Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    OP, don't forsake this poor fella:

Just look at him! This is the fate of things that don't get updated!
    Look at this poor creature, give that critter an update!

Quote Originally Posted by Danuru View Post
    Wrong about what? Correlation =/= Causation? Or do you have proof that updated models were a direct cause of cut content?
    Yes. WOD= Your proof.

Quote Originally Posted by zoolmod View Post
    So one of the things that keeps popping up in the expansion leak threads, and something everyone seems to want, is more updated models/animations. Why? I genuinely cannot understand why people would be so excited. Sure, its a nice thing to have, but we saw what happened in WoD. The updated model work took so much time and effort and left us with very little actual content. personally, i don't care how things look, especially since models are hidden behind armor sets, and animations are really not noticable during raids/dungeons anyway since usually its just a huge clusterfuck. Do people really want them to take time out of developing real content, features and gameplay in favor of graphics?
    The people who make models don't design dungeons.

Too bad that you don't have an eye for visuals. Many people do.

Because new models are cool and I don't want to have quilboar texture all my life ?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It might not matter to some people who have been playing for a long time, but for new players or people coming back after a long break, the old models looked like shit. There's no way you can convince someone to start playing a game that is visually 12+ years old over a game like FF or GW.

The last update made them look like cartoon characters, we need updated models and animations that actually makes sense in this game.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't speak for other players, but for me, the way my character looks and moves is very important.

On one of my first characters (back in 2005), I didn't even equip any Shoulders until I was level 60, since I thought they all looked stupid. (No prizes for guessing that "Hide Shoulders" is one of my favourite game updates of all time!).

And even now, I can't bring myself to play a male worgen caster, because of their ridiculous "windmill arms" animation when they cast spells.

So, when I read that the Devs are adding or updating or improving the models, I'm happy and excited to see what they come up with.

Would like to see them eventually update all the models in the game to a more modern standard. Although with Promo pets/mounts that look unique the question is raised of "do we change them". Zergling for example. Do we make it look more akin to the SC2 Zergling or leave it alone?

But seriously Blizzard. Update Worgen and get rid of the clipping already.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabbywabby View Post
    The model updates had nothing to do with the lack of content in WoD. WoD existed just so we wouldn't be doing Siege of Orgrimmar for another 2 years, all it was was a filler expansion with little effort put into it while they focused on Legion.
    Nah, WoD started to develop the horde and alliance towns, then did a complete 360 and "lost" that work (bladespire as a ~20 quests hub, Karabor completely useless except for one scenario); then they just spent 6 more months developing garrisons and Warspear, which leads to ~9 months of "nothing" done (almost one third of the development time for WoD). Garrisons took a lot of development for the gameplay they offered; but they at least served as the core for class halls. You can even see a tomb called "Ray D. Tear" on the alliance garrison, because they had to skip an entire raid tier (Shattrath raid, as we can see in http://i.imgur.com/Eo8Jzhp.jpg) to get the garrisons done "in time" (before subs dropped drastically).

Also, Archimonde has a lot more sense on Shattrath: The whole map is invaded by the legion forces; Gorefiend escaped in Auchindoun (same zone) and lots of toys on Talador are legion-centered (like the beacon that displays Archimonde).If you look closely at some HFC raid bosses they have a lot more sense on Talador: Velhari, Socrethar (lots of sargerei on Talador, Nyami on Auchindoun),Iskar (they explain a lot of the bird story on Talador, and how they are attacked by the legion),Zakuun, Xhul'Horac, Mannoroth (obviously being demons...)and the High council (servers of Gul'Dan = Legion).

It also explains why they cutted down the whole "Grom is the final raid boss" thing, they decided that we only had time for one raid tier and we needed the cliffhanger of Gul'Dan "escaping" from us; so Archimonde was necessary; while Grom only serves as the finisher of the xpac story, an xpac that almost everyone was criticizing because the "shit story" and "shit gameplay".

If you look closely at other bosses on HFC you can see them being easily adapted to "not fel" creatures. ¿Hellfire assault? Cut down the fel cannons for normal cannons and the warlocks for berserkers that do AoE and voilá. ¿Iron Reaver? With the technology Garrosh offered you just make it to do fire damage insted of fel damage and paint it red. Kormrok already has no sense as a fel creature even afeter the adaptation. Kilrogg could just launch a lot of blood and make orcs evolve using Blood (like in the Dark Portal scenario) instead of fel. Fel energy changed for blood disease or something, the mind control transforms you into a mindless abomination. Just pair it with some more random orcs and creatures from the Tannan Jungle pre-fel and suddenly you have a whole raid out of nothing, you can even add some characters that where killed too fast althought they had a major role on the story (like Azuka Bladefury, Orgrim, or Kargath scaping on HM Beta vs the live version).
    The wholee "skip the garrisons" would lead to a MUCH bigger number of encounters and variety:
    *HM: Opening raid, 7 bosses, ogre thematic
    *BrF: First patch, 10 bosses, orc (blackrock) thematic, with Farahlon as a new quest place (via train, Gorgrond used to have a big ass train going by, like you can see on Grimrail Depot).
    *Shattrath, Second patch, 8-9 bosses, demon thematic, introduces a new reagent (Felblight) and develops the cliffhanger for Legion
    *HFC, Third patch, 9-12 bosses, orc thematic, finishes the expansion, Gorehowl as a legendary drop from Grom (like they had on datamined early versions).
    Every raid lasts for 3-4 months (like HM and BrF did) for a total of 9-12 months of "content" (the quantity they where aiming for WoD in the first place) and 8-12 months of HFC while they where finishing Legion.

