever goals you hit along the way will be considered a success.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengekaer View Post
    The CEO does not earn 400 times more than the average worker because he works 400 times harder, but because he makes decisions that can make or break the company's future. It is not wrong to say that he administers, and holds responsibility, for assets and values of said company literally thousands of times higher than what the average worker is responsible for.

That said, I am skeptical of the hypothesis that just raising wages to infinity ensure more competent leaders. Only up to a certain point (no CEOs will work for an average wage, given their responsibility) but I am skeptical of the hypothesis that a wage of 15 million USD per annum will result in a more competent CEO than, say, 1 million USD per annum. That is entirely speculation IMO. Reagan believed it. I don't.
    Yet CEO's are not responsible at all. Thy can tank a company right into the ground and shareholders cannot sue them over it. CEO's are not held liable for the failure of the companies the lord over. That is stated in the contract. So much for having massive responsibilities.

Deleted
    You start existing. You exist. You stop existing.

What you did while you existed has absolutely no meaning whatsoever once you stop existing. The only time anything you do matters is while you still exist, and the only thing that typically does matter is making the time while you exist as fun and fulfilling a time as possible. Everything else is irrelevant. Being "successful" included.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

What you did while you existed has absolutely no meaning whatsoever once you stop existing. The only time anything you do matters is while you still exist, and the only thing that typically does matter is making the time while you exist as fun and fulfilling a time as possible. Everything else is irrelevant. Being "successful" included.
    While that's true for most people, there have been many people over the centuries that have made a lasting mark on the world and have changed the course of human history. What those people did or created had a lasting impact well beyond their deaths.

7+ Year Old Account

If you are searching for ultimate truth, then yes, your logic holds and nothing really matters. However, accepting and internalizing that belief leads to no progress. Why do anything if nothing matters.? So while what you said is probably harsh reality, it must be at least partly rejected to continue progress.

If progress means anything at all...
    Last edited by nanook12; 2017-08-12 at 12:18 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    While that's true for most people, there have been many people over the centuries that have made a lasting mark on the world and have changed the course of human history. What those people did or created had a lasting impact well beyond their deaths.
    Any "impact" on other people is irrelevant. Your point of view is all that matters. Once you stop existing, your point of view stops existing, and thus does all of existence itself.

You can only think of the future, and put yourself in other people's shoes while you do still exist, and so yeah, if doing that, thinking that way, is what gives you the fun and fulfillment, then go for it. Doing it for it's own sake, though, is pointless.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    True, but no one's impact will last forever. For example, Albert Einsteins theory of relativity did make an impact beyond his death, but eventually it will be replaced by something better and Einstein's memory will eventually be lost to the plane of nonexistence.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2017-08-12 at 12:20 AM.

Deleted
    What do you mean by is it ok? Obviously it is... most people will see you as a loser but it's not illegal so go for it, follow your dreams:P

But on a more serious note, the cards are not stacked against you, this is all BS, yes success is hard, it is for EVERYONE, no one owes you anything and you won't probably be the next Bill Gates no matter how hard you try. But! If you stop playing the victim and actually try, I guarantee you will be succcessful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    yes success is hard, it is for EVERYONE
    It can be easier for people who get small loans of a million dollars from their rich daddies.

As far as I can tell, both of my parents grew up poor. They both worked hard and they are no longer poor. My dad makes good money and my mother made decent money as well. My mother is now retired and I imagine my dad will retire in the near future as well.

Me? I've never really worked all that hard. I've never really pursued excellence. As a result, I don't make that much money. My girlfriend, despite being 9 years younger than me, makes waaaay more than I do. And I'm fine with that.

So, yeah, if you don't mind being poor or a burden then, by all means, do whatever you want. It's your life so you're the only one that gets to decide what to live for. Me? Well, I'm starting to realize that I want to work a little bit harder -- that I want to enjoy a little bit more success. So, that's what I'm going to do. Maybe it will work out, maybe not. Whatever happens, I'll have earned it.

Good luck.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs Just gonna leave this here. Always a great interpretation of what America is in my opinion.

