10+ Year Old Account

Question Any of these video cards good?

I don't need really high performance and don't care for running games on the highest settings.

Upgrading from a 9800GT 512MB so I imagine anything would be a decent upgrade...Let's just say I wanna be able to play WoW on a bit higher settings and get some good value out of a video card.

(Sale ends today. If they're not that good I can wait..)

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=107934

MSI GeForce GT 1030 LP 2GB OC
    1265 MHz Base/ 1518 MHz Boost, 6008 MHz Memory
    PCI-E 3.0, 1x HDMI, 1x DP

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=108059

GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 2GB Low Profile (GV-N1030D5-2GL)
    1252 MHz Base/ 1506 MHz Boost, 6008 MHz Memory
    PCI-E 3.0, 1x DVI-D, 1x HDMI

(I need low profile given my space. Power Supply is 600W)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814487290

runs off the pci-e slot no need for extra connectors.

the best value.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might dislike your news postings but I still wouldn't want you or anyone else to invest in a 1030.

Grab the 1050 like Jim said, at the least. Seriously! Anything less than a 1050 and you might as well throw your money in the dryer. Since you're not concerned with tip-top performance this will be a good fit, able to drive modern games with lowered settings AND it isn't a demanding card that would influence change elsewhere in your PC, like a new power supply, better cooling etc.

The 1050 is quite literally the perfect card for someone in your position.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    I might dislike your news postings but I still wouldn't want you or anyone else to invest in a 1030.

Grab the 1050 like Jim said, at the least. Seriously! Anything less than a 1050 and you might as well throw your money in the dryer. Since you're not concerned with tip-top performance this will be a good fit, able to drive modern games with lowered settings AND it isn't a demanding card that would influence change elsewhere in your PC, like a new power supply, better cooling etc.

The 1050 is quite literally the perfect card for someone in your position.
    I got it today so I will install it tonight and try out a couple games. You can be proud knowing @Tennisace took your advice.

From 9800GT to 1050? I assume your computer is very old in that case. Your CPU is very likely going to bottleneck newer cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    From 9800GT to 1050? I assume your computer is very old in that case. Your CPU is very likely going to bottleneck newer cards.
    That's what I tried to tell him in his other thread, but ha came and made this thread anyway. From the other thread, his CPU is a Intel Core2 Quad Q6600. So yeah, it's on an LGA 775 Board. He's not going to see much improvement, especially in his intended games(WoW, SCII, Civ6 and Cities Skylines) which are CPU heavy, with just a GPU upgrade. In fact, they'll probably still choke on his CPU and he'll likely get the same results he already does. But oh well, he ignored that advice and came and got the advice he wanted to get anyway.

Please, do come back and let us know how it worked out.