Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dream Computer Creation

Edit: It won't let me post links, sorry

So it's been 8 years since I upgraded my computer. Time to do this right.

Budget: Wife says below 3,500 ; Would like to stay below 3,000
    Resolution: Max I can run
    Games / Settings Desired: Max everything
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): No
    Parts that can be reused: Mouse, Speakers, Keyboard
    Do you need an OS? Yes
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? No

My Idea: pcpartpicker. com/list/rsdMkT

I am planning on Using the Noctua for a Push/Pull on the H115I
    The Silentwings 3 for the case fans, 140 exhaust and 2 lowers, 3 120's on the front.

- - - Updated - - -

CPU: Intel 7700k /w Corsair H115i Cooler and 4 Noctua NF-A14
    GPU: Gigabyte 1080 TI Aorus Xtreme Edition
    MB: Asus Maximus IX Code
    Memory: G-skill Trident Z DDR-4133(F4-4133C19D-16GTZKW)
    SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Case: Corsair Air 740
    Power: Corsair AX760I
    Windows 10 Pro

10+ Year Old Account
    Just tossing this out there, and being 'that guy', but you can honestly shave off about $400 if not more with no performance loss (or no real loss anyway) with a lot of that hardware. It's your money and you're welcome to spend it, but if you want to save money, you can. Also keep in mind, that's a lot of fans. It will make noise most likely, just because of all that.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Just tossing this out there, and being 'that guy', but you can honestly shave off about $400 if not more with no performance loss (or no real loss anyway) with a lot of that hardware. It's your money and you're welcome to spend it, but if you want to save money, you can. Also keep in mind, that's a lot of fans. It will make noise most likely, just because of all that.
    I am open to all suggestions. No reason to waste money. I just want a blazing fast computer. What suggestions do you have?

About the fans, thats why I am buying the upgraded fans, they are ultra quiet to my knowledge(19db or so) I can then also tune the fans down to make them even quieter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Win 10 Pro - Is Pro needed?
    Motherboard: A board half it's price will largely do the same thing
    RAM: No point in getting it that fast, chances of getting it up there are unlikely.
    SSD: The speed difference is not noticeable in real world applications, the price is double though
    PSU: "Platinum" is a marketing gimmick. A perfectly good Bronze Modular for half the price will work, even lower wattage would be fine
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I mean if you're really planning to drop that kind of cash, wouldn't waiting for the Intel/Nvidia response to the latest AMD releases be worthwhile?

Coffee Lake is going to be a substantial jump across the board over the current gen.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinJ View Post
    I mean if you're really planning to drop that kind of cash, wouldn't waiting for the Intel/Nvidia response to the latest AMD releases be worthwhile?

Coffee Lake is going to be a substantial jump across the board over the current gen.
    Well, nvidia already basically stated that since Vega is not any real threat to them, they will not be releasing Volta anytime soon. No reason to wait for nvidia.

Waiting for coffee lake, reasonable.

I guess my idea behind not waiting, is there is always something new around the corner.

Also my current computer is having a rough time. Settings on low everything and I can barely get 30 FPS(Intel-2760 or something(not at home) and GTX 570) just aren't cutting it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by havix View Post
    I guess my idea behind not waiting, is there is always something new around the corner.

Also my current computer is having a rough time. Settings on low everything and I can barely get 30 FPS(Intel-2760 or something(not at home) and GTX 570) just aren't cutting it anymore.
    while it's true there is always something aroud the corner; coffee lake will get announced on 21 august, that's next week, waiting till then should be no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    while it's true there is always something aroud the corner; coffee lake will get announced on 21 august, that's next week, waiting till then should be no big deal.
    Ok, I will wait. Im hunting all next week anyways. So it won't hurt me.

What about the rest of the build, any suggestions/changes?

Yes, that is true, there is always something around the corner. However, there are times it is appropriate to wait. It was appropriate to wait just before the 10xx series launched as well, as that was one of the most massive generational gains we have seen in quite some time. This is likely to be similar since coffee lake i5s will be 6 core systems instead of 4 core. It's a gain that is actually worth waiting for whereas most of the time it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    One other question, They are announcing next week on the 21st, but won't be available for another 3-4 months, correct?

One other question, They are announcing next week on the 21st, but won't be available for another 3-4 months, correct?
    Not sure when they will be available, but it should be a lot sooner then 3-4 months as by then the next series of motherboards will start to arrive. The Z370 (which are basically rebranded Z270's) mobo's will come out at launch in Q3 or Q4 of this year, the Z390 (which has the new cfl chipset) should arrive in Q1 2018, if the CPU's only launch in 3-4 months there is no purpose to the Z370 ones.

Now if they do launch later then expected you can still got for the current line up if you are in a hurry, but no harm done waiting a couple days and seeing what's what.

Where does this keep cropping up? Theyve said they were coming out this august since like... last december.

15+ Year Old Account
    PSU: "Platinum" is a marketing gimmick. A perfectly good Bronze Modular for half the price will work, even lower wattage would be fine
    Um what? Platinum is not a marketing gimmick. It is a rating which means the PSU is more efficient converting AC to DC. Platinum is 8% more efficient on a 20% load than Bronze. Being more efficient means your energy bill will be less and it will have less heat into your computer because that less efficient energy turns into heat.