Sometimes I take a step back and look at the entirety of the American society and economic system and I just don't even want to be part of any of it. It is a system where maybe 10% at wealthy and 90% are struggling. Some will say that "that's because those 10% work hard and the other 90% are just lazy." However, that 90% accounts for hundreds of millions of people. Saying that all those people are not successful because they are lazy seems like a statistical impossibility to me. Which only leaves one conclusion, the system is rigged against you. In many situation in America you can work as smart or as hard as you want and the only person that is getting richer is your boss, CEO, company owner, and stock holders. Republicans continuously bitch and moan about wealth redistribution. They hate the idea that wealth from those who worked hard goes to those who are lazy. Well that is happening right now. Except it is reverse Robbin Hood. Wealth is going from the poorest and middle class to the richest. CEO's make practically 400 times more than the average worker, yet does anyone seriously believe that CEO's are working 400 times harder.

Personally I cannot see how anybody can be "proud" of what this nation really is because it is beyond my understanding.

90% of people are struggling while a select few hold massive amounts of our countries wealth and Americans fervently cheer about the U.S. being the "greatest nation in the world." Meanwhile I am over here like at a loss for words like...

Anyways, cheers to the unsung heroes that keep society intact because they are not bosses, not CEO's, not company owners, not shareholders, but common workers and they are neglected, underplayed, and frequently underappreciated.
    Seems pretty easy to live day to day by not being obsessed with being unfathomably rich. Who cares if a CEO wipes his ass with millions of dollars if I can live comfortably with what I make? Assuming that people don't work hard because they make more to you, only makes you seem insecure and like you care much more than you let on. I'm not implying that everyone who is a "common worker" isn't lazy, only that you objectively have no proof that they are and to claim that they are regardless comes off as petty attempts to feel good about your own position. You have no idea what you're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

7+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean by is it ok? Obviously it is... most people will see you as a loser but it's not illegal so go for it, follow your dreams:P

But on a more serious note, the cards are not stacked against you, this is all BS, yes success is hard, it is for EVERYONE, no one owes you anything and you won't probably be the next Bill Gates no matter how hard you try. But! If you stop playing the victim and actually try, I guarantee you will be succcessful.
    I have tried. I have slaved myself for companies before in hopes that I would get a raise or promotion. I didn't get anything. I am not convinced hard work pays off in America. From what I can see the harder a person works in America the richer the company owner gets and that is all.

- - - Updated - - -

It can be easier for people who get small loans of a million dollars from their rich daddies.
    And then inherit 40 million when that same daddy dies.

I have tried. I have slaved myself for companies before in hopes that I would get a raise or promotion. I didn't get anything. I am not convinced hard work pays off in America. From what I can see the harder a person works in America the richer the company owner gets and that is all.

- - - Updated - - -

And then inherit 40 million when that same daddy dies.
    I don't disbelieve you, but to take that experience and apply it to everyone is stupid.
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

Deleted
    But thats the thing... I realized that when I was like 10. Dont work for companies, do your own thing, make your own game, write a book, start your own company.. hell even your own make up tutorial Youtube channel. Working for a fixed pay is never gonna pay off unless you're a highly sought after professional, like a specialized doctor or IT something something. Hard work is not the same as smart work.

7+ Year Old Account
    But thats the thing... I realized that when I was like 10. Dont work for companies, do your own thing, make your own game, write a book, start your own company.. hell even your own make up tutorial Youtube channel. Working for a fixed pay is never gonna pay off unless you're a highly sought after professional, like a specialized doctor or IT something something. Hard work is not the same as smart work.
    Yet the vast majority of Americans work for companies. We all can't be entrepreneurs, authors, youtubers, etc. The world simply wouldn't work that way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dequanacus View Post
    I don't disbelieve you, but to take that experience and apply it to everyone is stupid.
    Lol yes you do. You just don't want to come out and say it. However, I don't care. I don't need yours or anyone else's validation for my work ethic. I know I work harder than most.

Deleted
    Yet the vast majority of Americans work for companies. We all can't be entrepreneurs, authors, youtubers, etc. The world simply wouldn't work that way.
    Do they really? I mean like you have to be able to think outside the box a little. It is so easy to make money when you don't work for a company. Yea it also means you sometimes have to work 16h a day and nothing is guaranteed but this is just how it is. Most current billionaires had to go through the same thing, they just had really original ideas. But it's just the thing.. if you don't wanna take risks, if you have no skills, you probably wont make that much however if you do, it's not really that hard.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol yes you do. You just don't want to come out and say it. However, I don't care. I don't need yours or anyone else's validation for my work ethic. I know I work harder than most.
    You're only proving that you're making baseless assumptions about people by saying that. That's fine, but I'm saying you don't have any logic in what you're saying and going on about not needing the validation of others only emphasizes the whole insecure aspect of this I pointed out in you not having any proof to back up your emotionally driven accusations.
    Enjoy.