Question Could someone look over my log? DPS is lacking. (200k to 300k below sims)

I just came back to the game and have literally never played Rogue above level 20 before, been playing wow off and on since 2005.

I was invited to raid with my guild last Thursday and I really feel like my DPS is lacking based on sims. From what I can tell I'm not using Shadow Dance enough. I'd really like someone to take a look at my log from last weeks Sister's kill. My ilvl is green and my parse is grey so I know something is fucky.

Any advice would be seriously appreciated. I'd rather not hold the raid back if I'm invited to go again, especially considering I would end up being the only raiding Rogue in the guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Shitlord View Post
    I just came back to the game and have literally never played Rogue above level 20 before, been playing wow off and on since 2005.

I was invited to raid with my guild last Thursday and I really feel like my DPS is lacking based on sims. From what I can tell I'm not using Shadow Dance enough. I'd really like someone to take a look at my log from last weeks Sister's kill. My ilvl is green and my parse is grey so I know something is fucky.

Any advice would be seriously appreciated. I'd rather not hold the raid back if I'm invited to go again, especially considering I would end up being the only raiding Rogue in the guild.
    First off, don't bother looking at perf% unless you have really high ilvl(925+). Only look at your ilvl% numbers. Whats the point in caring about perf% when you're ilvl 910? As for Shadow Dance, as long as you never sit on 2 shadow dance charges in a fight, you're using it often enough. There are obvious timings to when you'd actually want to pop it(like with right after symbols of death, vanish, DfA)

Someone more learned with Sub is going to have to go over your logs in detail though as i only know the basics.

I really feel like I have stupid questions, but I need to know the answers to. Is it wasteful to always try and get a 5/6 CP Nightblade up? Is it okay to Eviscerate below 5/6 CP? That raid had a pug rogue who was 905 ilvl(same as me), running Assassin and he was outperforming me by quite a bit on each pull. Something doesn't add up there. Based on everything I've seen, I should have outperformed him. I thought I was doing the sub thing right, but really feel like I'm not after being in a raid environment.

This log shows a comparison. There's a big difference there.

I really feel like I have stupid questions, but I need to know the answers to. Is it wasteful to always try and get a 5/6 CP Nightblade up? Is it okay to Eviscerate below 5/6 CP? That raid had a pug rogue who was 905 ilvl(same as me), running Assassin and he was outperforming me by quite a bit on each pull. Something doesn't add up there. Based on everything I've seen, I should have outperformed him. I thought I was doing the sub thing right, but really feel like I'm not after being in a raid environment.

Rip, you weren't Holowd lol. Everything i wrote from before was assuming you were. Looking at Sisters... Well you missed out on a few SoD/DfA usages. You didn't 2nd pot(i'll assume it was an early pull). You don't have concordance yet...your trinkets are terrible, both of them.

I mean with all of that stacked against you, yea even if you were playing well of course your numbers aren't gonna be the greatest.

Do you really not have a better legendary to use over the boots? Like insignia? Also replace your catlike reflexes fel relic as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Sephiroso; 2017-08-12 at 06:00 PM.

You guys are a similar item level, however he has CoF/Spectre, Prydaz compared to your crafted boots, 2pc T20 and Concordance. Sure you could definitely find ways to improve, but that other rogue significantly out gears you so don't compare yourself to him.

Thank you both for the responses. I did just hit 110 on this hero a week ago. Exactly seven days ago. Should I just not put weight into sims then? Sims say that I should be doing a lot better.

The very first thing to notice is that your nightblade uptime is a bit low. It is very important to have as close to 100% uptime as possible, since it increases you dmg by 15%.
    The second is that your opener is very weak. You shouldn't use backstab in your opener, do the following instead:
    prepot-sb-ss-nb-sd-ss-sod-ss-evis-ss-vanish-ss-dfa-sd-ss-ss-evis-ss

Your sod-dfa-dance combo should look like this: sod-dfa-dance before evis hits-ss-ss-evis-ss. There were only two times when you used evis while dancing, which is a HUGE dps loss. There were also times when you used nightblade while dancing, which you should avoid as much as possible. You should start your combo when you have at least 7 seconds until nightblade falls off. If you strugle to cast 3 ss and 1 evis under your dance, you should pool some more energy before you cast dfa.
    It's good that you use your vanish right before dfa, but it's better to use vanish with 2-3 cps and use a sod-vanish-ss-dfa-sd-ss-ss-evis-ss combo.
    Pay attention to not waste cps with bs, ss and goremaw.
    Crimson vial is an ability which you shouldn't use as much as you did. You have healers whose role is to keep you alive, so focus on your dmg and your dodging ability.
    As others already have said, you should use a 2nd potion, preferably when you have bl up if the fight requires a later use of bl and not on pull.

As far as gear goes, you should run H NH for cof and t19 2p bonus, those two are a huge dps boost and you should aim for some good fel relic, cuz the one with catlike reflexes doesn't help you too much on your dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Seliar View Post
    The very first thing to notice is that your nightblade uptime is a bit low. It is very important to have as close to 100% uptime as possible, since it increases you dmg by 15%.
    The second is that your opener is very weak. You shouldn't use backstab in your opener, do the following instead:
    prepot-sb-ss-nb-sd-ss-sod-ss-evis-ss-vanish-ss-dfa-sd-ss-ss-evis-ss

Your sod-dfa-dance combo should look like this: sod-dfa-dance before evis hits-ss-ss-evis-ss. There were only two times when you used evis while dancing, which is a HUGE dps loss. There were also times when you used nightblade while dancing, which you should avoid as much as possible. You should start your combo when you have at least 7 seconds until nightblade falls off. If you strugle to cast 3 ss and 1 evis under your dance, you should pool some more energy before you cast dfa.
    It's good that you use your vanish right before dfa, but it's better to use vanish with 2-3 cps and use a sod-vanish-ss-dfa-sd-ss-ss-evis-ss combo.
    Pay attention to not waste cps with bs, ss and goremaw.
    Crimson vial is an ability which you shouldn't use as much as you did. You have healers whose role is to keep you alive, so focus on your dmg and your dodging ability.
    As others already have said, you should use a 2nd potion, preferably when you have bl up if the fight requires a later use of bl and not on pull.

As far as gear goes, you should run H NH for cof and t19 2p bonus, those two are a huge dps boost and you should aim for some good fel relic, cuz the one with catlike reflexes doesn't help you too much on your dps.
    Thanks for this. I have some guidance now. This is the first pure DPS hero that I've played since Burning Crusade so I'm definitely lacking on the mindset, especially when it comes to pots. The gear direction is also very helpful. I knew my rotation was fucky when I was doing side-by-side comparisons and after watching a few videos, along with my using NB during ShD.

Deleted
    Have you even considered you just flat out miss experience and skill playing a rogue? Did you expect straight to orange parses? Sub is not a brain dead spec, it does take some time investment to get good at it.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2017-08-18 at 06:40 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wunju View Post
    Have you even considered you just flat out miss experience and skill playing a rogue? Did you expect straight to orange parses? Sub is not a brain dead spec, it does take some time investment to get good at it.
    Yes and he is here to get advices?