Whether someone makes a choice to buy a higher rating or not is an argument if it is worth more money, but it is certainly not just a 'gimmick'.

Though some companies do try to throw on a gold rating on a silver one, and in that case take a look at http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php for the psu that you are thinking about buying.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Um what? Platinum is not a marketing gimmick. It is a rating which means the PSU is more efficient converting AC to DC. Platinum is 8% more efficient on a 20% load than Bronze. Being more efficient means your energy bill will be less and it will have less heat into your computer because that less efficient energy turns into heat..
    How is it not? While what you said is factually true, in real world application it's not.

Lets break down that 8%. And I'm being -very- generous here. The actual numbers would be lower.

Let's pretend he was running that system at FULL STEAM, 100% CPU, 100% GPU, the entire year, in the most expensive electrical bracket (~18c/kwh) possible. He'd save $60 a year. That's a lot, right? Except... It's not.

The numbers are less, even with gaming, and I'm fairly certain he's not gaming 24/7, without a lick of sleep. Even saying 8 hours of gaming every night, 365 nights a year, I imagine is generous. Even then, he'd save $20 a year. Real numbers end up being about $8 a year. So he pays $140 for a Platinum PSU that saves him $8 a year in power at best. Instead of a decent, modular, 650w one for $60-70. It would literally take 8-10 years to simply break even on the savings. Or just save it up front with virtually no downside.

Yeah, we're spending like 2 grand, so $60 may not seem like much, but it's still money saved at no downside.

Wait for coffee Lake, save on the Motherboard, save on the RAM (that's pointlessly fast, it won't even go that high, so your effectively gimping yourself because it will have a higher latency than lower ram) save on PSU. I agree with chazus, basically. Exept I'm an advocate for SSD's, get one... seriously, do it. I have the 250GB version of the samsung pro, I've got my OS and WoW on it, and I feel like it's saving me a lifetime of waiting. 3 second boot time in W10, and loading screens in wow are a mere flicker. The QoL of having a Samsung pro is just great, worth it if you have that much disposable cash, definitely. I wish I got the 500gb now...
    Corsair Air cases are my favourite, I have the 540 and the amount of space you get in there is awesome, cable management is easy peasy too.

I'd recommend getting more storage though, that 500gb will go fast, You want a 1/2 TB HDD too. unless you literally have nothing but wow on your PC.

15+ Year Old Account
    How is it not? While what you said is factually true, in real world application it's not.

Lets break down that 8%. And I'm being -very- generous here. The actual numbers would be lower.

Let's pretend he was running that system at FULL STEAM, 100% CPU, 100% GPU, the entire year, in the most expensive electrical bracket (~18c/kwh) possible. He'd save $60 a year. That's a lot, right? Except... It's not.

The numbers are less, even with gaming, and I'm fairly certain he's not gaming 24/7, without a lick of sleep. Even saying 8 hours of gaming every night, 365 nights a year, I imagine is generous. Even then, he'd save $20 a year. Real numbers end up being about $8 a year. So he pays $140 for a Platinum PSU that saves him $8 a year in power at best. Instead of a decent, modular, 650w one for $60-70. It would literally take 8-10 years to simply break even on the savings. Or just save it up front with virtually no downside.

Yeah, we're spending like 2 grand, so $60 may not seem like much, but it's still money saved at no downside.
    You forget the fact that it provides less heat, which is useful keeping your computer quieter and have less heat. And how many times are you going to change your psu? I never have had one break on me, they seem to last forever for me. I would take a higher rated psu rather than faster ram. People spend more on things that give them much less.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    You forget the fact that it provides less heat, which is useful keeping your computer quieter and have less heat. And how many times are you going to change your psu?
    Again, factually true. It does generate more heat.. A literally undetectable amount, unless you actually got testing equipment. I feel that 6-8 years is a 'good' lifespan of a PSU, before I'd consider replacing it simply due to wear and tear. That's a long time to simply break even on savings when you can save up front.

15+ Year Old Account
    Again, factually true. It does generate more heat.. A literally undetectable amount, unless you actually got testing equipment. I feel that 6-8 years is a 'good' lifespan of a PSU, before I'd consider replacing it simply due to wear and tear. That's a long time to simply break even on savings when you can save up front.
    And it should even last longer because it has less heat. People spend more money on even more worthless computer things, while a good psu can actually be useful. A bad psu could even fuck your computer up.

10+ Year Old Account
    And it should even last longer because it has less heat. People spend more money on even more worthless computer things, while a good psu can actually be useful. A bad psu could even fuck your computer up.
    I don't disagree, but a cheaper good PSU will do the exact same thing and last just as long. That excess heat you're speaking of is literally a non-issue.

If we were talking about 800w instead of ~200, on an oooold 50% efficiency thing instead of 85-90, it would be a concern, but that technology is long gone. Hence why it's just a marketing gimmick now, and not an actual concern.

Anyway, we're getting off topic here.