Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I'm teasing I'm good on supplies and location.
    Damn, I was going to ask where I can sign up. I'm not going to just sit around waiting for someone to rob or kill me for my supplies!
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I'd eat dog or cat food if I had nothing else available and I was starving enough.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would just die from having no electricity or running water in a mater of hours X_X

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually kinda like vienna sausages.

So yeah I'd eat canned meat no problem. It'd get boring after a while but if the choice was between starvation and eating canned meat...I'd eat canned meat.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I'm a type 1 Diabetic, aka insulin dependent (juvenile onset). I'd die eventually if something like zombies, fallout, or... a meteor ever happened. Insulin has a shelf life, and needs to be kept cold. It's also caused by an autoimmune disorder. I'd live off canned meat if I wasn't, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I know this sounds kind of funny. But I actually NEED to eat carbs because my body sees normal ketosis (like the keto diet) as DKA. My blood sugar spikes, and if there's no insulin. Well... it's a long, painful death. I think I can get away with a minimum of 100 carbs a day before I go into normal ketosis. It varies with each t1. Can safely follow a LOW carb diet so long as you're careful. I tried the least strict one and still went into ketosis. So I just avoid it. I'm also super sensitive to my insulin (like the anti- Type 2). Doesn't take much for me to correct carbs and highs.

Deleted
    No. I would rather die than risk my health by eating food.

Vegetable garden.

Cow for milk and meat. Sheep for wool and cheese. Pigs for bacon. Etc.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Vegetable garden.

Pending on the disaster, all of that might be destroyed.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Vegetable garden.

You would need some security to, people would murder you for all that loot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    My Friends and I will be armed and waiting in our Vault for you. Hopefully, you'll already have hit a few other bunkers so we can take from you what you took from them.
    So you're going to trap you and your friends in a vault lol guess that'll show me.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

So you're going to trap you and your friends in a vault lol guess that'll show me.
    Who said anything about trapping ourselves?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Damn, I was going to ask where I can sign up. I'm not going to just sit around waiting for someone to rob or kill me for my supplies!
    Lol nah better to have a hideaway than a bunker. And trust me in this hypothetical I'm sure plenty of raiders will be doing what I said.

If you've ever been on the actual brink of starvation, you'll eat literally anything. Nothing changes human behavior more greatly than starvation.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    You would need some security to, people would murder you for all that loot.
    Naw, we're a tight community. If someone is hungry they'll get fed. Also all of us together about 2,000 people are more than enough to stop bandits.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Naw, we're a tight community. If someone is hungry they'll get fed. Also all of us together about 2,000 people are more than enough to stop bandits.
    Sounds good

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Who said anything about trapping ourselves?
    You did or did you not think about that making your comment towards my joke. Yeah vaults can protect you if you're in them, not from what's not in them. Meaning AIR

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Pending on the disaster, all of that might be destroyed.
    Then people are fucked royally.

My choice is same as Hubcap's choice above. Living in former USSR country there is no shortage of dachas (small house in remote location with vegetable garden), I'll easily find one to occupy or will drive to relative's dacha (better choice, but very long drive to other side of country so might not be possible) that is about 200 meters from Russian border. Unlike western houses, all dachas have vegetable gardens. It used to be a necessity in USSR times to grown our own vegetables, so everyone who could get one, got one and after fall of USSR they are still very popular.

What a privileged ass thread lol

There are already millions of people in the third world who eat far worse than canned meat to survive

You did or did you not think about that making your comment towards my joke. Yeah vaults can protect you if you're in them, not from what's not in them. Meaning AIR
    I was using Vault in the "Fallout" sense of the term.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Not even jesting but even though the threats have simmered down, my family has one of those underground bunkers stored with canned food and water. Shelves upon shelves of canned spam, "beef," and vienna sausages.

I never really looked into this much since it was their business, but I recently did some reading into the meat goods and found out they're what you call "mystery meat" no one eats other than out of desperation. Made out of animal ass and who knows what else?

I reeled knowing this but, hey, if the world was in something like WW3 or an apocalypse was happening, would you take the health risk and still eat this stuff anyway?
    At the point where you are starving, bark would seem appetizing. Canned meat would be a gourmet feast.