Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool 3 out of the top 5 most livable cities in the world are in Canada

Latest rankings just out.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/vancouv...ties-1.3548085

Three Canadian cities ranked among the top 10 in this year's list of the world's most livable cities, while Melbourne held on to top spot for a seventh year in a row.

Analysts at The Economist's Intelligence Unit released the 2017 edition of their Global Liveability Report, which ranks 140 cities based on their quality of life across five broad categories: stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education, and infrastructure.

Over the last seven years, the list of the top five cities has changed little, aside from a few percentage points narrowing or broadening the gap between the top performers.

For example, this year, only a 0.1 percentage point separates Melbourne from its nearest rival, Vienna.

After Vienna, Vancouver and Toronto are ranked third and fourth on the list, followed by Calgary and Adelaide, which share the fifth spot.

This year's list saw 44 cities get bumped or promoted on the index, be it for falling crime rates, increased terror threats, instability, or increased tourist activity.

Analysts point to an ongoing trend over the last few years in which several U.S. cities have registered declines in their scores due to growing civil unrest related to the number of police-related deaths of black Americans, and the divisive policies of U.S. President Donald Trump.

Sydney, too, has fallen from seventh to 11th place this year, falling out of the top 10 list mostly due to growing concerns of terror threats.

Repeated terror attacks in France and the U.K., the ongoing migration crisis, and Brexit have likewise lowered stability scores across Europe.

The two European cities to buck this trend are Reykjavik and Amsterdam, which registered improvements thanks to their growing popularity among tourists and falling crime rates.

Overall, analysts say that a closer look at the top-scoring cities reveals a few important commonalities: top performers tend to be mid-sized cities in wealthier countries with a relatively low population density.

Lower population density is linked to lower levels of crime and better infrastructure.

At the other end of the spectrum, Damascus in Syria, Lagos in Nigeria and Tripoli in Libya fall at the bottom of the list.

Here are the top 10 most livable cities in 2017:

Melbourne, Australia
    Vienna, Austria
    Vancouver, Canada
    Toronto, Canada
    Tie: Adelaide, Australia and Calgary, Canada
    Perth, Australia
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hamburg, Germany
    Interesting list. I think the top 2 are overrated. No NBA, MLB, MLS team etc among other things. I could understand Singapore maybe.
    With Climate change worsening, Melbourne is going to be unbearable so I imagine it's going to drop significantly.

What do you think of this list? Is your city on it?

Damn i was thinking about going to Lagos and Tripoli for a holiday! I guess i better choose Canada instead!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I just got back from Calgary a few weeks ago and must say that I do not know how it ended up on this list. Loads of panhandlers, inclement weather, and rude business owners.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Basileus View Post
    I just got back from Calgary a few weeks ago and must say that I do not know how it ended up on this list. Loads of panhandlers, inclement weather, and rude business owners.
    If you look at the EIU self-made 'indicators', it's easy to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Basileus View Post
    I'm not sure either but hey it's Canada and it's top 5 so I'm in.

How convenient they leave out the cost of living part in the "livable" calculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    If Canada has such a high standard of living, it should be welcoming much more refugees, so they can experience this high quality too. Like at least a million more.
    Their numbers are laughable compared to germany and sweden.

Canada is pretty nice unless you're a baby seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    If Canada has such a high standard of living, it should be welcoming much more refugees, so they can experience this high quality too. Like at least a million more.
    Their numbers are laughable compared to germany and sweden.
    They should also try bringing in more immigrants from central america and mexico. Diversity is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Only difference between Canadian cities and US cities is the diversity.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2017-08-17 at 12:40 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Too many bums in la and portland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wat, Hamburg in the top 10? That's kinda hard to believe.

Well, out of those I've only been to Vienna, and I can tell you it's an amazing place. Easily the cleanest city I've seen.

The dude who ranked Helsinki as 9th most liveable has a rather strange idea of what "liveable" is. Which makes me question the whole list.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2017-08-17 at 01:48 AM.

I thought that was Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    The dude who ranked Helsinki as 9th most liveable is has a rather strange idea of what "liveable" is. Which makes me question the whole list.
    They probably tried to research Helsinki's culture as a factor but couldn't find a Finn that would talk to them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    That's the fastest way of tanking the livability of your cities.
    Contrary to popular belief of liberals, no-go zones, ghettos and monthly acts of terror are not an improvement to your daily life. Just ask France.

The Aussies and Wieners beat you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Latest rankings just out.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/vancouv...ties-1.3548085

Interesting list. I think the top 2 are overrated. No NBA, MLB, MLS team etc among other things. I could understand Singapore maybe.
    With Climate change worsening, Melbourne is going to be unbearable so I imagine it's going to drop significantly.

What do you think of this list? Is your city on it?
    They're all big cities. That list looks bogus. Most cities are the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vienna is still ahead of any of these canadian cities! And it took in about 60.000 refugees over the last two years.

Go team!