10+ Year Old Account

Need opinions on noise-cancelling devices

I need em for sleeping, not for having great tunes. https://www.amazon.com/Noise-Cancell.../b?node=509318

That top best seller looks like they might work, but I was hoping for something a little bit more compact, since I'd be laying down with them. Also, I'd like to know if noise-cancelling just means "you can hear the music better" or "actually cancels outside noises".

Sleeping with headphones on is uncomfortable as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Sleeping with headphones on is uncomfortable as hell.
    Yes, it very much is. But I cannot otherwise sleep well without some way to eliminate noise. I've tried earbuds. They don't help and they fall out during the night anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Yes, it very much is. But I cannot otherwise sleep well without some way to eliminate noise. I've tried earbuds. They don't help and they fall out during the night anyway.
    Have you tried earplugs that expand? You compress them, put them in and then they expand in the ear. Blocks out noise effectively and they don't fall out because of expanding.

7+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried a fan on?

I always sleep with a fan on, it does a good job being the only source of "noise" in my room and keeps it peaceful.

It might sound terribly cliche, but, teach yourself to tune out/ignore any noises during sleep. I don't think I'd ever get any sleep if I hadn't managed it. I can still hear mostly everything during sleep, but I can ignore what I hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried earplugs that expand? You compress them, put them in and then they expand in the ear. Blocks out noise effectively and they don't fall out because of expanding.
    See a review for someone with my issue say these work https://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietCom...2466663&sr=1-3

But jesus fuck, 250 bucks...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    It might sound terribly cliche, but, teach yourself to tune out/ignore any noises during sleep. I don't think I'd ever get any sleep if I hadn't managed it. I can still hear mostly everything during sleep, but I can ignore what I hear.
    I guess I should mention I'm a severely light sleeper.

Noise cancelling actually emits a noise that causes destructive interference canceling out all sound. They are bulky and would be hard to sleep with. Ear plugs are cheaper.

See a review for someone with my issue say these work https://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietCom...2466663&sr=1-3

But jesus fuck, 250 bucks...
    I was talking about these things: http://www.earplugstore.com/radians-...efill-500.html

I guess I should mention I'm a severely light sleeper.
    So am I. The only child of 4 that is. Probably inherited it from my grandmom, as she's exactly the same about it, while no one else is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I need em for sleeping, not for having great tunes. https://www.amazon.com/Noise-Cancell.../b?node=509318

That top best seller looks like they might work, but I was hoping for something a little bit more compact, since I'd be laying down with them. Also, I'd like to know if noise-cancelling just means "you can hear the music better" or "actually cancels outside noises".
    Noise cancelling is useless.

Get soft ear plugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, the foam things.

Huh.

Ok, that's worth a shot.

10+ Year Old Account

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PLANTRONI...HONES/40694859

Best noise canceling headphones i've ever used.

The Advanced Noise Canceling switch really really works. Without it turned on, it cancels noises, but if you speak you can still hear yourself talk. Flip that switch, and you are deaf. Completely and utterly deaf. It's pretty amazing to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Noise cancelling is useless.

Get soft ear plugs.
    I challenge you to try these headphones. I've never been convinced either, until I tried these.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/PLANTRONI...HONES/40694859

Best noise canceling headphones i've ever used.

The Advanced Noise Canceling switch really really works. Without it turned on, it cancels noises, but if you speak you can still hear yourself talk. Flip that switch, and you are deaf. Completely and utterly deaf. It's pretty amazing to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

I challenge you to try these headphones. I've never been convinced either, until I tried these.
    I will keep that in mind, and see if we have them in store first (doubtful though).

10+ Year Old Account
    I will keep that in mind, and see if we have them in store first (doubtful though).
    I picked up a pair on Amazon last year for my g/f's bday. I have on many occasion scared the crap out of her simply by walking up behind her. Standing there for several minutes, calling her name, only to eventually tap her on the shoulder. She would jump and scream because she had no clue there was anyone around her.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I have the QuietComfort over-ear headphones and the noise cancelling is amazing. It works extremely well - but I mostly use them on flights, I can't imagine they'd be good to sleep in. Soft foam ear plugs, or the pine tree-style earplugs are likely your best bet.