Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Brexit caused by low levels of education, study finds

It's only correlating to education, the people who have the most to lose to open immigration are working people, eg, plumbers, carpenters, factory workers, etc. These are the people most hurt by allowing free travel.

The highly educated don't seem to have the same problem because there usually are more jobs for them or people from other countries aren't as likely to compete with the educated for jobs, for example nurses and doctors don't seem to have trouble getting work.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7881441.html

Britain would have likely voted to remain in the European Union were its population educated to a slightly higher level, a new study has found.

Researchers at the University of Leicester say that had just 3 per cent more of the population gone to university, the UK would probably not be leaving the EU.

The researchers looked at reasons why people voted Leave and found that whether someone had been to university or accessed other higher education was the “predominant factor” in how they voted.

The paper, published in the peer-reviewed journal World Development, applied a multivariate regression analysis and logit model to areas of the country to identify why people voted the way they did.

The level of higher education in an area was far more important than age, gender, the number of immigrants, or income in predicting the way an area voted, the researchers found.

Age and gender were both significant but not as important as education level, the researchers found. Income and number of immigrants in an area were not found to be a significant factor in how people voted.

The researchers also found that a lower rate of turnout – by just 7 per cent – would also likely have changed the result to Remain.

The last Labour government set a target of half of young people accessing higher education and there has been a large expansion in numbers in recent decades. Universities UK says it expected the number of people in employment with higher education qualifications to have risen from 28.7 per cent in 2002 to 51.3 per cent in 2022

Dr Aihua Zhang, from the University of Leicester’s Department of Mathematics, said: “The EU referendum raised significant debate and speculation of the intention of the electorate and its motivations in voting. Much of this debate was informed by simple data analysis examining individual factors, in isolation, and using opinion polling data.

“This, in the case of the EU referendum where multiple factors influence the decision simultaneously, failed to predict the eventual outcome. On June 23rd 2016, Britain’s vote to leave the EU came as a surprise to most observers, with a bigger voter turnout – 72.2 per cent – than that of any UK general election in the past decade.”

British voters voted by 52 per cent to 48 per cent to leave the EU in a referendum held in June 2016.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    So what ? If People werent stupid they would actually vote for Stuff that HELPS them instead they Vote for Lobby Asslickers who are only Interested in making the Most for themselves

Why should this be any different ?

its time they leave already

Deleted
    They voted the wrong solution to a real problem

Just like Trump

Just like macron

Can't blame people from angrily lashing out when they feel threatened

Something didn't go my way? All the people who voted contrary to me are stupid and dumb!

is brexit the british version of 'make america great again'?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Something didn't go my way? All the people who voted contrary to me are stupid and dumb!
    Strange how people always get so defensive with these things

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Strange how people always get so defensive with these things
    Uh huh, pointing out the hypocrisy of people sure is getting defensive. Please, tell me more.

Wasn't the main issue that all those younger generations wanting to stay in the EU, didn't go out to vote...?

This sort of shit is why Swedish Democrats are growing. The issues and fears people have, are dismissed as "they're racist/uneducated/low-income scum class!!" by the upper classes living in their ivory towers in neighbourhoods containing only the same kind as them...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Uh huh, pointing out the hypocrisy of people sure is getting defensive. Please, tell me more.
    Hypocrisy? What hypocrisy are we exactly talking about here?

The people at the bottom said we aint got nothing to lose and we are tired of fighting for scraps with the poorest of Eastern Europe.

But those middle class remainers never saw the impact that uncontrolled immigration from the poorest countries in Europe had on the poorest communities in Britain.

A serious study conducted, parsed, and published in less than a year?

Sorry, I didn't realize that studies that are conducted like high school book reports were taken seriously nowadays.

The More you Know!

EDIT: I don't really like Brexit - just pointing out how stupid this is.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by trrujkgklg View Post
    The people at the bottom said we aint got nothing to lose and we are tired of fighting for scraps with the poorest of Eastern Europe.

But those middle class remainers never saw the impact that uncontrolled immigration from the poorest countries in Europe had on the poorest communities in Britain.
    Poles were either working minimum wage or illegally for much less, blame the employer for cutting corners or shame them.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Poles were either working minimum wage or illegally for much less, blame the employer for cutting corners or shame them.
    and what good would that ever do?

I was shocked to see just what an impact the Eastern europeans have on England...
    Tbf, I don't see how there can be any downsides for the natives to leave the EU. It's not like the EU wants to lose the trading with UK.

So the rich want slaves?

Deleted
    and what good would that ever do?
    Shaming the cunts employing illegally is never a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    A serious study conducted, parsed, and published in less than a year?

Sorry, I didn't realize that studies that are conducted like high school book reports were taken seriously nowadays.

The More you Know!

EDIT: I don't really like Brexit - just pointing out how stupid this is.

Why do you think it would take more than a couple of days to correlate regional election results with average education levels by region, both of which would be publicly available data? (Didn't read the article, don't know what approach they used, but there are dozens of ways to do it quickly based on public info.)

Barnes & Noble is like "Omgz, I hates teh Amazorns, using teh computorz iz cheating."

It's 2017, not 1977.

Is this just the left saying in a convoluted way that the brexit voters are dumb? Seriously the pro EU supporters are worse than the neverTrumpers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Is this just the left saying in a convoluted way that the brexit voters are dumb? Seriously the pro EU supporters are worse than the neverTrumpers.
    No it is more likely an indication that the EU isn't sufficiently aidful for the lower income classes and/or uneducated/lesser educated, and that is thing that the EU will need to address if they don't want other nations to leave as well.

It is also an indication of the current climate in the UK of course, the UK having quite the issue with wealth distribution and inequality in pursuits of higher standards of living. Some of which is on the UKs own shoulders, some of it on the EU.

I'll note again, people are quite defensive of these things, and it is certainly interesting to see

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Wasn't the main issue that all those younger generations wanting to stay in the EU, didn't go out to vote...?
    Anecdotal evidence sure but I know that out of my group of 50 or so people that I see / speak to regularly only 4 of us actually bothered to vote in the referendum (and around the same in any election tbh). I can only imagine that it was pretty similar all around the country...