Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I just picked a profession and company that would pay me while I went to school. And also paid for tuition and supplies.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

Having a [part time] job while studying, no matter how trivial, always looks great on a CV at a young age. Shows independence, instead of having mummy and daddy dearest funding you throughout your third-level education.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2017-08-12 at 11:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Fuck no, if I didn't have the massive amounts of free time I have now I'd go insane from stress.

Hell I don't even bother studying outside of class, all you need for written work is Wikipedia and knowledge in how to reword what's written on there, when it comes to the practical stuff you just need to follow a YouTube tutorial.

My dad keeps trying to push me to get a job and to study outside of class but there's absolutely no need.

If "focusing on studies" means sitting at your desk for 7 hours every night, spending 5 hours reading Facebook stuff and 2 hours doing homework, I guess a part-time job would be a productive alternative.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    How do you pay for rent, things you want, school expenses etc if you have no job or are you using loan money?

Also, I worked in both undergrad and grad school. I had a 4.0 average in grad school while taking full time classes, working part time and doing a 20 hour per week internship.

Even, if it is not in your field, get a job, you can always use money to help pay off loans, but a car, move out when you are done with school and it is good experience and shows an employer you are able to handle working and school. Honestly, you sound lazy.
    Maybe I am just lazy, but in terms of money, saving money from a young age and loan covers everything and more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by francisbaud View Post
    If "focusing on studies" means sitting at your desk for 7 hours every night, spending 5 hours reading Facebook stuff and 2 hours doing homework, I guess a part-time job would be a productive alternative.
    Most of my extra time goes into raiding and outside of that working on projects.

You should try finding a work in your area of expertise. If it's a minimal wage it is a minimal wage. What is important is that you're getting experience. Don't work for free though, that path leads only to madness. If you don't want to, start your own projects. Create your own games. Basicly, use those 2 years of your masters to build up your portfolio and skillset, so you're actually employable after you come out of school.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootywooty View Post
    Maybe I am just lazy, but in terms of money, saving money from a young age and loan covers everything and more.

- - - Updated - - -

Most of my extra time goes into raiding and outside of that working on projects.
    Get a job, stop relying on loans and savings to get though school. You are not guaranteed a job after graduation, especially when you have ZERO work experience. Having a degree alone does not get you a job.

7+ Year Old Account
    I can certainly see how having 0 work experience can be a turn down for those who are hiring, but the way I see it, even if it came to that, at least I would have the qualifications achieved without stressing out over finding and keeping a job at the time. My plan is (if I don't find a job in game design after graduating) to work on the side while continuously look for a job in game design. I also work on little projects at home to show evidence of my skills so that would help out a little.
    I worked during my undergrad and masters, and even tho there were very stressful times, i am glad that i did. These days, one of the best ways of getting a job is through your network and references. Even tho it may be a shitty job like a dishwasher, if your boss can put in a good word it makes a difference. Not only that, talking with your co-workers they might know a guy who might work in the field your interested in and so on. Can't remember the number, but been told that the majority of jobs (at least in denmark) are obtained through your network and not through applying to company x and y.

Saying i will get x job once i am done studying or ill just do something on the side until i get it is quite naive. Sometimes it works out, but the majority of the time that simply is not the case.

Hello.

So I was at a Barbecue the other day and a conversation started between my Stepmum and I about whether or not I was going to find a job while doing my Masters. I start a Masters in Game Development in September. My response to this was no because I can afford to play the course fees as well as pay upkeep at home and pay for any essentials I may require. This ended up sparking an argument between us which in the end my sister and father had to step in and defend me because what started off as a conversation ended up with me being slagged off.

The point she was trying to make at first was that I would get work experience (I currently have none), but my argument to that was it wouldn't make any difference if I worked in a bar or shop for the profession I am working towards so I would rather put my full focus into my studies.

My sister was dragged into the conversation because she went to University to become a nurse but had to move away and work, granted she was actually working as a nurse at the same time. She said that if she had the choice, she would not have worked but because she had to move away she had no choice.

I'm not asking this question so I can prove a point, but rather get the opinions from the general public of what they would do if they had the choice and what they think of my decisions. I am genuinely curious to hear your thoughts.
    where exactly is allyour money coming from? most people don't have a silver spoon hidden somewhere in their anatomy.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    where exactly is allyour money coming from? most people don't have a silver spoon hidden somewhere in their anatomy.
    I asked that too, he just said above from savings and loans.

I don't know what you mean by raiding, but if you've got enough money to live and other productive/positive things to do then I guess there's no need for you to be employed. The only issue I see is if later things don't go so well financially and you need to find a job, maybe it's going to be harder to find one with no previous working experience, but that's a risk to take imo and it's worth it if in the end you can focus on your projects and get something going.