Look WoD at this way and suddenly it has a lot more sense, lots of the cutted down content where fillers the expansion really needed to get some content outside of fucking garrisons (they didn't have a lot of content anyway) and raids to not be bored of "orc temathic" (Ogre-Orc-Legion-Orc). Also is much more similar to Legion raid and general content design which is imo as good as Blizzard can do nowadays.
    Last edited by mmocc0105de390; 2017-08-17 at 02:15 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    New models are not better, they are just different. All that they have a little better is texture resolution. I won't argue now about stupid changed animations, inconsistency of forms, colors and hypertraffic cartoonishness of characters (no they never were, there're different cartoon styles and they took wrong direction), because these are the things of the past days (see the signature). But if you take into account that these changes led to withdrawal of players who cares about their image inside the game, including me, but didn't involve anyone in (these are all the same low resolution textures, only have been made a little instauration, I didn't see any person running around and cackling about how everything looks good and this was the reason getting into the game), so...

Models changes were a failure: the total number of players due to changes became less. No one would have left if they won't changed anything, they only continued to complain that they want an update, and if changed were adequate they could probably have called for more, but this didn't happen. They left and so left company's reputation in eyes of these players and therefore also those who communicate with them.

If you are confused by this conclusion, then you should know that leaving people because of this reason is a confirmed fact.

New animations that they represent in 7.3 only confirm that they didn't understand where they were wrong. The same wrong posture, stupid palms jerking, weak quivering crooked limbs, scary faces, and so on.

ps. Therefore, if someone from old or new friends asks me, answer is the same: don't bother yourself, there's nothing to look at, just pass by. If company likes this, then everything is OK, they can keep course in the same direction
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-03-05 at 08:13 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseDay View Post
    Yes. WOD= Your proof.
    Your "argument" has the depth of a puddle, as does your reasoning and perception. Your posts = my proof. See how that works?
    (Hint: it doesn't; try harder)

So one of the things that keeps popping up in the expansion leak threads, and something everyone seems to want, is more updated models/animations. Why? I genuinely cannot understand why people would be so excited. Sure, its a nice thing to have, but we saw what happened in WoD. The updated model work took so much time and effort and left us with very little actual content. personally, i don't care how things look, especially since models are hidden behind armor sets, and animations are really not noticable during raids/dungeons anyway since usually its just a huge clusterfuck. Do people really want them to take time out of developing real content, features and gameplay in favor of graphics?
    Blizzard has multiple teams all assigned to different projects. One team does models. Another team does instances. Another team does quests, etc etc so on and so forth. The lack of sufficient content in WoD was not caused by the art team making new models.

It's the same way when people say things like "pet battles cost us a raid tier" that makes us roll our eyes.

Are you telling me that it is possible to have a decent male character option in the game as of now? Everything is either too bulky or completely wimpy like Belf or tiny like Gnome/Goblin or a cheesy zombie like Forsaken. Even the "Humans" in this game are like freaking Superman even if you decide to be a Mage. What happens to someone who wants to play a male that isn't extremely muscular but isn't a teenage supermodel like Belf?

With that being said, the game definitely needs to have new options either in the form of new races or updated models with expanded customization. Cause when you read the books, you see a nice diversity going on, but when you play - you are thrusted into a corner with few niche options.

Apologies for this being a rant post, but I just couldn't stand to see the need for updated models to be a matter of debate instead of certainty.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Protip: Animation artists aren't content devs.

And yes, I want everything updated eventually.

Models right now have lots of jarring posture and shape issues (stemming from trying too hard to "conserve" the old stuff's "spirit"). They should have made bolder changes to fix them.

For example, male night elves are an absolutely horrid mess. Their melee pose is throwing (bulbous) limbs all around and spazzing furiously, which is completely out of character for that race.

Walking, running and jumping animations should be more natural, not trying to force visual differences so much that they're awkward. It's possible to keep identity and move around the right way.

But as always, dumb nostalgia ruins everything and makes for half-assed results.
    Once upon a time... the end. Next time, try twice upon a time.

What "actual content" do you think animators work on, besides... animations?
    What other content would these people give you besides new animations?

I love the new models and the new animations look sick. Would I rather have an extra raid tier? Yes, but these guys are not the people that would have worked on that anyway so it's not really an issue.

7+ Year Old Account
    I want proper updates of the old models - the stuff we got felt way off and didn't look familiar at all to the old models in regards to faces. Very disappointing.

So, I guess I'll just wait for new face-options and get proper updated versions of the old stuff. I also like having new animations, the same 2 animations you kept seeing was getting a bit meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    cause the models in WoD are a bit lame, i still can't play a normal orc like Thrall and others in the cinematics
    Honestly the orcs should stand completely upright, with trolls and forsaken getting the option to stand straight or slouch. I would insta-roll an orc and a troll if there was a non-slouch/hunched option.

The updated models are a waste of time since you just see your characters' armor anyway. The animations have potential, but unfortunately they've all been pretty terrible. Run animations, specifically.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Honestly the orcs should stand completely upright, with trolls and forsaken getting the option to stand straight or slouch. I would insta-roll an orc and a troll if there was a non-slouch/hunched option.
    exactly, nowhere the orcs are hunched, not in the movie, not in cinematics, artworks, pictures, games, hell, not even the peons are hunched in warcraft 3, why i need to play one?

they now how look retard and make the hunched model orc in the cutscenes upright, like Grom and the other warlords