Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    how would you know to be scared of some one who stole a gun from a car if you didn't see it happen?
    When i got back to my car and the gun was missing id be pretty scared. All we are saying, is theres less 'bad' that can happen from an offduty officer carrying a gun as opposed to leaving your gun in the car where it can be stolen.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    When i got back to my car and the gun was missing id be pretty scared. All we are saying, is theres less 'bad' that can happen from an offduty officer carrying a gun as opposed to leaving your gun in the car where it can be stolen.
    less bad sure not that its likely either would happen. but that still doesn't make it unreasonable that a off duty cop should have to follow the rules every one else has to he should have left his gun at home in a safe or in a car safe if he wanted it out with him.

you are aware your saying we shouldn't be so damn scared right after saying the cop cant leave his gun in his card cause your scared some one will break in and steal it right?
    I was pointing out the that if he did do as asked, and the firearm was stolen, that people would be grabbing their pitchforks about how easy it is for people to get guns illegally. That it is ridiculous to expect someone to always have to get their weapon in and out of a locker in their vehicle each time they go into a building, all because people might feel a little uneasy due to their own prejudices about firearms and people that carry.

It's also more of a thing of the vast majority of people that carry, concealed or otherwise(other than law enforcement of course), will never every use it outside of shooting at a range. However, it is a thing of the saying about a condom; I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

less bad sure not that its likely either would happen. but that still doesn't make it unreasonable that a off duty cop should have to follow the rules every one else has to he should have left his gun at home in a safe or in a car safe if he wanted it out with him.
    I completely agree with that.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He's a Police Chief, aren't those guys technically always on duty?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Findlyn View Post
    I was pointing out the that if he did do as asked, and the firearm was stolen, that people would be grabbing their pitchforks about how easy it is for people to get guns illegally. That it is ridiculous to expect someone to always have to get their weapon in and out of a locker in their vehicle each time they go into a building, all because people might feel a little uneasy due to their own prejudices about firearms and people that carry.

It's also more of a thing of the vast majority of people that carry, concealed or otherwise(other than law enforcement of course), will never every use it outside of shooting at a range. However, it is a thing of the saying about a condom; I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
    its ridiculous to expect people not to use there property rights to not let people brings guns to there shops. if you want to have a gun follow the rules of having a gun including not bringing it to places they are banned.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    They didn't tell him he couldn't come in nor did they keep an on duty officer from entering. As a patient he wasn't allowed to bring his gun in, which he isn't required to carry at all times. Rational reaction though, a guy can't bring in his gun now you suggest he forgoes his job or commits a crime himself, brilliant.
    Yet nowhere did I suggest he forgoes his job or commit a crime. Taking your time to get to a crime scene is not against the law nor is it forgoing a policeman's job. The police triage crimes all the time to determine what is or isn't more important to get to first.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    I lock my doors at night. Does that make me paranoid?

I think you are projecting. Attributing a need to feel powerful as the reason people do things. i think maybe you should take a look at yourself and see if you have any insecurities.
    Again, false equivalency. Locking your doors at night is considered OK because you won't be awake to detect a possible intruder. Carrying a handgun to a Dr.'s visit is generally considered ridiculous, and perhaps a bit of insane paranoia.

The excuse of carrying a gun everywhere for "protection" against attack covers up the real reason: playing at tough-guy egotism and/or wanting to shoot another human being and being called a "hero" for it.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2017-08-14 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Again, false equivalency. Locking your doors at night is considered OK because you won't be awake to detect a possible intruder. Carrying a handgun to a Dr.'s visit is generally considered ridiculous, and perhaps a bit of insane paranoia.

The excuse of carrying a gun everywhere for "protection" against attack covers up the real reason: playing at tough-guy egotism and/or wanting to shoot another human being and being called a "hero" for it.
    Once again, assuming the motive of anyone that carries. Like i said before, you are focusing on "bring a gun to the doctors" when im saying people that carry, usually just carry everywhere. I dont know why you keep focusing on needing to feel like a hero, maybe thats something you personally are struggling with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    In Texas, private businesses are allowed to forbid guns as long as they show a certain sign that follows regulations. If that sign is shown, they are legally allowed to kick people out for having a gun. On duty officers being the exception because its their job. If they pick and choose who they allow to have guns without a direct need of said gun (see: on duty cop), then they cant really kick people out for having a gun. Gotta be all or nothing, keep it consistent.

So this is a whole lot of nothing.
    Presumably medical clinics benefit from a government granted monopoly on both their operation and education of its workers. They should have let the cop in or have their privileges revoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasukkin View Post
    Assuming that the clinic is private property, I don't see what the problem is here. The clinic was well within its right to ask that the man not bring his firearm into the premises.

He was visiting for an appointment, meaning that he was not there on official business of his department. If he had been called there to act in a capacity to enforce the law, then it would have been a different story; a gun is part of a professional police officer's toolkit and should be brought along when acting in official capacity. It doesn't need to be there when he's off duty.
    If that were the case you could tell a cop to leave his gun in the car when going into your home since your home is private property.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    Presumably medical clinics benefit from a government granted monopoly on both their operation and education of its workers. They should have let the cop in or have their privileges revoked.
    Texas law explicitly allows people to be denied service from private entities for having a gun. Take it up with the law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    If that were the case you could tell a cop to leave his gun in the car when going into your home since your home is private property.
    It's like you didn't even read the post. If the cop is off duty the clinic or yes even you are well within your rights to ask them not to bring their firearms into your building.

I don't know any of the legalities involved but the clinic was definitely being paranoid. Do they really believe an off duty cop with his service gun was going to be a threat? I think they were just making an Antigun statement for the sake of it.
    Depending on what treatment he was there for? Possibly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Texas law explicitly allows people to be denied service from private entities for having a gun. Take it up with the law.
    While this is true.. Law enforcement is exempt apparently.
    http://lawnewz.com/crazy/police-chie...-he-had-a-gun/

Under state law, businesses can put up such notices restricting access to people with firearms. It’s doesn’t matter if the gun-owner has a permit for concealed-carry or open-carry. Individuals who disregard these warnings can be charged with trespassing. But there are exceptions for police officers like Dupuis if their firearm is owned or leased by a governmental entity.
    I see a few questions with this case here.

1. Why does a cop, who is at the time on taxpayers money, walk into a doctors office to seek treatment of whatever kind?
    2. If 1 doesn't apply because he ain't on duty, why does he run around like John Wayne while off duty, at a doctors office?
    3. Why is the clerk so overly frightened by the appearance/presence of an armed Sheriff?

I think the no gun policy is indeed a good thing, but a cop won't bother me much.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    While this is true.. Law enforcement is exempt apparently.
    http://lawnewz.com/crazy/police-chie...-he-had-a-gun/

I see a few questions with this case here.

1. Why does a cop, who is at the time on taxpayers money, walk into a doctors office to seek treatment of whatever kind?
    2. If 1 doesn't apply because he ain't on duty, why does he run around like John Wayne while off duty, at a doctors office?
    3. Why is the clerk so overly frightened by the appearance/presence of an armed Sheriff?

I think the no gun policy is indeed a good thing, but a cop won't bother me much.
    I imagine for #2 it would be for when they're on duty. Would need to know the specific police department's standards for off duty carrying of their gov issued firearms though. So for now, assuming its his own personal.

3... not so much frightened as need to be consistent.

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine for #2 it would be for when they're on duty. Would need to know the specific police department's standards for off duty carrying of their gov issued firearms though. So for now, assuming its his own personal.

3... not so much frightened as need to be consistent.
    Apparently, sworn in law enforcement officers are "on duty" 24/7, some say.
    I can see and agree to this, yet I think there's still some distinction. That's the difference of being on the clock within the schedule, or off the clock and just a police officer.

To 3, I feel actually sorry for that lady. She only tried to enforce company policy, and now she looks like a fool for doing so. The one thing I don't agree with is the Clinic's formal apology.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know any of the legalities involved but the clinic was definitely being paranoid. Do they really believe an off duty cop with his service gun was going to be a threat? I think they were just making an Antigun statement for the sake of it.
    Maybe they didn't think he was a threat, but made the other people in the office uncomfortable? You know, the people who don't know he's a police officer?

Besides anyone that has to walk around with an open carry weapon is a bit, erhm, "special" anyway, I'd have asked him to put in his truck too.

Deleted
    Their laws are garbage, including the extra info in wildtrees post, and infringe on citizens basic rights

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    Their laws are garbage, including the extra info in wildtrees post, and infringe on citizens basic rights
    and infringing on private property rights would also be infringing on basic rights. In Texas, private property rights generally edge out gun rights. Too bad so sad.